CLOSED: Elliots For Natural...

A wholly vegetarian shop and restaurant with many dishes suitable for vegans and people on gluten free and diabetic diets. Everything is prepared and cooked on the premises. Daily changing menu features soups, quiche, pasties, salads, and specials such as curry, casserole, roasts with unusual combinations of herbs and vegetables. Store is well-stocked. Located in small cobbled market lane in town center. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, Western, Take-out

First Review by plrees
Guest
Guest

Love thyme to eat

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

I am shocked to see such bad reviews on here, every time i've been in the place has been great. Food excellent and menu not at all confusing to me. Menu divided into breakfasts, lunch, snacks, drink like other resturaunts are. can get a bit crowded at times but I love the place

Pros: Excellent food
Cons: Can get a bit crowded
  • katherine newman katherine newman

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, its great to get such encouraging comments and know that for some we are getting it right. Totally accept your comments about being crowded and are in the process of trying to free up some more space. Thank you again

Kathherine Newman

itsmeagain
itsmeagain

dreadful service, rude and aggressive.

2 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

wENT TO THIS PLACE JUNE 2012, MID PM. Very confusing setup, menu written on a board around 30 yards from where you queue to order. Sorry but they need to sort this out and promptly. Vegan pizza i thought, yeah why not?
Paid 6 pounds plus, got a large plate of lettuce with a tiny triangle of vegan pizza which was not very good. Our food was slammed down on the table by a rotund, ignorant lady. Sadly, the other reviews below are correct..AVOID....

Cons: PRICY, RUDE STAFF, poor vegan selection
  • katherine newman katherine newman

I am saddened and slightly confused to read your review as to my knowledge we have never had a vegan pizza on our menu. Any of our meals served with a salad are seved with a generous helping of a variety of salad ingredients including; peppers, courgettes, cucumber, carrot, lettuce, grapes, tomato, red onion and orange. I am also struggling to think which member of my team could be described as rotund? I am sorry that on this occasion you were unhappy with your experience and portion size and its a shame you didn't raise them with me at the time of your visit so we could have rectified it for you. We have recently been finalists in the Derbyshire Food and Drink awards 2012 and were commended on the excellent quality of both our food and service so apologise again that on this occasion you were left unsatisfied.

Katherine Newman
    Owner of Thyme To Eat

• itsmeagain itsmeagain

Thanks, Katherine, for your timely response. It definitely was a slice of vegan pizza, very small. Ask your staff, someone made it I presume.
    I had no place, really, saying rotund staff member, it is too personal. For that I apologise, but I do feel the service and the food were well below par on our visit. Thanks for your concern.

apriltui
apriltui

Simple vegetarian food

3 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

Renamed ' Thyme to eat', decent vegetarian food and well priced. It's not somewhere I would rave about though, the salads were average and lacked thought. The service wasn't fantastic. They need to try that little bit harder with their menu and train all of their staff to give excellent service.

Pros: Price, Location, Lots of options
Cons: Service, Menu was boring
  • katherine newman katherine newman

I am sorry that you felt the service you received wasn't as you would have hoped. Customer service is an area I have been keen to improve since taking the cafe over last year and would be grateful, if you visit us again, for a chance to chat this through with you so I can identify where exactly improvements still need to be made. Similarly with the salads, I have kept the main menu mainly the same but have been striving to introduce more exciting food to the cafe via the specials board, having said that we do receive lots of compliments on our menu salads (white stilton & Apple, Brie & Grape etc) and I am sorry that on this occasion you were left disappointed. Kind regards, Katherine

Jesstar
Jesstar

Bad management - such a shame!

2 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

This used to be a wonderful little cafe unfortunate the new owner is rude as the other review states. You normally have to wait for a table and when I was heavily pregnant I waited for twenty mins only for two ladies to walk in the other entrance and pinch my table!! I light heatedly mentioned this to the owner who very abruptly told me I should hover over a table to encourage them to leave!!!! I told her this wasn't very nice for the people eating and she shouted at me saying this is how we do it here if you don't like it don't come back. I honestly couldn't get my breath it.! Never been back what a shame as i had been going there for over 20 years. I've been told the food has gone down hill though.

Pros: Town centre location
Cons: Rude owner, Very busy, In need of a refurb
  • katherine newman katherine newman

I became the new owner of Elliott's in October last year (2011) and would be very interested to know if your experience was prior to this? As the new owner I pride myself on excellent customer relations and would like to state that I have never, and would never, shout at a customer. If your visit was prior to October then please give us anohther try.

Kaz-angelcake
Kaz-angelcake

Disappointing and dirty.

2 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2011

Elliotts used to be a lovely retreat in this busy market town. I recently visited to find it quite changed. A gluten free scone I bought was inedible (compacted dust, which disintegrated on touch) and when I approached the manager to exchange it, her response was astonishing. She was aggressive and rude, and actually raised her voice and demanded to know why I had bought a gluten free scone if I was not coeliac. She created quite a scene. I have got to say, I have never experienced anything like it in my life. The decor was generally run down and toilets were dirty. Not surprising, I will not be going back. There is a new health food shop cafe in town, go there instead, I will. I would have given this a zero rating, but the system only allows a minimum if 2!!

Updated from previous review on Friday August 26, 2011
Updated from previous review on Friday August 26, 2011

Pros: town centre
Cons: Poor quality food, Rude staff, Pricey
  • katherine newman katherine newman

Hi, I became the new owner of Elliott's in October last year (2011). Quite a few customers have commented on the positive changes we have made in the few months we have been there, with a particular emphasis on customer servive being the priority and it would be lovely if you gave us another try. We have recently re-decorated and are in the process of a general refurbishment scheme so hopefully you will see an improvement.

plrees
plrees

Elliots

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2010

A very welcoming and frendly restaurant, with delicious home-made and nourishing food - every time. Updated from previous review on Friday November 26, 2010

Pros: healthy food, tasty food, friendly
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Elliots For Natural Choice: