Began as a vegan meals delivery service and opened this fully licensed restaurant in Aug 2013. Menu focuses on organic and locally sourced produce with raw options, daily desserts, weekly specials. Menu is 95% gluten free. Its to-go fridge offers house-made vegan cheese and seitan, packaged meals for take home. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Canadian, Western, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by Ali Lynn
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Halifax Is Fortunate To Have This Restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our meal at enVie. Yes, the restaurant is very clean with a friendly staff and relaxed bright atmosphere. However, the big reason we enjoyed our meal so much was that the food is GREAT. After having soup of the day, I had the Seitan Reuben and my wife had the Grilled Cheese and we both finished with Blueberry Cheesecake. We left well satisfied and will certainly return the next time we are in Halifax.

Pros: Fine Food, All the qualities you might expect
QuothTheRaven
QuothTheRaven

Third times the charm

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

Another Edit: Third times the charm, they've officially captured my admiration and love. My stomach loves the country breakfast. The staff are wonderful, so friendly and kind. The restaurant has such a wonderful atmosphere, lovely decor. It's just perfect.

Edit: Second time around, enVie has really surprised me. The tofu burger was delectable and so was the cranberry cheesecake. I had a lovely time at the veggie meetup and enVie contributed greatly to that. Thank you!

Let me start off by saying, I need to be honest, that's just who I am. I wanted to like enVie very much. When I heard the announcement of a new vegan restaurant opening in Halifax, I was, of course, thrilled. I want all vegan businesses to succeed (unless they are dishonest and not really vegan ;) yes I have been there). Promoting a cruelty-free lifestyle is the most important thing to me. So I still wish all the best to the sweet couple that owns and runs this beautiful restaurant.

Now onto the dirty stuff. Walking into enVie, I was enveloped by the beautiful decor, the warm atmosphere and friendly staff. I spent much time oogling over the adorable animal photos lining the walls and the fresh flowers on each table. The small touches are what mean the most. The menu is small, I notice this with many vegan restaurants. I am assuming it's a time thing and since they are a small business just starting out, it makes sense. I wasn't overjoyed by the choices by have been very intrigued by the many pictures I had seen of the mushroom scallops, so I went for that. My husband went for the daily special of the vegan cheeseboard.

The service was prompt. Our food arrived quickly and was presented very nicely. I was extremely excited to try my food but was disappointed that it was a mostly raw dish. Cold kelp "noodles" and veggies. The only warm part were the scallops, which I really loved. I did not, however, enjoy my kelp "noodles" which were a large portion of the dish. I wish I did, I really do but they just were not my taste. The texture was extremely unsettling and they also were not very flavorful. I was truly hoping for a hot meal on this cold rainy day. My husband did not mind the cheeseboard but found the portion size lacking for the price. Unfortunately, the cost is the kicker for both of us.

It's with a sad heart I have to say, I was not highly fond of the food at enVie. I still hope for the best for them and maybe I will be back to try some of the strawberry shortcake someday. :-)

Pros: All vegan, Great atmosphere, Friendly
Guest
Guest

Delicious & Cozy

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

I really enjoyed trying out enVie. Not only are the staff very friendly, but the atmosphere inside the restaurant is cozy and inviting. Their fresh juice is amazing as well as their house bread. Their options on the menu all look delicious. I tried the Kale Caesar and loved it. Everything is freshly made and homemade in their restaurant or nearby local establishments. The Thai Dragon Bowl is also a must try.

Pros: Options, Local and freshly made, Portions

trematode
trematode

One of my favorite places for dinner

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2014

I was first exposed to EnVie back when they were at the Alderney Landing market. They were doing a delivery service and I decided I had wanted in. The food was great so I couldn't wait for their restaurant to open.

When I first visited, I needed to give EnVie a second chance. The quinoa mushroom burger was unique and good, but it didn't sell me. Now the boyfriend and I can't get enough of this place.

The last few times I have visited, I was impressed with the food and the service was incredibly fast.

I tend to gravitate towards the kale caesar salad with coconut bacon and I always have to have dessert. They even have a vegan poutine complete with homemade "curds" that puts real poutine to shame.

The food is very high quality, but you don't get as much for the price. In order to leave full, I have to share an appetizer and order a dessert.

Edit: I attended one of their cooking classes (Vegetables of the Land and Sea!) They made several recipes, showed us some kitchen techniques and gave us a little lesson in nutrition. I have also attended their New Year's Eve dinner and Valentine's Day dinner and was not disappointed. Deidre always says hello when we come in. I love that :)
Updated from previous review on Monday November 25, 2013

Pros: great atmosphere, fast service, delicious desserts
Cons: a little expensive
mjs64
mjs64

Excellent!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2013

Visiting Halifax, two of us dropped in for lunch on Monday, October 21, 2103. Sitting at the large windows allowed us to enjoy the sun as we ate. But we also liked the decor and ambience of the restaurant and particularly enjoyed the three identical photos on one wall - identical except for the addition of the interesting dog in the middle picture! The fresh flowers and water served in a stoppered bottle were additional nice touches.

Service was prompt, efficient and friendly. We had some questions, all of which were answered well. We both had the butternut squash soup, which was smooth and tasty. We then had the house salad and the tacos. Again - first class. Desert of chocolate tort and macaroon rounded things out perfectly. We left satisfied but without that nasty over-full feeling!

We wish this new enterprise all the very best. The dynamic duo who have had the foresight to get it going are already well on their way and deserve every success. We will go back!

Pros: Well prepared food, Great service, Interesting menu options
SeattleV
SeattleV

Grateful visitor

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

Not sure why the last reviewer was so displeased but I had the opportunity to eat at enVie with my mom, who eats meat, and we both loved it. The spanokopita and Scallopini were out of this world! I should also mention that I'm vacationing from Seattle and travel quite often to NYC - I'm no stranger to great veg food. EnVie was a wonderful surprise.

cityscape
cityscape

Not impressed

2 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

I was very excited for a new vegan restaurant to open up. The place was cute, but very white and sterile looking. Staff were friendly but not overly so. The menu was small and nothing stood out. Uncomfortable atmosphere - this isn't a place to hangout and have good food, but rather a place to be seen.

The food looked great, but there wasn't much food and it was expensive. We had dessert as well and it was gross. I was pretty disappointed and would not go back. I love vegan food but this place is so overly fancy and the food and service wasn't that amazing.

Pros: All vegan, Nice staff
Cons: Expensive, Stuck up atmosphere, Mediocre food
  • QuothTheRaven QuothTheRaven

I am glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I left really disappointed. Everyone else seems to love it though.

Red
Red

Amazing...went back the next day!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

On vacation in Halifax - we were trying out all restaurants with vegan offerings. We stumbled on envie near the end of our trip for dinner, and it was so good we returned for lunch the next day! The service was friendly and prompt, the place was beautiful and modern, and most importantly, the food was delicious! We have traveled to NYC numerous times and have eaten at some of the best vegan restaurants in North America - and envie was definitely up there with some of the best. The dessert that was a tart with caramel "ice cream" was amazing, the spanakopita was very tasty with an interesting twist, and the piccata was delicious. We found that overall - meals out in Halifax were generally more expensive than back home, so the prices at envie seemed to be in line with eating out - but far, far superior. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an amazing vegan dinner in Halifax.

Ali Lynn
Ali Lynn

Ethical Delight!

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

We stopped by at this cozy, friendly vegan restaurant today for lunch and were so pleased we just had to write a review!

The ambiance was a nice balance of fresh and airy with welcoming comfort. We tried the trio of dips, the seitan donair and several desserts;all were fantastic. The flavours were fresh and imaginative and the dishes were artfully presented. The wine list was also impressive with an excellent selection of local beverages. The service was prompt and friendly.

There was obvious attention to detail everywhere: from fresh flowers to the careful combination of textures and flavours. The donair, for example was a delightful mix of warm pita and seitan with fresh and crispy shredded greens and sweet cherry tomatoes. The trio of dips were all so different and unique but together were spectacular; a perfect synergy of flavours. MMmmmmmmmm until next time!

Dear Owner and Manager of enVie A Vegan Kitchen: