Serves meat, veg options available. Upscale dining by Todd Gray of Muse fame. Vegan food is given a fair consideration and even offers vegan desserts. Offers vegan brunch on Sunday til 2pm. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
818 Connecticut Ave NW (Washington DC)
Washington, District Of Columbia 20006
202-331-8118
Closed now

Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:00pm, 5:30pm-10:00pm, Sat 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sun 11:00am-2:00pm, 5:30pm-9:00pm

First Review by cookiem
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Missed the Mark

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2014

I wanted to love this restaurant. In short, it's a 3-star meal in a 5-star setting.

It started with the coffee. At $30 per person for brunch, I expected a quality cup of coffee. This tasted like the watered down version you get at Denny's. I noticed they had iced coffee on the menu for $5 more. I thought you must have to pay for the good stuff so I ordered that. Nope, same Denny's coffee, just on ice. That's $5 I'd never see again.

The stuffed french toast was palatable but nothing to write home about. The bread used was too thick and dense - it was a multigrain with sunflower seeds. The chef could have pulled this off if he would have included a light, airy vegan whipped cream inside with the fruit or had the whipped cream as an optional side but none was to be found.

The tofu scramble station is a brilliant idea and one I hope to see replicated and used more often. I was told the chef would be manning the station and make scrambles to order. Unfortunately, the entire time we were at brunch there was no one at the station.

The saving grace was the cous cous salad which was amazing. Also, the bread that they brought to the table was phenomenal. Those are the only positive things I can say.

The dessert consisted of a selection of mini-muffins. Perhaps they tasted wonderful, I don't know. They didn't look that appetizing and by this point in the meal I'd been let down enough times that I didn't bother to give them a try.

All of this said, the staff was outstanding and that's what saved the day. Everyone was very friendly, welcoming and attentive. The service was top notch and the environment is first class. I wish the food was too.

Saramste
Saramste

Vegan Brunch!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

Chef Todd and Ellen Gray have moved the Vegan Sunday brunch from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, to Equinox! Now, not only do they offer a vegan tasting throughout the week, they offer a 100% vegan brunch on Sundays! Delightful to say the least! They have also set up a Tofu Scramble station in a similar fashion to an omelette station, in which Chef Todd Gray prepares tofu scrambles on demand! Delicious, and much more variety on the buffet than at the museum. Highly recommended!

Although the hours in the happy cow description don't reflect Sunday hours, they serve brunch from 11:00-2:00 every Sunday.

Pros: Delicious, 100% Vegan Sunday Brunch, Tofu Scramble Station (Sunday Brunch)
cookiem
cookiem

Upscale dining with fair selection of vegan dishes

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2014

This place is by no means vegan, but Chef Toddy Gray certainly had his kitchen make vegan dishes a mainstay. With no other vegan upscale restaurants with cooked food at this caliber, Equinox is a great place for a special occasion if you have budgetary constraints.

The entrees and first courses are fresh and reflect the season's selections. However, I wish there were even more focus on the vegetables over the grains. Still, it's a great touch to a meal to be in an establishment with such high standard for service and quality.

What I like best is real vegan dessert offerings beyond the staple ice cream or fresh fruit! We shared and had both of the desserts offered that night as vegan dishes I love rhubarb!!

Pros: Vegan desserts, Excellent service, High quality everything
Cons: Price, Meat on menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Equinox Restaurant: