CLOSED: Evergreen Cafe

Veggie cafe offering a varied menu. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly

Mama Fabun
Mama Fabun

Great Service, Horrible Food

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2011

We stopped here during our short visit in SLC. After a long drive we were hoping to find some comforting vegan food. The service was wonderful but of the four menu items we ordered, the quality ranged from bad to inedible. Unfortunately, a two-cow rating is too high in my opinion.

Pros: good service
Cons: awful food
xbeeganx
xbeeganx

I love this place

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

Personally i love this place and could eat here everyday but it is not for everyone they do not have onions or garlic in any of their food and that might make some of the flavors different than most Chinese restaurants. I have been here with some open minded meat eaters and they also loved it, the service is always good and the staff is really friendly. I would recommend everyone at least try it once, my favorite is the soy curry. Also everything used to be vegan but the company that made the mushroom stem started adding whey into it but everything can be made with soy as a replacement.

Pros: Good Food, Good Price, Friendly staff
Cons: Different flavors
christytoes
christytoes

Love!

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2011

I love Evergreen. Its such a little hole in the wall jewel. Ignore the decor, and just enjoy the delicious vegetarian food. It will satisfy you like nothing else.

Pros: Food, Service
Cons: Decor

Meghanyeah
Meghanyeah

AMAZING!!

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

I found this place to be one of the most refreshing experiences I have ever had. My favorite is their potato curry (#7) and their Yan-Su Chi (#27). Not the fastest service when it came time to pay, but the food came fast and is delicious! Also have very friendly servers.

Pros: Incredible food, Friendly service, Great atmosphere
Cons: Under staffed at times
veggeek
veggeek

I've had better.

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2010

Decent, but not impressive. A little too sweet for my tastes.

Pros: Friendly staff
Touringvegan
Touringvegan

They need to step it up

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

I went here to see how it was after reading mixed reviews. I'm sad to say it wasn't very good. The hot and sour soup was terrible. The sauces that came with the meal were bland and I'm not even sure what they were. The springroll sauce was similar to a sour,watered down ketchup.
Pricewise it was cheap and the food came out fast. Make sure you ask what is vegan and what is not if that concerns you because it doesn't say on the menu.

Pros: Cheap, Fast
Cons: Poor quality, Small menu, Bad food
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Ever Green House

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2010

The of the best restuarants I have been to. The staff was friendly about asking if I was vegetarian or vegan because of the non-vegan items on the menu. Although; there were a few vegan items to chose from, it was very delicious. Will definitely go back again.

Pros: Friendly
phillyphan801
phillyphan801
  • non-vegetarian

Awesome food!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

My buddy is vegeterian, so he prompted us to eat here. I am neither vegatarian/vegan/raw foodist, albeit I try. Food was absolutely outstanding. I guarantee that I will go back. I want to try everything on their menu. I had the #7, a curry plate, with spring wraps for an appetizer and a bowl of Hot and sour soup. All of which was amazing, and my main dish was a HUGE serving.

All of this was complimented with very friendly service. If you're contemplating eating there.....KNOCK IT OFF AND GO!!!

I give it a 10 and will be back soon.

Pros: awesome food, big portions, very friendly
Cons: none
KatPag
KatPag

Perhaps it was a bad day at Evergreen?

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2009

This place receives great reviews, so we stopped off on a road trip from CA to MN. It was at once the worst vegan meal I've ever had (been vegan for 11 years) and the worst Chinese food I've ever had. There were inordinate amounts of sugar in everything. The hot and sour soup was neither spicy nor sour; instead, it was a thick sweet syrup with bamboo shoots in it. We had the pepper steak and a tofu dish, and only the tofu was palatable. The pepper steak was again super sweet and not spicy. The tofu was less sweet, but was pretty bland. Maybe sugary Chinese food is a Utah thing or maybe it was a really off day at Evergreen, but I will never eat here again. There appear to be a range of veggie options in Salt Lake City, and I wouldn't want to risk this experience again.

By the way, I think it is strange that users cannot rank vegetarian restaurants lower than two cows. There are some bad vegetarian restaurants out there, and others need to know. Just because we're vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean that we don't have taste buds and don't deserve a decent meal.

Pros: Seems well liked
Cons: Sugary, Bland, No spice
VeganNikki
VeganNikki

Really good food

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2009

This restaurant is very good and ran by great people. I looooove the sesame chicken't! Good value for the portions!

Pros: Yummy, Healthy, Very Friendly
Cons: Small restaurant, sometimes a little slow, sometimes very busy
neekole
neekole

my favorite chinese food in salt lake

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

closed on sundays. eat in or take out. accepts credit cards. friendly staff. nice atmosphere.

i have probably eaten more than half the menu at this place. my favorites are the number 7 curry with soy (they also have it with mushroom stems instead of soy) and the number 4 chicken nuggets. i highly recommend eating here.

Pros: vegan, variety, friendly
Veganoid
Veganoid

Unimpressed At Best

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2009

I was very excited to try the food at Evergreen, after I'd heard great reviews from a friend. Needless to say, it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. Unfortunately this review is being written months after the experience, but I will give my thoughts on this regardless. My mother and I ordered two dishes, one seemingly different from the other, according to the descriptions on the menu. The dishes tasted bland and exactly the same, with the exception of one being a bit spicier than the other. I doubt I will go back to try the food again, but if I do, I hope to have a more impressive experience.

Pros: Good Location
Cons: Dark Lighting, Bland Food

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Evergreen Cafe: