Evergreen Chinese Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Chinese restaurant in Minneapolis serving a variety of dishes, including Cantonese, Taiwanese, and Hakka specialties. Offers vegetarian and vegan options, and the vegetarian meals are cooked in separate wok. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Non-veg

First Review by amybee
no whey!
no whey!

Vegan options galore

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

What an awesome find! I came to visit a friend in Minneapolis, and she said this place had good reviews. I whole-heartedly agree! There were a ton of options on the menu, and a considerable number of vegan options. I went with the Three Cup Tofu and it was delicious! The atmosphere is a little outdated, but that's the only con I can say. The food is what's important, and it was very good. The owners were super charming too. We actually came here twice in the four days I was in town.

Pros: tons of veg options, good prices, friendly owners
Cons: outdated interior (but who cares?)
jjslaten
jjslaten

A great Vegan Expireance

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

My wife and I have been vegan for just over a month. We went to Evergreens for dinner on New years 2013 and had a wonderful time.
Do not judge the restaurant by its outward appearance on first impression, or you will miss out on something special. Our first impression was apprehensive as the decor is completely minimalistic; I think this may be to help them in keeping their prices low (it's downright cheap!).
The food was excellent. We had the vegan rolls and seaweed knots for appetizers. The vegan rolls were flavorful and delicious and not greasy like you find at most places. The seaweed knots were tender, flavorful, and just the right amount of spicy. We had the potato and mock duck as well as the 3 cup tofu for entree. The mock duck was so convincing I had to taste it carefully to tell that it was not real. I loved duck before going vegan so this was a huge plus for me. The 3 cup tofu was as good as everyone says. The tea was great as well- the perfect temperature and flavor.
It is a small space and very quiet. Staff are attentive and service is very fast. We will definitely be back.

Pros: Affordable, Delicious food, extensive vegan choices
Cons: minimal decor
g-force
g-force

Real Chinese Food (Not American-Chinese-Style)

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

Evergreen Chinese Restaurant is real Chinese food, unlike almost all other "chinese" restaurants in town serving American Chinese-style food. The owners and chefs are Chinese-Taiwanese and vegetarian. Though non-vegetarian items are avaialable (so it is not a true vegetarian restauarant), a separate Wok is used to cook vegetarian items. Even non-veg menu items can be specially ordered "soo-da" (vegetarian).

Because Taiwan has Chinese people from every part of China, it has every style of Chinese regional foods, plus the local "Haaka" Taiwanese island style.

Quality is top notch. Service is great. Price and decor are modest. Hard to find the first time, have to go downstairs.

Simply the best! I learned about it via the Minnesota Vegetarian Society (now defunct), and it quickly became my favorite.

Pros: great flavors, variety, large menu
Cons: decor is modest
condekedar
condekedar

One of my all-time favorites

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2008

I eat Evergreen (take-out or dine-in) at least twice a week, if not more. It is one of the best Chinese/Taiwanese restaurants I've ever had the pleasure of patronizing. Evergreen offers excellent vegetarian and vegan dishes, from the spicy, colorful mixed vegetables with fried tofu, to the tender mock beef with broccoli or the mock chicken with blackbean sauce. My favorite dishes (and I've basically tried the entire menu) are most definitely: three-cup tofu (herbal and aromatic!); house-style eggplant with basil (deliciously smooth, fragrant and subtle); five-spice dried tofu with bell peppers (unusual and savory); and mock beef or mock pork with garlic sauce (great array of textures and flavors).

The owners and servers are always friendly and the menu is diverse for meat and non-meat eaters alike. It's rarely ever crowded and they have good hours. The quality, variety and reasonable prices of the dishes make this the best Chinese/Taiwanese restaurant in Minneapolis, and one of my favorites of all time. Highly recommended.

Pros: Quality, Taste, Service
Cons: Not 100% vegetarian
Guest
Guest

Wonderful food

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2007

Evergreen offers excellent vegetarian and vegan dishes, from the spicy, colorful mixed vegetables with fried tofu, to the subtle, tender mock beef with broccoli. The waiters were friendly and the menu is diverse for meat and non-meat eaters alike. They took our orders promptly, but the food was a bit slow to arrive. Nevertheless, the quality, variety and reasonable prices of the dishes make this one of the better Chinese/Taiwanese restaurants in Minneapolis. Highly recommended.

Pros: Quality, Variety, Price
Cons: Orders slow to arrive
amybee
amybee

the best of the cities

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2007

I LOVE EVERGREEN. My favorites are the "lemongrass mock beef" and "three cup tofu". I have never been able to find anything even close. The flavors are unique; while not totally vegetarian the owner/cook assures me that a seperate pan is used to cook any meats; the servers are friendly (maybe it is my at least weekly habit);and I might have to go there tonight for dinner. Just thinking about it makes me hungry for it! I prefer food quality and price to fancy ambiance.

Pros: wide variety, inexpensive, excellent food

Dear Owner and Manager of Evergreen Chinese Restaurant: