Estravagario

A small Bologna vegetarian restaurant. They have a warm and relaxed atmosphere for breakfast, lunch, dinner or afternoon break. With bar that offers coffee, teas, soft drinks, juices, blended fruit and fresh vegetables, milkshakes, yogurt or vegan options. Non smoking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Italian, Beer/Wine
Via Mascarella, 81/H
Bologna, Italy 40100
+39-051-4210582

Open Mon-Fri lunch, Fri-Sat dinner.

First Review by sgoodmanesq
Alessandro
Alessandro

Good place

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

Small organic vegetarian restaurant, warm and relaxed atmosphere, attentive and friendly staff (but a bit slow service), a good price/quality ratio. Estravagario is also a fair trade cafeteria where you can find herbal teas and infusions, fresh fruit and vegetables juices, homemade snacks and desserts, with some vegan options.
I went here for dinner and my overall experience was very satisfying: I ate chestnut gnocchi with mushrooms, excellent seitan cutlets in orange sauce with mixed salad and a vegan walnut strudel. The plates change every day. Unfortunately it's not open most evenings for dinner or Sundays.

Pros: excellent food quality
Cons: opening hours
Manuela
Manuela

Explosion of flavours

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

This is my all time favourite veg restaurant in Northern Italy. I live in Milan and often travel to Bologna only to taste the succulent dishes this cosy restaurant serves. Staff and atmosphere are informal and totally unintrusive. All dishes are well presented, with mouthwatering smells and packed with flavours. Estravagario means opening up to a tasty and exquisite meal, that turns out to be very light as well. Honestly, I could never get enough.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 10, 2014

Updated from previous review on Friday January 10, 2014

Pros: excellent fresh food, Staff is friendly and well informed, menu is seasonal
Cons: closed for August and festivities
Sarayna
Sarayna

Nice

3 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

Was a proper restaurant rather than a take away which we liked. Food was average and not that much choice. Waiter insisted on speaking to us in English no matter how much we replied in Italian desperate to practice! Waitress was very sweet though.

Pros: Proper restaurant (not take-away)
Nathan
Nathan

It looked good but....

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

From the outside, the place looked lovely and the menu sounded great. But when I arrived there (on August 1st 2011) I was totally bummed to learned that it closes for the entire month of August. It's probably safe to say that it's the same every year.

Pros: Looked great
Cons: Closed the ENTIRE month of August

AJensen
AJensen

Me likey

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2010

So, I live in the middle of nowhere Italy, and this is one of the few vegetarian restaurants I've come across that I really like. It's not completely vegan, but a vegan can easy navigate around the cheese and such. The food is flavorful and yet isn't dripping with oil and salt like most of the places around. It's not crazy expensive, but it's not cheap, pretty much the average for a vegetarian restaurant in these parts. I try to get my boyfriend to take me whenever we're in Bologna. They don't have a lot of options, usually two plates of the day plus extras. But the feel is that they really put their energy into making the plates of the day special. Enjoy!

Pros: Good food, Extremely friendly waitresses
Cons: Limited options, Not completely vegan
nancydong
nancydong

Nice food, warm atmosphere

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2010

Since bologna is the land of prosciutto/ham/cheese and egg pastas (be careful to ask about lard in foccacia & certain breads), it's a nice welcome to encounter a restaurant where meat or fish is off the menu.
Though it's not vegan (eggs/dairy are used), there are enough for a vegan to dig his/her chops in and walk away satisfied.
the premise of this restaurant is organic...and coffe is fairtrade.
dining room warm and friendly...i give it a thumbs up!

Pros: decent price, nice ambiance, decent food
Cons: a bit out of the way, not vegan
Guest
Guest

A very cozy place

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2009

A very cozy place. Dishes are very well cooked and presented and made with organic ingredients, some of which from fare trade too.
One of my favorite restaurant, :-)

Pros: excellent food, cozy place, fare trade ingredients
sgoodmanesq
sgoodmanesq

Healthy, good food

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2008

We stumbled upon this restaurant while trying to find our hotel, and it was a very pleasant surprise. They made a vegan plate for us consisting of beans, a hearty grain-like pasta with vegetables, potatoes with oregano, and salad. All the vegetables were organic and tasted very fresh, and the service was great. The staff speaks some English. It would be nice if they offered vegan desserts, though they did have some good dark chocolate.

Pros: Vegan-friendly, Healthy and organic, Helpful staff
Cons: No vegan desserts
  • HappyCarrot HappyCarrot

Vegan desserts are an issue in most italian restaurants.
    In the autumn 2011, Estravagario offered a pumpkin mousse with chocolate, which we enjoyed very much.

Dear Owner and Manager of Estravagario: