El Romero means "rosemary". This vegetarian restaurant offers mostly organic cuisine made from locally produce ingredients. English menu available. Confirmed open Aug 2012. Price: Expensive more-less
Caribbean, Cuban, Beer/Wine, Organic, Juice bar
Terraza 170, Edificio 5, Las Terrazas, Pinar del Rio (Las Terrazas eco village)
Candelaria, Cuba
537-6404375

Open 9:30-21:30.

First Review by TofuCelt
turtleveg
turtleveg

Superb! So glad to find this gem in Cuba!

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

I visited Las Terrazas in January 2013 and was so excited to have the opportunity to eat at El Romero! The owner, Tito Nunez, has been serving vegetarian food in Cuba since the 1990's, and promoting plant based diets. This is not an easy feat in Cuba! He is so warm and welcoming; it was such a pleasure to meet him. El Romero has been open since 2003.
This was by far the BEST meal I ate in Cuba. After several days of mostly rice and beans and pathetic salads, the creative options at El Romero made my taste buds so happy! Sure, the food is pricier than other restaurants in Cuba, but it is very much worth every cent - and priced at about what I would expect to pay for a decent meal in North America.
I also love that they care about being eco-friendly and grow much of their own produce. They also reserve 2 tables for locals and offer meals at low price for them. I think that is wonderful that Tito makes sure that locals can afford to eat there! I happily pay a little more so that the restaurant can keep going and help the local community while also promoting plant based food.

Pros: delicious, eco-friendly, creative
Cons: a little pricey (but worth it)
ena1979
ena1979

Closed?

2 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2010

I went there last Thurday 06/05/2010 and it was closed, it didn't say anything on the door though. In fact all the cafes and bars were also closed, the day before they didn't have water or electricity supply for the whole day, so god know the state of the food in that heat without a fridge!

TofuCelt
TofuCelt

Not worth it

2 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2009

Most of the ingredients are from the town area itself. The restaurant tries to stick to vegan diet and is mostly organic. Although the food here is fairly good, there is a huge abuse of the prices, and EVERYTHING is charged for. For example, if you order a dip, you must also pay for the crudites or bread to go with it. The sugar and milk for the coffee is also charged. You only get exactly what you ordered and no more. Although nice ok, there is an abuse of veggie tourists here. Not worth it. Better to go elsewhere. Not only was it the most expensive place I ate in Cuba, but the most expensive place I've ever eaten in the world and I've been all over the world. And they have the cheek to ak for a 10% tip. Needless to say, as we had to pay European prices (and more) for a smaller meal and wine, and pay for even the extra bits, we did no leave a single cuc (Cuban money for tourists). In short, nice restaurant, ok food, ok staff, but extremely expensive. Not worth it.

Pros: Nice decor, Food ok, Staff ok
Cons: Extremely expensive, A Charge for Everything, Asked for a Tip

Dear Owner and Manager of El Romero: