Small restaurant with view of the kitchen. Has handmade pasta, menu of the day, juices and smoothies. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Mexican, Fusion

VegHeadNYC
VegHeadNYC

Fabulous Vegetarian Food

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2015

This is an excellent vegetarian restaurant in Tulum open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My family and I visited in April 2015. My husband is vegan and my children and I are vegetarian. We had a truly delicious dinner at El Vegetariano on our first night in Tulum. The spinach soup was the best soup I have ever tasted. My husband enjoyed his carrot and broccoli soup. Do not miss the homemade pasta noodles - my son loved these and wanted to keep coming back to El Vegetariano! We also recommend the enchiladas with soy meat and homemade sauce and the mushroom veggie burger. The desserts are very different than American vegan desserts; the apple pie was more like a fruitcake in consistency. The drinks are not to be missed - fresh fruit smoothies and coconut water straight from the coconut. The service was attentive and expedient. We wished we had vacationed in Tulum longer so we could have returned to El Vegetariano - it is fabulous.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 14, 2015

aner1kind17
aner1kind17

Ok, not great

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2015

The restaurant is beautifully decorated and really sweet. I was excited about the food and decided to order the only Mexican dish on the menu - soy Enchiladas. However, I didn't enjoy them that much - it was alright. Maybe the European dishes are better.

swissglobetrotter
swissglobetrotter

disinterested and unaccomodating staff

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2015

Ate here once before and it was ok so I decided to return. Arrived at lunch time, board on the outside was advertising a set menu price when asking about it to the waiter we were told only for after 4pm. Why advertise a low offer price from the street and not give this once sitting down to eat there? Asked a Juice combination which was not on the menu and was told "No, choose from the list". When pointing out that all fruits are there available the waiter said ok but with surcharge. Tried ordering food, was with non-veg family, they wanted to order chilaquiles (probably the easiest mexican food to prepare) was told it is available only for breakfast. Overall we didn't like the attitude of the female waiter and being so unaccommodating so we decided to leave! Talking with a friend he confirmed me a similar treatment so will definitely not return.

Pros: food ok
Cons: service, false advertisement, unaccomodating

LaPria
LaPria

Very cheap, great food and vibe.

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

First restaurant in Tulum I saw when we drove in to the main street in the center. They improved since the last time I visited in january 2014. Lots of vegan options, simple but fresh food, very friendly staff. Also great green juices and fresh mint tea. Open clean kitchen. Great for breakfast, lunch and diner.
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 08, 2014

BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Nice but not many vegan choices

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

What's nice about this restaurant is that it's one of the few being open early in the morning for breakfast.
We went there for breakfast and they actually have the same menu both for breakfast & lunch meals.
They are only a few choices and 90% of them are vegetarians and not vegan
Lot of meals with eggs!
The waitress was very nice though and accommodated our plates according to our vegan choices
They also offer juices and smoothies..and soy milk latte
The food is cheap and the place is cool!

Pros: Easy to find, Decoration, Open kitchen
Cons: not many vegan choices

Dear Owner and Manager of El Vegetariano: