All vegetarian restaurant is part of the Sirenis hotel complex, situated on the eastern side of the Dominican Republic, on the Uvero Alto-Macao beach in the Hig├╝ey region. Restaurant is located in the Punta Cana complex. Price: Expensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto

First Review by Ken4057
Ken4057
Ken4057

A Vegan Marriage Proposal

3 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2012

Neither my fiancee or I had ever been to an all-inclusive, and we chose this one expressly because they had an all-vegetarian restaurant included in the package. We had a beautiful time on this gorgeous resort (and she obviously said yes to marrying me), but eating there as an ethical vegan was quite a challenge. I would give the resort four cows, but I would only give the food two for reasons I will explain.

At this all-inclusive, you will not be having most of your meals at the resort's themed restaurants (which also include Mexican, Italian, Japanese and a Texas-style steakhouse). You must make a dinner reservation each day through one of the concierges, which can be very annoying and tiresome. The rest of your meals will be spent in one of the two buffet-style 'restaurants' which are more like cafeterias and are larger and noisier during peak times.

The vegetarian restaurant, which is the smallest on the resort and was dead quiet each night, had three mains to choose from, and they were cheese-centric. One had a soy cheese, which turned out not to be vegan. The portions were small and the dishes were disappointing and unmemorable. We ate there the first night and never went back.

The Italian restaurant did a cheese-less pizza and a very tasty pasta dish, and had lots of grilled veggies. Unfortunately, we took some of the pizza home and put it in the fridge in our room, my fiancee ate it the next day, and she got very bad food poisoning, the night before I proposed no less! Luckily the on-site clinic treated her and she was much better within 12 hours - get travel insurance!

The Mexican restaurant was actually the best. Lots of freshly grilled veggies with salsa, tortillas, refried beans, beans/rice and more. We ate here twice and it was lovely.

The Japanese-style resto was very disappointing. It was very noisy, with chefs grilling meat in front of the diners at large counter-style tables. The communication was terrible so they kept bringing us out seafood. We eventually got veggie fried rice grilled for us separately, but the other diners were staring at us with expressions that said 'wtf.' Quite disappointing.

Lots of rotating options at the buffet restos, but if you are a vegan (or even a vegetarian-many sauces have meat stock) you HAVE to get friendly with the staff/chef either before you fly or on arrival. Be clear and have them show you what you can eat. Bring a Vegan Passport, etc.

Please message me for further details, as I'm out of space

Dear Owner and Manager of El Vergel: