Enlightened Cuisine

Family-owned vegetarian restaurant with Asian style decor. No onions or garlic used. Parking on Kavanagh Street or Wilson Car Park. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Asian, Malaysian, Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out
113 Queensbridge St, Southbank
Melbourne, Victoria VIC 3006
03-96869188
OPEN NOW

Tue-Thu 11:00am-2:30am, 5:00pm-10:00am, Fri-Sat 11:00am-2:30pm, 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm

First Review by adam antichrist
bianchina
bianchina

Quality Asian and mock meat dishes

Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

There's an enormous variety so there's something for everyone. My bf loves their laksa, I like the curries and the duck best. Good place to take non-veg friends. A little more expensive than what I'd normally pay for this kind of thing. Lots of delicious starters and desserts too! The lunch menu seems to be a bit cheaper for a similar amount of food.

Pros: very yummy Asian food, prompt attentive service, pleasant atmosphere
Cons: prices are a little high
nhuphung
nhuphung

Excellent!

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

Enlightened Cuisine has excellent and friendly service. The waiters never avoid you if you want to order a dish or get another plate. They are always smiling and have first class service! I recommend the chicken dishes as they have excellent sauces that assist with it. And I love how you can bring as many family or friends and they'll still have enough tables and chairs for each person to sit comfortably. This restaurant is just excellent!

Pros: The interior is elegant, Excellent service
fletchiekins
fletchiekins

One of my all time favourites

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

This restaurant is one of my all time favourites. Due to location, my love of mock meat and the excellent Asian food served here. The staff are friendly and it is not expensive (for the portion received). This is probably not the healthiest vego food available but who cares when it tastes so good?

jacqui
jacqui

Huge menu, nice food

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

I was in Melbourne for business last month and this was the closest veggie place to the conference. The menu was huge (mostly mockmeats) and the place reasonably popular, but they found space for me. I asked what was recommended and ordered crispy 'duck'. I was a little disappointed with the starter (nothing special, just typical spring rolls) but the crispy duck was awesome. I have never tried mock meat like that before. It was very reasonably priced, and worth the walk from the centre.

Pros: great food, variety, value for money
Maddi
Maddi

Tasty and reasonably priced in classy surroundings

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

November last year I was in Melbourne with my vegan husband and omni mother looking for a place to eat - we were recommended "Enlightened Cuisine" and not disappointed!

The menu is quite heavy on the cheatmeats which isn't to everyone's taste but we all found something we could enjoy, the service was friendly and efficient and the restaurant had a comfortable classy feel to it.

We benefited from some kind of lunchtime offer (can't remember exactly the deal) so it worked out really reasonable for 3 substantial meals with alcoholic drinks.

Would definitely recommend this place, even tho it is a short (10 mins?) walk from the CBD it's well worth it.

Pros: Extensive menu, Smart environment, Good deals at lunchtime
Cons: Not entirely vegan, Lots of cheatmeats
margcook
margcook

Fabulous Place to Dine

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2012

My husband & I dined at this restaurant last week after reading the reviews on this website.
We chose one of the 'menus for two' & found it to be a great way to taste different foods.
We thoroughly enjoyed our meal & thought the price was quite acceptable.
The restaurant is clean & more upmarket than other asian restaurants we've been to.
I definitely recommend dining here & intend to go back again soon.

Pros: Good Food Choices, Friendly Staff, Good Portions in the menu we chose
aimmee
aimmee

Excellent Vegetarian Restaurant

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

My partner and I visited Melbourne recently and we were incredibly impressed with Enlightened Cuisine. We decided to have a banquet ($30 p/person - very reasonable price) so we could try many dishes.

There was a very spicy spicy soup. My partner loved it, although is was a little bit too spicy for me. We had prawn bread, peaking duck, pork and a veggie dish. All meals were wonderful, tasty and cooked perfectly!

I absolutely recommend Enlightend Cuisine, and will absolutley return next time I am in Melbourne.

Pros: Fantastic food, Friendly service
dumpling
dumpling

No Dumplings

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

Went there by myself, not the type of place to eat alone as the dishes were about $17.00 each so I stuck with the starters. 2 Vchicken Skews with Satay Sauce $5.50 yum, 5 crunchie fried wontons with sweet orange coloured sauce $5.50 yum and a very tiny serving of wonton (3)soup, hmmm not too sure of its freshness $6.50. A pot of jasmin tea $2.50 not really of good quality, didn't want to drink it, but they forgot to charge me, Total bill $17.50

Pros: it exists, no onion or garlic, all vegetarian
Cons: expensive for one person, must go with group, no dumpling soup
ulysses_studio
ulysses_studio

Fav Place in Melbourne

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2011

So we have been going here for years now. It's my all time fav place to go out for dinner :) I've even taken my family here and they all liked it too! it looks like any up market Vietnamese restaurant, even the menus are listed with the meat names. So it would be fun to see if your non vego mates can tell the difference!
It's true that the meals have very little vegies in them but that's the same for most Vietnamese/Chinese/Thai take away.
It's so close to the city and if your visiting and checking out the casino (or if not the casino the river or the fire polls along the river) then this is a MUST stop in for dinner.
I ALWAYS order the same thing....entree...Crispy duck Skin, Satay Skewers....Mains...Roasted Plum Duck, Honey Chicken, Pork ribs and a large Combination Fried Rice....! never enough room for deserts, but i'm not keen on the red bean pancakes anyway. You can take the rest of your meal home too!
PS it's good to know about the under car park cos it always takes me a few blockies to get a park, i usually end up on the road parallel behind the restaurant.
Highly recommended

Pros: YUMMMMM, Inner City, Mock Meat
Cons: not so great parking
Brenton
Brenton

Try it!

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

I'm vegan and I went here with two friends (one omni and one vegetarian). We all loved this place, they have a good menu with lots of options (if you've never been to this type of restaurant be aware that even though the menu says "beef", "chicken", "pork" etc. it's all mock meat). We ordered three mains with rice, I got the satay chicken which was excellent and filling and I tried some of my friend's black bean chicken and it was also very good. The staff were very friendly and the service was super fast (our meals came out within 10 mins of ordering). Prices were reasonable, all of us got rice, a main and a drink for about $24 each. Overall I enjoyed my evening there very much and will definitely be going back!

Pros: Excellent food, Fast service, Lots of options
Petesternz
Petesternz

Good but pricey

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2009

Liked this place quite a bit. The dishes were a little hit and miss, though. Loved the fake chicken dishes, which really hit the spot, and the hot and sour soup was tremendous. The fake duck with vegetables was super boring, however, and another mixed vegetable dish had no spice or vigour. Still, the dishes that were good were great. And we would go back - although we'd be a little selective in ordering. And is it pricey! Be prepared! About $16 a dish - including pure vegetable dishes...

Pros: good fake meat
Cons: pricey, hit and miss
KingKong
KingKong

Good food, nice atmosphere

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2009

OK, first of all, I have to say I have a vested interested in this place. I had my Wedding here.

That out of the way. Food and service is good. Nice ambience. Not a bad place for a formal date (quiet, classy and not to pricey).

Besides a good menu, they also do a good steam boat as well. During chinese New Year, they do a Prosperity salad that's one of the best around.

Good take out menu.

They now also sell Frozen vegetarian food as well.

The main downside is parking. You're option is either to park at Crown and walk across (Nearest exit is near Galactic circus towards Queens Bridge). There is parking at the restaurant but it's limited. Someone needs to hold out of the car and ask one of the staff to let them in.

Pros: Food, Price, Service
Cons: Parking, Parking, Finding it
Lea
Lea

Excellent and friendly

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2008

The barbeque not pork is even better here than the Green Gourmet in Sydney, and that's saying something! My only critique would be that, like many of the faux-meat Asian restaurants, it is hard to find a dish containing enough fresh vegies to satisfy me. But for a big dose of delicious protein food, it's hard to beat.

Pros: Great faux meat dishes, Nice decor, Friendly staff
Cons: Needs more vegetable dishes
juicyfruitz
juicyfruitz

market EC

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2008

I've eaten at EC market stalls not at their restaurant but I'm looking forward to going. Their lemon chicken is completely amazing and drool-worthy, from its fried 'skin' and tender 'meat' to its super-sweet sauce. The lamb and potoato curry is also amazing.

Sqrlgrl
Sqrlgrl

Delightful

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2007

As a visitor to Melbourne staying in the CBD, looking for somewhere close and vegetarian for an evening meal, this place was a real treat for one who is a fan of Asian mock-style vegetarian foods.

I placed myself in the hands of the staff, who recommended a fungus soup and the Kung Pow (mock) Chicken. Both were delicious - and I still rave about the Kung Pow.

Pros: presentation, selection, atmosphere
Michael Tait
Michael Tait

Top class vegie restaurant

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2007

Up-market decor sets Enlightened as one of Melbourne's best vegie restaurants. The food is excellent, service good, prices reasonable (especially their lunch menu which is quite a bit cheaper). Michael Tait

Pros: Great food, Very nice ambience, Casino precinct
Cons: parking problems
adam antichrist
adam antichrist

Always good

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2007

I have eaten here many times since January 2005 and this is my favourite city restaurant. Vegie Hut in Box Hill is slightly better overall, but loses due to the location. If you are visiting the CBD or central suburbs of Melbourne, this should not be missed!!!
The tamarind fish is exquisite. The only complaint I have had is that the banquets aren't that great. The huge buddha statue in the entrance is also a nice touch.

Pros: awesome food, great service, nice decor

Dear Owner and Manager of Enlightened Cuisine: