Enjoy Vegetarian Restaurant...

San Francisco vegetarian Chinese restaurant - this is their 1st of 3 locations. Small and casual. Offers a variety of rice, noodle, mock meats, and vegetable dishes. Brown rice available. Bargain weekday lunch specials. No garlic or onion used. Closed on Mon. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Buddhist, Take-out

First Review by Yell
Chia
Chia

Tasty vegan lunch

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and was pleased to find their food both at the San Francisco World Veg Fest, October 2012. Here's my Enjoy Vegetarian Restaurant review.

The owner and her family managed the booth and served meals at $10 for a combo platter: rice + choice of 3 dishes. Plus you could pay extra for fried spring roll, fried curry potato triangles, and fried sesame balls.

I got brown rice with steamed dumplings (yummy), a soft tofu squares with peas and corn dish (tasty), and sauteed long beans (good). Overall the food was tasty, and the service prompt.

After Veg Fest I walked over to their Sunset location on Kirkham and 13th. It's located in a residential area and seemed to be the only business right there. This particular location is smaller than their Financial District/Chinatown location. Inside were just a handful of tables. Simple decor.

SunnyOutdoors
SunnyOutdoors

I ENJOY! Enjoy

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

TOfu Skin rolls are good. So far that's my fav.

Have you tried the $3 tamales made with sweet rice and mushrooms? It's wrapped in bamboo leaves.
good clean place to go!

Pros: tasty, friendly, veg
rebeccaj
rebeccaj

love the fried rice

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2010

Their fried rice (I think it was the "house special" fried rice) is the best I've ever had. Super delicious--really love the stuff.

Haven't had much luck with the few other things I've tried there, though. They were fine, but not exciting. There must be some other gems hiding in their menu that I haven't yet found...

They seem to be doing good business--it always seems to be packed with Chinese folks, so maybe they've got the authentic stuff. They're a couple of blocks off the beaten path, so they must have a loyal customer base that see them as a destination restaurant.

Pros: great fried rice
Cons: many

Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Another Great Vegan Restaurant in the Sunset

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2010

This place is great! I was bummed when Hulu house went out of business, but when it was replaced by Enjoy I was relieved- it is much better! The service is good, the atmosphere relaxed... The food is great! I have had a few things that I wouldn't order again: the sweet corn tofu soup is bland. The taro with gluten puff is not very good.
I like their mock chicken. I like the Kung Pao and I love the wonton soup. Their soups are a great deal- HUGE portions and CHEAP

Oh, and weekdays 11-2pm except on Mondays, (they are closed Mondays!) they have a cheap lunch special that includes spring roll, soup, rice and a full sized entree!

Pros: GOOD, CHEAP, VEGAN CHINESE
Cons: A few menu misses, avoid the curries
VeganTex
VeganTex

Enjoy Vegetarian

3 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2009

This place abounds with mocks meats. Not my favorite place in the city, but if you like your mock meat...

VegansSaveLives
VegansSaveLives

My Favorite SF Chinese Food!

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2009

I actually didn't discover Enjoy until I'd lived in the city for about 8 months, but when my boyfriend and I finally ate there it quickly jumped to our #1 favorite vegan chinese food in San Francisco.

This place is by far the cleanest, friendliest, most high quality vegan/veggie asian cuisine in the city! The staff are always extremely friendly and very genuinely sweet people. The food is delicious and very affordable. Some of my faves are the lemon chicken and the sweet and sour chicken, and the fried rices!

If I want chinese or asian food in the city I go to Enjoy every single time, without fail. Once you eat here, Shangri-La just seems like a nasty greasy spoon.

I love Enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, great value , friendly staff
Cons: NO CONS!
Tatiana
Tatiana
  • herbivore

Vendor at Veg Festival

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

This review is strictly about food quality, not about the establishment. Enjoy had a booth at the Veg Festival in San Francisco October 2008. They offered specials of any 3 items for $9. I had the sweet 'n sour "chicken", steamed veggies, and chow mein. It had lots of flavor without being overly heavy, salty, or too greasy (don't get me wrong, it still had that Chinese take out feel, just without too much to give you that yucky heavy feeling afterward). The veggies were very fresh and crisp. The noodles were probably my least favorite, a little on the bland side, but the veggies and sweet 'n sour dish were very good. It was definitely a splurge for more junk food style meal, but if you're looking for that Chinese take out kind of meal, this will hit the spot. They also provided menus for their regular restaurant - hours are Tues-Sun 11am-230 pm, 5pm-9pm, closed on Monday. Also noted they do not use garlic, onion, or MSG.

Pros: sweet 'n sour yum!, crispy veggies
Cons: bland noodles, not the healthiest option
Yell
Yell

Decent

3 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2007

I live just a short 5-to-10 minute walk from this little joint, and I've been meaning to check it out for months. Today was the day.

Let me just start out by saying that I was really rooting for this place. I love nothing more than a great little gem in a neighborhood (versus an advertised rip-off in the business sector of town). Regardless, they let me down.

Monday through Friday from noon to 2:30, you can get the lunch special. For only $5.50, I was able to dine on soup, springroll, entree, and the always-included tea and orange-slice dessert. I opted for the tofu and vegetable curry, which must have been my mistake. (Maybe I should have gone for the sweet & sour meat option...but I wanted vegetables, and the curry was the only one with them.) The tofu was bland, the curry didn't really even taste like curry, and the vegetables consisted of a ridiculous amount of onion and about two slices of carrot. The soup was sub-par, a broth with 3 peas and one carrot slice. HOWEVER, the spring-roll BLEW MY MIND! It was a little roll of heaven all tucked away in goodness. (If I am ever to return, I might just fill up on those bad boys!)

The service was lacking, and really shouldn't have been an issue.....as I was the only diner there. I was almost done with my water when my food was brought to me, but it never (NEVER) got re-filled. She actually forgot the water in the first place until I got up and requested it. Also, she slung the soup down and it spilled all over the mat in front of me. (And she wasn't angry. She was very friendly and all-smiles.)

All-in-all, it was fair enough for the price. I think I might return to try a "meat" dish....because I WAS the dork who ordered tofu.

Pros: Price, Good Portions
Cons: Taste, Service
  • Tatiana Tatiana

It is interesting about the onion in your curry....their takeout menu states they don't use any garlic or onion. hmm...

Dear Owner and Manager of Enjoy Vegetarian Restaurant - Sunset District: