Essence of Life - Kensington

Natural foods market stocking organic produce, bulk staples, vitamins and supplements, personal care products, and more. more-less
50 Kensington Ave
Toronto, Ontario M5T2J8
416-506-0345

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by TRaeCH
pyrelics
pyrelics

Everything you need and more!

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2014

This is my absolute favourite store for all my vegan treats and "meats" they have the best selection and always have something new when i come in. Things like unsweetened coconut ice 'cream' and other non-dairy treats, vegan packaged foods, and crazy varieties of Cliff Bars, Sol Burgers and Tofurkey products that you cant find at say a loblaws or sobeys and with the exception of maybe the Organic Produce they are very well priced, I've yet to find cheaper prices for some of the specialty vegan foods at any supermarket in the area.

Pros: Amazing Selection, Well Priced
Cons: Narrow Aisles
sglcklch
sglcklch

Not bad at all

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2013

This is a pretty nice store in the heart of the funky Kensington Market. I came here to stock up on travel food, so the lack of fresh groceries was a non-issue for me. Selection was quite good for its size and prices were acceptable. On the flip side, space was cramped and the aisles were too narrow, which spoiled the shopping experience a little bit. But still, it's well worth it to pop in and browse the shop while you're in the area.

Cons: cramped
Teknotribes
Teknotribes

Overcrowded and overrated

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

Don't expect to get any pre made food here. This is just a small health food store. The isles are impassable and the place is ridiculously overcrowded. Selection is limited and prices are average. Enjoy some outside time and shop the rest of Kensington market instead.

Pros: good products
Cons: over crowded, expensive, limited selection

IngridV
IngridV

great shop in a great neighborhood

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

Love this place
You can find everything there and it's not that expensive compare to some other vegan store.

Ken4057
Ken4057

Much larger than nearby Tutti Frutti

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2010

But not as cheap.

Perhaps the largest natural store in the city proper with the exception of the horrendously overpriced Big Carrot on the Danforth.

Massive freezer section, fresh produce, lots of beauty products in a separate section with a separate cash.

I like going here, but I go to Tutti Frutti a few doors down for essentials since they're definitely cheaper.

Pros: large selection, cheap
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

One of many gems in the Kensington Market

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2009

To begin, most Montrealers are hard pressed to sing the praises of Toronto. The reasoning behind it is fairly obvious given their proximity, partially overlapping identities, sports rivalries, civic pride and many other things. Rivalries aside, as a proud Montrealer, I absolutely adore Toronto's Kensington Market area!

Essence of Life is a a one-stop-shop for vegetarian and eco-friendly items and products located in the heart of Kensington Market. It is well stocked, offers good value specials and has a very friendly and helpful manager. I can say that in respect to variety, the selection one would find in Montreal pales in comparison to what they offer at Essence of Life - I'm 90% sure it is because they sell many vegetarian products that don't have french packaging and therefore are not available, at least, in the province of Quebec.

I have traveled fairly extensively throughout the United States and while Essence of Life doesn't quite measure up to many of the health food stores I've visited in the US, I have yet to see anything substantially better in eastern Canada.

Honestly, my rating is highly reflective of the area surrounding Essence of Life; Kensington Market is the closest thing I've seen to a vegetarian utopia in all of my travels. Kudos Toronto!

Pros: Located in Kensington Market, Specials/Sales, Variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Essence of Life - Kensington: