Serves meat, veg options available. Originally veg except for fish but has added more meat to its menu in 2014. Has vegetarian hand rolled wood-fired Montreal style bagels, Middle Eastern spreads and dishes, soups, and salads. Price: Inexpensive more-less
American, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by heathashli
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Eltana

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2011

They have a few vegan spreads such as the mint fava bean and caramelized hummus that you can buy separately. They only have one bagel that's vegan and their pretty small. This is a good place to go with a non-vegan person, otherwise I personally wouldn't go here on my own.

kindlizard
kindlizard

vegan bagels are whole wheat

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2011

the "vegan" bagels (though I think some honey is used in cooking) are the whole wheat bagels; the rest of the bagels have eggs. They ww was a bit grainy but I enjoyed it. The hummus is caramelized onion, they have a red pepper hummus, a fig compote, a fava - mint spread all which were vegan as well as some obvious dairy based schmears. The coffee was really nice. They have their own crosswords they make in-house as well. Cool spot, sweet people, great interior. I know they are going to do their thing which is cool but maybe making all their bread vegan would be a nice shift. I liked it and will go when I jones a nosh.

Pros: good people, vegan spreads are great, coffee
Cons: not truly vegan bagels
  • kindlizard kindlizard

re-reading this, we haven't been back and likely won't. didn't love the bagels

heathashli
heathashli

Mmm, hand-rolled wood-fired bagels

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

Glad to see bagels are making a comeback. They were tasty & the place was hopping! Several spreads to choose from, the usual cream cheese spreads plus some vegan ones. Some of the bagels were on the small side, but the price was reasonable. I definitely plan on going back, & next time trying the soups & salads. BTW, don't use the restroom .. the new carpet glue in the hallway was so strong/toxic, it burned our eyes!

Pros: rewards card

Dear Owner and Manager of Eltana: