Pleasant atmosphere with good service. There is a daily set menu that includes big soup, main plate, drink and small dessert. Closed Sunday Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto
Cantuarias 285 (the corner of Ave. La Paz)
Lima, Peru

Mon-Sat 9:00am-8:00pm

• Cash only

First Review by Pernilleskokken
Patapompon
Patapompon

Cheap and good!

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

I have been two times at El Vegetariano and I really appreciated. I took the menu (S/.11, but 12 on Saturday) with starter, main course, dessert, drink and yogurt. The service is quick, the food good and the portions aren't small. It is also possible to ask for a 'doggy-bag' for the yogurt, dessert and drink if you prefer to.
I like the atmosphere and the quality of food, even if it is not really refined o surprising. I've heard that the founders of El Vegetariano used to work at Bircher Benner before, so basically you get the same food but cheaper. In fact, it is possible to buy Bircher Benner products as well in the restaurant.

Pros: Cheap, Excellent price-quality ratio, Nice staff
Marlies90
Marlies90

Definitely worth visiting

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2014

Great value for money, especially in Miraflores. The lunch menu is now 11 soles and includes starter, main dish, drink, yogurt and small dessert. You usually have 2 options to choose from, I especially like the raw salad + dressing. Lots of locals here and the waitresses are nice!

Pros: Price, Quality, Variety
Cookierenn1
Cookierenn1

Quick cheap lunch

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2013

Like most of the other reviews, I did the fixed menu of the day. Since I'm vegan the helpfully waitress did a little bit of subbing for me, even with my horrible Spanish. The place is busy with locals, which is always a good sign. The food is Peruvian, just done veggie style. It's no culinary creation, just simple but still remains tasty. Perfect for lunch, and amazingly cheap!

Pros: Tasty , Fast, Cheap

DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Great simple peruvian food

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

"El vegetariano" was the first place I went in Peru to eat and the outcome could not be greater.
My girlfried and I asked for a "LomoLife", which is a mix of vegetables and gluten with a great peruvian taste, and a fried banana option as a side dish. Everything was simple, but delicious. And be sure to order juice in peruvian restaurants.
I would definitely come back.

Pros: delicious, inexpensive, great staff
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Real Peruvian Food

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

This place serves very authentic Peruvian food, just without meat. I went with two Peruvians and they both loved the food. My wife claims this is the best vegan lomo saltado she has ever had. My non vegetarian father-in-law has been craving the sopa criolla (not vegan) for two days. He asked me today if we can go back tomorrow. LOL.

Pros: Cheap, Great area of town , Authentic
Elahn Keshava
Elahn Keshava

Great Value

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2012

Quite a nice village type of atmosphere, very generous portions, flexible when asking for something to be a little different (no sugar etc), pretty good taste, all in all a positive experience.

Stevie
Stevie

El Vegetariano, Miraflores, Lima

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

I rocked in here for lunch and events were uncannily similar to what happened at the Bircher place round the corner where I ate last night. I was server by a very helpful person. The menuy is in Spanish and also English. Most of the dishes seem ovo-lacto oriented so I ask the waitress for a recommendation on a vegan soup and main.

I was given exactly the same 2 dishes as the place last night, the potato, noddle and spinach soup to start, and the for the maion the dishes of seitan, potato and red pepper server with rice. Even the way the food was presented was the same. On both occasions only 1 of the 2 dishes would have been enough to fill me up. Difference is today I had the sense not to keep on eating after I was full up.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly
  • Vegan Vagabond Vegan Vagabond

You had lomo saltado (strips of steak and tomatoes, served over French fries and rice, and doused in a soy sauce based sauce. You also had sopa de papas amarillas. Both of these dishes are very typical Peruvian dishes, so it is not surprising you were served these dishes at two different Peruvian restaurants.

maynard7
maynard7

Good food here

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

This place has quite good food. The owner used to work for Bircher Benner Vegetarian Restaurant several years ago, so the food is very similar, but here it's only 9 soles as compared to 12.9 at BB. Quick service and good food. You usually have 2-3 choices for the appetizer, but only one main plate. The only thing I don't like is that the food can get repetitive here if you go often (the same rice, the same sauces, etc). The fixed lunch menu is available from Monday through Saturday. If the main dining room is full, there's another one in the back. The location is good, being in the Miraflores neighborhood where most tourists go. If you are a foreigner, they will give you the printed menu, which you can order from, but the best deal is the meal of the day.

Pros: Good quality food, Location
Cons: Repetitive
islandveg
islandveg

Good food, good price

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2009

I ate there twice and liked the atmosphere and food. The staff was friendly, the food was very good

Pros: Tasty, Price, Friendly
purevegetarian
purevegetarian

Inexpensive food in an expensive district

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2009

Excellent Peruvian cuisine made vegetarian. The Arroz Chaufa and the fresh juices are fantastic. Like most restaurants in Peru the toilet facilities are not so good.

Pernilleskokken
Pernilleskokken

Excellent Food including typical peruvian dishes

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2007

Here you will find Lomo saltado - veggie. You don't like mazamorra? No problem you can get fruit salad instead. There green salad dressing is excellent and I recommend patatas fritas as a side dish. The waitresses were very nice to explain what all the dishes were. Not greatly decorated but does the job. Sells veggie products and yogurt by the litre. Heavy on veg, big portions, many drinks and extras (honey, salsas,...). Almuerzo/Lunch: still 2 choices for appetizers, one main, an emoliente + yogurt and dessert for 8 soles.

Pros: Excellent cuisine, Typical dishes veggie, Helpful staff

Dear Owner and Manager of El Vegetariano: