Serves meat, veg options available. Food is mostly Indian-inspired with around 18 vegetable main dishes on the menu. Vegans to inquire about dairy use. Warm interior with natural wood colors. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Gudrun
Merryaurora
Merryaurora
  • herbivore

My favorite place in Tallinn!

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2013

To begin with, the Elevant restaurant is in a good location in Old Town. The dining rooms are wide and comfortable with arm-chairs and pillows. The style is warm and unique with pieces of art hanging on the ceilings. The big windows offer you an amazing view to the street from the 2nd floor while you're having your meal.

The service is quick and polite. Waiters speak English well and are happy to make recommendations.

Soups are super-tasty, include a basket of naan bread and are inexpensive (5€ for the whole goodness). The main dishes are big and served with rice and naan bread. I was a bit disappointed that they served only white rice on the side but I might ask next time if it's possible to have a more eco-friendly alternative, e.g. potatoes.

Flavors are authentic and fresh, in a great balance and I'm sure that even a bigger group can find something to have in this place!

Only minus comes from the fact that they charge ridiculously much for a glass of water. But who said you have to drink while you're eating, I at least always have my own glass bottle of water with me or continue to another place for drinks, if that's the case. ;)

Pros: Amazing and inexpensive Indian food, Quick and nice service and environment, Huge and clean bathrooms
Cons: Expensive water to drink, Rice on the side, May be booked up on som weekend evenings
Morbid Cafe
Morbid Cafe

Not going back as they charge for tap water

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

Elevant was a great favorite of mine for special occasions (a bit pricy for regular visits) and spicy Indian cravings. Until I went back there for my birthday lunch in summer of 2012 and discovered they were charging for tap water. After that the food just didn't seem to taste as good any more. On principle I am not going back until they stop the ridiculous practice of charging for tap water, in Australia that would be illegal.

Pros: Nice location, Good atmosphere
Cons: Pricy, They charge for tap water
Gudrun
Gudrun

Nice + vegan friendly

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

A very nice place in the old town center of Tallinn and probably one of the best places in Tallinn for vegetarians and vegans to go to (especially since at this moment there are only two vegetarian restaurants in town which are both located outside of the ancient center).

The "Elevant" is really nice with an oriental, cozy and friendly atmosphere. The menu (in Estonian + English) shows an extended selection of vegetarian dishes. There are no vegan dishes shown, but the staff members I talked to understood the concept of veganism, it was not necessary to explain anything ("of course we have vegan dishes!"). I was advised to go through the section for vegetarian dishes and they would let me know which of those could be veganized. I went for a curry dish with rice (made with vegetable oil). It came with some (also vegan, as the waitress stressed out) flat bread and a side salad. The side salad consisted mainly of (mild) onions which I did not like too much but the rest was really yummy.

The staff is extremely friendly and speaks excellent English.

Pros: good food with vegan options, superfriendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: serves meat, vegan options not on menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Elevant: