Essene Market and Cafe

A natural foods market that also offers a large, self-serve and pay by weight deli food bar. Food is vegetarian and macrobiotic. more-less

First Review by sifelaver
cellobiker
cellobiker

The best!

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2011

When I die and go to heaven, their buffet is going to be the meal plan. :)

Pros: All
lfusfeld
lfusfeld

Updated Review

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2010

I re-visited Essene again more recently and the buffet was much better than in my prior visits. Amazing vegan eggplant parm. I tend not to do a lot of shopping here, because the prices do tend to be higher. I noticed that they carry some things I can't find elsewhere, like bulk red quinoa, sweet & sara marshmallows and a couple other things. If they would make the store all vegan, I would definitely go to the extra expense and extra distance to do all my shopping here, but since they're still selling fish and animal products, I'll just stick with the buffet and a few goodies that I can't get elsewhere.

Pros: vegan buffet, sweet & sara!
Cons: a little pricey, produce could be fresher
Craig
Craig

Fantastic

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2009

I read some of the reviews and they weren't stellar. My experience was wonderful. The food was great (I didn't care for a couple of the items), the staff was wonderful and the market was great. One stop shopping. I plan to go there agian when I'm in Philly and Ihave recommended it to friends.

Pros: Nice selction, Good soup
Cons: Little pricy
kindlizard
kindlizard

dig it

4 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2008

I ate a ton of food from their deli case and was well impressed by their layout of the store in general. I felt great leaving, and would encourage anyone to check this place out.

Pros: good vegan deli items
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Ehhhh

3 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

I did *try* to go here twice when I was in Philly; however, I must stay the food was buffet and it didn't look too appealing at all. And I believe they had one Seitan dish each time. Needless to say, I stopped in twice and the food didn't look appealing at all, so I never tried it, I just wanted to share my opinion. However, I will say they had a very nice co-op connected to it with excellent choices!

sifelaver
sifelaver

Yum!

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2006

Larger selection of vegan hot foods than Whole Foods down the street, but priced similiarly. The menu changes frequently. As a lot of the food is heavy and dense, it is easy to spend more than $10 for a plate if you are not careful.

Pros: Good variety, Nice staff, Tasty
Cons: Expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Essene Market and Cafe: