Serves meat, veg options available. Update: In October 2010, it was reported to happycow that their beans and flour tortillas are made with lard. Offers some vegetarian options including potato rolled tacos. Note that most dishes have cheese, so vegans need to specify. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by breathingwater
Veggie Army

Delicious and Hip and therefore crowded

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

Let me start off by saying, this restaurant is not a vegetarian restaurant, but has some great vegetarian options.

I was lead to this restaurant by a drunken friend. He knows who he is. Getting in line at the door of this Mexican adobe and ceramic tile place, you wouldn't expect to find vegetarian options let alone a section of the menu that says "Vegetarian" or the cashier to say "Do you want the Vegetarian Combo?" But you are pleasantly surprised at the sensitivity and it becomes clear how "hipster" University Heights is.

With the long line to get to the register, you could expect to have a long wait to actually get your food, so I couldn't get too upset. We get the food to go and I open the taco to find it it mostly squash and zucchini and it was good, but then I open the burrito with its black beans, rice, cheese, and mixed grilled veggies and I was in heaven.

I haven't had everything on the vegetarian menu, but what I did have, was great. I will say that, even with two cashiers and two cooks, they are understaffed for a shift that seems like their busiest.

Veg Out,

veggiearmy.yelp.com
(Coming soon - VeggieArmy.com)

Pros: Good food, Good Vegetarian Section of Menu, Hip Young Crowd
Cons: Crowded, Understaffed - untidy, Long wait
stacypatel
stacypatel

not suited for vegans

2 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

Almost everything has lard or is cooked with chicken broth, we were offered salad, but no entrees for vegans. There are many other Mexican restaurants in San Diego to eat at that cater to vegans.

Cons: lard in beans and tortillas, rice and potatoes have animal products
erikajessica
erikajessica

chicken broth in rice

2 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2010

Just an fyi, when we ordered a vegi supreme burrito last night the guy asked if we were vegan, when we said "yes" he told us the rice is cooked in chicken broth. I also wonder if the seasoned potatoes are cooked in the same chicken broth. He told us the beans were okay for vegans.

Cons: not vegan

mlslater219
mlslater219

Delicious!

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

So good I can't eat mexican anywhere else without feeling slightly disappointed. My favorite is the low-fat veggie burrito. So fresh and tasty with fewer calories. Their potatoe tacos and soy tacos are also amazing. Ooh and their hot carrots are good.

Pros: great food, healthier options, good location
Cons: gets busy, styrofoam plates
breathingwater
breathingwater

So yummy!

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

I found this place years ago when I lived in SD. I love the veggie supreme burrito. I take off the dairy and it's vegan. Also the potato rolled tacos with guacamole are super delicious. Great area and the people have always been very nice. The restaurant is cute & prices good. What always made me go back is the salsa. I love it!

Pros: Salsa, Food, Prices
Guest
Guest

O.K.

1 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2007

The past 3 times I ate there at least one of my "potato" rolled tacos has been chicken or beef. My friend ordered a bean tostada and discovered a hug mound of chicken hidden beneath the lettuce. I will not eat there ever again.

• Guanton Guanton

I had the same problem. 3 times in a row something had meat in it when I ordered a vegetarian option. No good. Never going back.

Dear Owner and Manager of El Zarape: