Serves meat, veg options available. Turkish food in bohemian style cafe. Some vegetarian and vegan suitable dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Turkish, Middle Eastern, BYOB, Non-veg

Stevie
Stevie

Empires Cafe, Edinburgh

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2013

I've just eaten here. I asked the waitress what was vegan friendly and the waitress talked me through the menu. There was nothing she said non vegan that wouldn't have appeared so at 1st glance at the menu. Thus I had quite a bit to choose from.

The menu and pricing goes based on the client chooses a platter based on the number of mezze dishes in the platter, It was £12.95 for the 3 mezze platter and 15.95 for the 5 mezze platter. I had the 5 mezze platter. I have to say it was delicious. each of the mezzes though wasn't overly so I am glad I went for the 5 as the 3 I don't think would have been enough. There bread and a little salad included.

There's also a special all you can eat party platter at I think was £21.95.

Delicious as the food was, it felt a little on the pricey side. 10% was added to the tab for the mezze (not for the drinks that while extra, didn't seem to incur the service charge). Thus if you are watching a tight budget, there's defo more economical alternatives elsewhere foodwise. If you are looking to put some booze away though, you could maybe save some cash utilsing that this place is BYOB.

Decor and atmo were utterly fine as was the demeanour of the waitress.

If I was eating with someone who refused to go to an all vego restaurant, I'd be happy to eat here again no problem at all. Otherwise it would be one of the nearby all vego restaurants in Edinburgh for me.

If this place was all vego I'd defo rate it higher.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Tasty, Nice staff
Cons: Not 100% vego, A little pricey for the food
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Great vegan meze

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2013

I came here with some friends and had some amazing vegan meze - around 1/3 of the options on the menu were vegan and all the ones which I tried were amazing, especially the acili! The decor and atmosphere is wonderful, cosy and beautifully decorated, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. They are happy for people to bring their own alcohol, and I highly recommend trying their lovely teas too.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 22, 2013

Pros: Great vegan selection of delicious food, Friendly staff, Lovely atmosphere
Cons: Not 100% veg

Dear Owner and Manager of Empires Cafe: