Small and simple place. Food is mostly ovo-lacto vegetarian not vegan). Reservation is advised. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Take-out
Wielakkerstraat 4
Arnhem, Netherlands 6811 DB

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by Marco

big portions!

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2015

Tiny and cute place. There are only a few tables inside, so making a reservation is recommended. The menu changes daily but there's no choice; they only have one dish :)

The food is great, maybe not that experimental because most of the dishes seem quite standard in the veg kitchen, but it's tasty. Getting a vegan option was no problem when calling ahead of time. Mostly their dishes are not vegan, but occasionally they do have a completely vegan menu the waitress told me. We had couscous with sundried tomatoes, a salad with white cabbage, smoked tofu, apple and lettuce and a beetroot cake (not vegan).

I'm used to eat a lot, but was barely able to finish my portion. They serve a lot, maybe even too much. I'd normally eat the portions of the people I'm with to avoid food getting wasted, but I couldn't this time... ;) So for a price of 11,50 euro you get a lot of food.

The interior is nice and cozy, gives it a bit of a living room atmosphere. Some might not like it but I did!

Pros: tasty food, big portions, friendly staff and good atmosphere
Cons: dishes heavy on cheese sometimes

honest and simple

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2009

I often go here. It is not expensive, and I never have to think what the other dish would have been like ... because there is always 1 daily changing dish - and it is always good. But If I forget to make a reservation ... I often get disappointed because food and space are limited. Lunch is a good option too, soup or sandwitch and no reservation required then.

Pros: price, quality, don't have to choose
Cons: limited space

simple, but very decent

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2009

The woman who runs "Enig Alternatief" ha been doing it for over 15 years now, quite impressive.
It's very small with only a day-menu. Make sure you make a reservation before hand, also when you're vegan. I liked it very much, but nothing I couldn't make myself. It's simple, yet very decent.

Pros: cosy atmosphere, a pioneer in vegetarian restaurants! , decent food
Cons: you have to make a reservation, dishes are not really special

• non-vegetarian

Lives up to its name

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2007

A very small and simple restaurant. You have to go with the menu of the day (yet another way to translate the name of the restaurant ;-) but the times we have been there, the dishes were fine: simple, healthy, tasty. The menu usually is not vegan. The interior is basic to, but with a cultural touch. The name means both 'the only option' and 'alternative in a lovely way'.

Pros: nice food

Dear Owner and Manager of Enig Alternatief: