Food bar and shop. Provides all-vegan and daily changing lunch on the weekdays which are organic and prepared with Ayurvedic spices. Each day one main dish, one soup, and one dessert. Sells Ayurvedic spices, teas, and products. Previously located on Königstraße. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, German, International, Ayurvedic
Krahenstrasse 1-3
Luebeck, Germany 23552
+49-451-7075548

Mon-Wed 12:00pm-4:00pm, Thu-Fri 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 1:00pm-3:00pm

First Review by Milana
wildfang
wildfang

Tasty food, a little pricy, charge for water

3 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2013

I really enjoyed the atmosphere and friendlyness of the owners at this place during our stay in Lübeck. The food was very tasty, all vegan which is always good. I was really hungry so I got a small starter soup and the dish of the day along with a salad and a little dessert. We wanted some tap water and then were suggested revitalised water at 1€ per glass instead. We took two of those but it seems like we got charged five glasses instead as my parter kept filling up his glass not knowing the revitalised tap water cost extra - in this case essBAR shouldn't have the filled jars standing around reachable for everyone to get a refill.
We ended up paying 24,60euro for two people which I consider a little high priced for a place with a canteen-like feel. Still, apart from the water charge issue, I recommend this place as it is the only vegan place in Lübeck and since it offers healthy and tasty food.
It doesn't provide much space, though, and has lots of poducts for sale standing around (it's also a shop) so if you're coming with a child consider yourself being constantly running after her making sure nothing breaks.

Pros: tasty food, nice atmosphere
Cons: no toilet, charge for water
Milana
Milana

Best restaurant in town!

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2013

The essBar is located in the city center and easy to reach. When you come in, you might first be disappointed not to find a free table (there is one large table and two smaller ones), but when you join the other customers at the large table, you will find that most of them came by themselves, but readily include newcomers into their conversation. So your diappointment about the scarce of tables may well turn into happyness. I like the concept to bring people together for eating.
I am very happy that there is not more than one main dish every day - because there was not one meal yet that did not taste marvellous. In case you also want to try the soup or a salad, or just are not very hungry, you can ask for a small serving. The shop owner and her assistants are very helpful and generally try to make everyone feel comfortable.
I found the Ayurvedic way of cooking here very pleasing. You can really taste every ingredient, which makes the taste very rich. I think it is also better to digest than other food. The combination of food and atmosphere is so nict thet after the meal, I usually feel warm, a bit tired, and very peaceful. :-)

Pros: delicious, cosy, friendly and individual
Cons: sometimes the main dish is out early

Dear Owner and Manager of essBAR: