El Vergel

Popular restaurant offers a large menu with vegan options clearly marked. Non smoking. Also a large health food store upstairs. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Spanish, International, Beer/Wine
Pso de la Florida 53 (Metro: Principe Pio, near Plaza de España and Casa de Campo park)
Madrid, Spain
34-915471952

Open 10.00-00.00, menu from 13.30-24.00.

First Review by nottsvegan
HappyTiger
HappyTiger

Really good menu

3 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2014

Cheap for an organic restaurant! The vegan options are not so varied, but they will "veganize" anything on the menu if you ask them to.

It would be great if they updated the menu and added some more vegan options though.

Pros: Price, Organic food, Location
Cons: Poor vegan options
ZetaLucy
ZetaLucy

Veganos, abstenerse

3 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

Hacía tiempo que no comía aquí y su calidad y opciones veganas han empeorado. La comida es muy simple y falta de recursos. Lo único pasable: el postre.

Pros: Precio
Cons: Tristes opciones veganas
Fer
Fer

Good vegetarian

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

Large store in main floor and restaurant in underground. Good vegetarian restaurant but few vegan options. Qualitty of food at moderate price. Friendly service. Easy to park with car. Close to Principe Pio train-metro station.

Pros: Good food
Cons: Poor vegan
mininanina
mininanina

never again

2 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

The service of "el vergel" was ominous. Were slow to respond and the waiters were rude. The only option was a vegan "risotto" without cheese. we found that it was a kind of supermarket frozen rice. They served us very little of that poor rice. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Pros: poor care, bad food, expensive
Cons: good area
chrdold
chrdold

cheap and good food

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

I haven't found another place where you get an organic vegetarian/vegan lunch for 8 Euro (evenings 10, weekend 12). Including a starter (don't know if they always serve it), two dishes, bread and water. I liked the food and it was always enough for me. Vegan dishes and options are marked and you have at least two of each dish. Only sad that that there is no vegan option for the "combined plate" with the biggest variety. Once I went there at 1pm when they opened and it took 45 minutes till we got served our food.

Pros: cheap, good, vegan options
Cons: took way too long once
sbszine
sbszine

Good

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

This is a great place to visit as part of a day out involving Goya's tomb and a drink at Casa Mingo (both directly opposite El Vergel).

Plenty of vegan options here, and the staff understood my terrible Spanish when I wasn't sure ("¿Es vegano?" "Si.") The food was pretty standard but pleasant, and it was the atmosphere and friendly service that made it a great experience for me.

The shop upstairs has vegan chorizo and other delights to add to your hotel's dubious continental breakfast.

Pros: Atmosphere and service, Location, Shop upstairs
nuttybrunette
nuttybrunette

Nice

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2012

Upstairs a veggie-shop, downstairs...where they cook all the goodies!The restaurant is orange themed: walls, decorations, paintings and even napkins. Candles at the tables with books to read if one likes. Relaxing. They offer daily menu for 10 euros which includes two main dishes, bread, drink and coffee or tea, quite a deal right?

Pros: relaxing, healthy
Cons: expensive if not daily menu
Nathan
Nathan

Ok place

3 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

I ate here in April 2011. The food, service and atmosphere was OK. With so many other wonderful raw/vegan/veg options in Madrid, I wouldn't particularly rush back here.

Pros: Shop and eat at the same place
Cons: Mediocre food & service
Herold
Herold

nice first dinner in Madrid

3 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2010

We were the only ones in the restaurant when we came in at about 18:00. Nobody else arrived until we left.

The service was slow but friendly and willing to help, although no English was spoken.

We ordered several dishes, which were of various quality. I would not recommend the pizza, but the paella we had was very nice, although not verybody at the table agreed. The stuffed peppers were nicely done. The salad was bland, but the oil and vinegar at the table helped to cure that.

I had a very nice organic wine and the kids had some nice fresh apple juice.

All in all not bad for a first vegeterian Spanish adventure

Pros: good variety of choices, freshness of the food, good value
Cons: quality varied per dish, no English
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

really disappointing

2 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2009

my friend chose a dish marked vegan and they have given us with cheese melted on it. My dish bathed in oil and There was an error in the bill.

kathyv181
kathyv181

Microwave?

2 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2009

When you come in you are in this shop, which is open until 12 o`clock at night and has a good variety although it is very expenisive.
The Restaurant is downstairs and was very impressive, since it is a big place and has a very nice light surrounding the room with stons that seem of salt that have light inside.
That is about all that was fascinating.

The food was not even lukewarm and after I told them that they must have put it in the microwave, cause it came back: one half almost cooking the other half cold like before.
They didn't flavor the dish very well and served the tofu plain white without any kind of flavouring. That is a no go for me and I have better eaten at home an not paid that much money for the menu, which is not cheap.

I cannot recommend this place and be cautious if you go therer. Maybe they just had a bad day.

Pros: big, nice light, shop above
Cons: not flavoured food, not cheap, microwave
yoav66
yoav66

Nice, but limited vegan selection

3 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2007

I ate there at 11:30 pm on Thursday, October 25, 2007. The place is indeed pleasant and smoke free! However, the vegan selection is very limited. They have only menus in Spanish and the staff did not speak English. Only some of the deserts are marked as vegans. Regarding the other courses, one needs to figure it out from the list of ingredients in Spanish (which is not so difficult...).
The paella and fruit pie that I had were very tasty.
In summary, you can check it out if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go there especially.

Pros: Pleasant, tasty, open late
Cons: Limited vegan selection, Everything is in Spanish
swade
swade

Not bad

3 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2007

Ate here for lunch on a weekday and food wasn't bad but nothing special. Portions were a decent size and reasonably priced. Waitress was a little impatient at first as we struggled with our phrase book but was chattier later on. Neither of us were vegans but was noticeable that many dishes were suitable for vegans and clearly indicated by a 'v' symbol. Worth mentioning that you have to walk quite a way down the road if you're coming from the Principe Pio metro and not that well numbered - we thought it had closed down and almmost gave up at one point.

Pros: Good portions, OK food, lots of tables
Cons: Impatient staff
nottsvegan
nottsvegan

Great healthy, vegan food

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2007

A very popular and busy restaurant. We went on a Saturday afternoon and had to wait a while for a table. A nice place to relax after a walk in the Casa de Campo park. A large menu with vegan options clearly indicated. Fresh juices are nice. El Vergel is a short walk from Principe Pio train station, along the Paseo de Florida. If you are in the Casa de Campo, go to the Teleferico (cablecar) station (at the city end) and cross the bridge across the train lines, then turn left onto the Paseo de Florida.
There is a big, very well stocked health food shop here too.

Pros: Vegan options indicated, Lots of choice
Cons: Staff not very helpful

Dear Owner and Manager of El Vergel: