A simple Rastafarian vegetarian restaurant. Price: Inexpensive more-less

sarahsloth
sarahsloth

great place!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

i was really happy to find this place in san pedro de atacama. during my stay (last couple of days) they didnt have most things on the regular menu but instead 2-3 daily menus (for about 3500 chilenean pesos, much cheaper than most places in town) each day of which 1 or 2 were always vegan (loved the soyburger!). the juices are also great and really fresh, havent tried the deserts yet but its on my list.
since ive gotten here the place was open every day, including saturdays, from lunchtime until about 7 or 8pm.

if youre in atacama and see people selling food in the street you should also ask if its vegan, chances seem to be quite good. met two guys who are walking around during lunchtime, one selling vegan burgers, the other one vegetarian/vegan empanadas.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 02, 2014

EzzieGriffin
EzzieGriffin

good stuff!

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2013

Just arrived after a long trip to San Pedro and was recommended this place by a friendly chap on the street. Small but adequate menu. I went for a salad and my friend the tacos but had we been more hungry we would have tucked into one of the many empanadas in offer, including quinoa! Maybe tomorrow ;) very decent portions, tasty, fresh and with a yummy mango juice on the side, a nice start! The deserts looked amazing but couldn't quite fit one in.
Worth a visit ;)

mikewinnemuller
mikewinnemuller

Excellent food but in a hidden location

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2012

After seeing this restaurant listed on this website, I decided to find it as it was within a couple of minutes from my hostel. I totally found it by fluke as I was distracted by a friend I bumped into. It was located behind another restaurant. I was only able to find it because of a little sign along the road. It was a small place and no one was there. The cook/server came out of the kitchen and since I speak no Spanish, all I did was point at myself and say "vegano'. She understood right away and showed me the small menu and pointed out about half of the dishes that I could eat since I'm vegan. I chose on a salad and a soy burger with a pineapple juice. She first brought out some toasted bread with what looked like mayonnaise and made me aware that it was a soy spread. Awesome. Then my juice. Very fresh and yummy. Then she brought out a huge salad with good presentation points. Awesome. Then came my soy burger. I find soy burgers in Chile are nothing like the ones you find in North America. It was a massive burger to start, the patty full of grains. The bun was very healthy, whole wheat. And the burger was topped with lettuce, tomato, and avocado. She even brought me more soy spread to add to it. Delicious! I was so full. And the price was quite reasonable since San Pedro de Atacama is very touristy. All for about $9 US/CDN. I'm going back there tomorrow. And the next day.

Pros: Large portions, Very healthy, Reasonable price
Cons: Not enough customers there

Dear Owner and Manager of Estrella Negra: