Serves meat, veg options available. On Friday nights only, its venue is transformed into a fine dining establishment offering a six course raw vegan foods tasting menu. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Raw, Gourmet, Beer/Wine, Cateing, Non-veg

First Review by mvanorman
aner1kind17
aner1kind17

Wow! What a dining experience!

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

I was treated to Elizabeth's Gone Raw for my birthday dinner. It's definitely an occasion restaurant - very expensive, but you are made to feel as if it is.

First, we had a drink while we waited. I had an Apple beer and I think it was the best beer I have ever had. We were also given complementary kale chips, which in hindsight I shouldn't have eaten so many considering we were about to have a 6-course meal. The heavy nut cheese on the chips made them filling, but they were delicious!

The aperitif was by far the best - the first bite was an explosion in the mouth. Great way to start the meal!

The soup that came next was ok - it was a bit heavy on cucumber and I'm one of the few people in the world that doesn't care for cucumber.

The nut cheese plate was incredibly filling - they give you a pretty big sampling of the different "cheeses" and the homemade crackers were delicious. By this stage I was already full!

Next came a savory sorbet - apple celery which was unique, but tasty.

Then the entree - a raw papaya with paper and other fancy ingredients. This was probably the most underwhelming of the dishes. That was ok though, since I was already full.

The last was a coconut desert with buttercream. It was amazing.

The decor was beautiful (a la French Napoleon style) and the perfect date spot. I really enjoyed this experience and it will be a meal I will never forget. But probably will not repeat it twice.

Pros: Elegant and fancy vegan dining, Great presentation
Cons: Some hits, some misses
cookiem
cookiem

Good and raw

3 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

Elizabeth's Gone Raw has excellent potential, but I have to wonder if the fact that they are not a vegan institution for more than one night a week affects their ability to be better?

Having been to many raw vegan eateries, I have to disagree with this place being the best raw vegan eatery or the best in DC. It is the best in DC for elegant upscale vegan raw dining, but, then again, there is zero competition for elegant upscale vegan raw dining in the DC metro area. It is good, though.

The ambiance is nice and cozy- great for a romantic dinner or to just get away from the insanity of many eateries in the DC area on a Friday evening.

The reviews are clearly in favor of the staff, as am I. Very informed, helpful and cheerful. Very polite, professional and polished.

The food, however, was not as good as I had hoped it to be after having read reviews. Considering the price point, I expected more. It was incredible to have 6 courses and kale, though, I must say. The volume and quantity were impressively filling for all in this 6-course prix fix.

Allow me to be frank though.

The kale chips were good in texture and flavor, except, they were very salty and smothered any kale flavor with a vegan cheesiness that I would have preferred to dilute.

The consommé was delicious - a tomato and red pepper base served in an elegant small aperitif glass. Simple but great for the amuse.

The salmon mousse was also quite good -a cashew base with some soy and many other elements to bring a smokiness to raw food. The crackers were quite nice - not too seedy or crunchy.

The sticky ribs had a good bbq flavoring to the nut assortment blended and attached to the lemongrass bone sitting atop a celeriac slaw. However, it was mostly nuts - so, I am not sure, at this point, how one could say the food was not heavy. 2 of the 3 were already nut based.

Next was a nice sorbet to cleanse the palate. Very fresh with the celery and apple in a green tint.

The entree, however, I have to say was not up to expectations. The trumpet mushroom scallops were too tough and the flavor just not quite right. The yuzu and grapefruit were interesting choices with sprouted quinoa, but there just wasn't enough continuity in flavor or texture for me to find this course satisfying.

The parsnip chamomile flan (nut base!!) in champagne and elderberry was hit or miss. While I enjoyed it, it was a very particular flavor not appreciated by all.

Let's support veganism - EGR can be better!

Pros: 100% vegan, Raw, Creative
Cons: Only open Fridays, Only vegan on Fridays, Prix Fix shuts out some diners
NoCookingVegan
NoCookingVegan

Best Vegan Food in the DC area

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

Every vegan in the DC area knows this is the best vegan food you can get, raw or otherwise, but it is very expensive. They are usually only open on Friday nights, and the menu changes every week, including the drinks. Sometimes they are open on Thursday nights with a small-plates selection and happy-hour drinks.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Service
Cons: No non-raw options, Expensive, Prixe fixe dinner is too much food
  • beetsrock beetsrock

I tried the Thursday Happy Hour you mentioned and it was a good alternative to the Friday night fixed menu because I got to enjoy some delicious raw dishes for a lot less $$. Phil the mixologist is a gem. The only downside was that my favorite kale chips were being saved for Friday night.

beetsrock
beetsrock

Decadent Dining

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2012

I have dined at Elizabeth's Gone Raw three times and each occasion has been such a pleasure! It is the only fine dining vegan restaurant that I have found in DC. The menu is fresh and creative, the ambience is cozy and upscale, and the wait staff are knowledgeable about the food and professional (example: plates are left on the table until everyone is finished eating). It is also good for conversation because it is not too loud. The upscale price is the only thing keeping me from eating there every Friday -- it is a special occasion place for me.

JuiceNut
JuiceNut

Mmmm, a great raw splurge

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2011

Excellent and interesting food. The melon "ceviche" was outstanding, and I loved the date-laced dessert. Worth it for a special occassion - up there with service equal to the best restaurants in town.

Pros: Vegan & raw, Innovative
Cons: Expensive (very) but worth it
GenaHamshaw
GenaHamshaw

A Raw Dining Mecca in DC

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2011

In a city with very few raw dining options, Elizabeth's Gone Raw is a breath of fresh air. This elegant and ornate restaurant, nestled into a local townhouse, serves a pre-fix, five course menu each Friday night. Unlike many raw eateries, which offer foods that are laden in nuts and oil, the food at Elizabeth's is light, bright, and delicately flavored. Kale chips await diners (and they're some of the best kale chips I've ever had) by the bowl, and wine pairings are available.

Desserts at the restaurant will make any omnivore, vegan, or raw eater swoon.

In short, EGR is one of DC's most unique dining experiences. I can't recommend it more highly!

Pros: Excellent food, Health conscious, Ambiance
Cons: On the pricy side
mvanorman
mvanorman

Upscale, elegant, special treat

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

Elizabeth's Gone Raw is fabulous addition to the vegan dining scene in DC! Each menu is creative, delicious, and beautifully presented. The staff is clearly passionate about raw foods and prepare elegant creations on par with the upscale raw restaurants in New York and San Francisco. Every meal I've had there has been divine-- and the kale chips alone are worth the trip!! It's a splurge, but definitely worth it!

Pros: delicious, beautiful presentation, the only great raw option in DC
Cons: prefixe menu can be limiting, not open every weekend

Dear Owner and Manager of Elizabeth's Gone Raw: