El Piano provides 100% vegan and gluten-free meals and has two other outlets (in Granada and Malaga). Mains are served in biodegradable pine boats--choose what you'd like with each portion. Wrapido (window service) is also available. The floor above the restaurant is divided into 3 private rooms that are available for guest overnight stays. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Spanish, Mediterranean, Western, Beer/Wine, Catering, Take-out

Agata F.
Agata F.

Something a bit different

3 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2014

This is a bit of a strange one. As much as I enjoyed the concept of the place (it's completely vegan and gluten free, Spanish style cooking) the food itself was a bit of a disappointment. It a bit hard to know what you're gonna get: I've been there twice and each time my bf got a dish that was really nice, yet my won dishes were nowhere near as impressive. So it is a bit of a hit and miss.

I can def recommend their massive veggie burger and banana and potato frittata (served as a side dish). Corn balls in chocolate sauce were really good too. I personally didn't like the meatballs, as they tasted very fennely, their mousaka was really potatoy and not to my taste either (even though I normally adore mousaka).

Overall, it is worth giving this place a try.
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 11, 2014

Pros: Friendly staff, Gluten free, Good value for money
Cons: Menu seems a bit confusing
Elvie
Elvie

Meh

3 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2014

I'm not a huge fan of El Piano, and much prefer the nearby Goji. I find the menu vast and confusing, and it's difficult to know how much food you're going to get. The food I've had there has been too heavy, variable in quality, and occasionally cold. Of course it's great to have a vegan place in town so I go once in a while just to support them, but it's never my first choice. The staff are always very nice and it has a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: friendly staff, nice atmosphere, great location
Cons: confusing menu, mediocre food , bit expensive
emzie1983
emzie1983

Delicious!!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

El Piano is a small, friendly cafe with a very relaxed atmosphere and fun decor. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The menu has a huge range of all vegan meals, with influences from all over the world.

My friend and I had a meal that consists of a choice of hot dish, fritters and salad for £10 each.
I chose moussaka, carrot and spring onion fritters and Mexican slaw. All of the them were delicious, and you get a good mix of food having one item from each section.
My friend had dhal (which was amazingly rich and creamy!), spinach and tomato fritters and hummus.
I also had a chocolate milkshake that was SO tasty-better than any dairy milkshake you could get :)

Next time I go to York I will definitely be going back!!

Pros: Good value for money, Delicious and varied menu, Friendly and relaxed

Bones
Bones

Fabulous - exceeded expectations

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2014

So many of my vegan (and non-vegan) friends have raved about this place and I have been wanting to try it for ages and finally managed it.
Up in York for Le Tour de France, I booked for Friday, found the restaurant easily and was warmly greeted.
Just looking at the menu made my mouth water, it's all vegan and gluten-free and the wine-list had Sam Smith's vegan friendly beers on.
I chose the Mole, Tinas and Hannes Homage and boy did it taste great and the portions were just right. Also opted for a side order of Mathematical chips.
I didn't really need a dessert, but had one anyway, going for the Citrus cheesecake - again it was excellent.

I was so impressed I bought one of their recipe books!

In fact, it was that good that I returned on the Sunday night.

The prices are reasonable, the food is ace and the staff are lovely.

The only downside is that I live over 150 miles away...

Pros: Great food, Good portions, Lovely staff
Cons: It's too far from where I live!
jon active
jon active

Wonderful place

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2013

Great food, not too expensive, friendly staff, unfortunately had run out of a few of their options when we were there. Worth negotiating the crowds of tourists in York to get to this haven.

Pros: Great food, Unusual food, Food mile conscious
Cons: In York
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

So kind of you to encourage people to fight the crowds to get to us in the heart of York. Thank you for writing about us.

Flynn
Flynn

Brilliant Place

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

I went here with my mum on birthday, it was wonderful, one of the best restaurant experiences i have had.

The place is nice, and we got seated upstairs in a cosy little room. The staff were great, and helped us patiently while we pored over the menu.

We went for the 'Hispanic Platter' (£29.99) which was plenty of food for 2, maybe even enough for 3, and was absolutely delicious, a lovely selection of fritters, salads and savory dishes. The food was very fresh tasting and interesting. I was stuffed afterwards, but felt surprisingly good, which i attributed to the absence of gluten.

Afterwards I had a cheesecake and a coffee, and all of that plus 2 glasses of wine and a fizzy water came to £50.

It was a great lunch, I would recommend it to anybody visiting york, and would even say it's worth a trip from further afield.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Staff, Lovely Location
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thank you so much for such praise. We really appreciate you taking time to write about us.

Beckylovesfood
Beckylovesfood

Love this place!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2013

Came here for dinner on my Birthday, we ordered a platter and when it arrived it had a couple of candles in which was so nice!

I was so impressed because they put the food in front of us and my meat eating hubby actually looked excited to eat. Normally I have to drag him to places and he politely eats but I really think he enjoyed it! It was the first time we have ever got to share anything too! (BIG bonus!) Oh and he has never enjoyed cabbage before but he was happily eating the mexislaw!

The staff were all really nice and the food was good. The bonus for me is that it is gluten free and as I am not so good with gluten I could happily eat everything including puddings without worrying.

We ate there the next night and also bought one of their beautiful rugs which are so soft under your feet by the way.
Thanks El Piano for a lovely couple of evenings, you made my week!

Pros: Gluten Free, Nice atmosphere, Even meat eaters will like it
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

What a lovely review you have posted for us. Thank you!

Lovely to hear that you BOTH enjoyed the food...The EL PIANO YORK cooks are really great...many years of experience between them and AMAZINGLY they still love to go to work each day and DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN...

As for the carpets, they are made in Spain by friends of ours, recycled fibres and machine washable I still have three which I bought nearly 20 years ago. The trick is to not let them get too dirty and wash them regularly.

Chnanis
Chnanis

Lovely restaurant in York town, Hot dishes!

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2013

Good vegan hot dishes.

The soup was great, there are 2 soup of the day which changed everyday,
bread is gluten free, side salad was fresh and chill.

You can choose to have set meal or just any course you would like.

Anyway, the place is quite small, smell from the kitchen is all around, so be prepared to get some food smell on you clothes and hair!

However, overall, I like it here. :)

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Only yesterday I bumped into a friend of ours who has the Pizzeria down the road just past EL PIANO in Granada. Kisses on both cheeks being the custom I remarked how GOOD he smelled - all fresh and not a trace of pizza, whereas I had been in the kitchen all morning and found myself commenting that the Eau de Curry was my perfume for the day...so yes, an open kitchen, although having the advantage of EVERYTHING being on display, important we think as we cater for so many vulnerable diners with food allergies and intolerances, can, at times, NONETHELESS make it impossible to disguise where you have just eaten...

Thanks for your review and being so positive about your experience of EL PIANO.

Livinglost
Livinglost

Changed my opinion

4 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

I went here a few years ago and didn't have the best experience, but was persuaded to try it again. We booked as a large group which meant we had to order what they described as party food, so it was basically a buffet for £12.50 a head. Not having a choice about this was quite frustrating, but there was plenty of food and it was all very tasty. I especially loved the Dahl, it was nice and garlicky (that's a word right?). Being gluten free and vegan the food is never going to look particularly fancy, but I enjoyed it.

Pros: tasty
Cons: Lack of choice for a large group, Slightly pricey
  • Livinglost Livinglost

I must admit we were very tempted to cancel. We were told we had to pay £15 to use the room that we didn't request to use and we had to share it with other people. Seemed a bit odd to me, I did call up about this again as I didn't think it was right but was assured this was the case, eventually we didn't have to pay, I'm not sure why. I often don't know how many drinks I want with my meal or what I would like to drink in advance, saving 40p didn't appeal to me as much as having something I wanted on the night, I felt that was a bit of an odd offer, you're right, I'm not sure anywhere else in York can compare to that. There were also a few of us on a budget who would have preferred a smaller meal, I'm not arguing against the value we got, just that we were forced into paying £12.50.

I did enjoy the food though and had a nice evening, so I can put it behind me and go back again for some more grub, maybe as a smaller group though.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Bravo for giving us another go! Thank you.

Depending on the size of your group you will get everything on the menu anyway when you book a party at EL PIANO, so honestly, you aren't missing anything!

It was interesting to read that you found EL PIANO YORK pricey. Most people reckon it's a great deal to have a party in a private Medieval dining space where you can sing, dance, chat, move around, all within sight of York Minster, for as long as you want it AND the chance of 10% off ALL pre-ordered drinks. I don't think there is anywhere else in York to compare...

hack_man
hack_man

Play it again Sam

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

A truly exceptional place tucked away in a wonderful part of the city. This is a uniquely different establishment with friendly staff, novel ideas and a hugely welcoming atmosphere. It's colourful and vibrant with plenty of seating up and down. A great place for breakfast, a snack, a cake and coffee or a romantic evening meal with wine. The mezzes are out of this world, a bit pricey perhaps but top quality. No cheap humous, pitta bread and olives here just a superbly inventive combination of delights served with style and providing another angle to the usual mezze that you can get at most vegetarian establishments. Along with Goji Cafe this is a must go eating place in York.

Pros: food, atmosphere, staff
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks so much for your review. It's great when people notice that the food is all made on site and not bought from a central factory simply to be dished up. Regrettably prices in El Piano York are as much as TWICE the prices in El Piano Granada and El Piano Malaga and we regret this very much. If we could lower them in York, we would...

LindaFern
LindaFern

el piano

2 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2013

No real entrees, just a collection of side dishes cobbled together to form a 'meal (also out of what could have been decent menu items at 5pm?). All microwaved, my sons 'bread' and polenta-like dish were microwaved until rock hard. Hapless, inexperienced staff. Bizarre menu items, a dish that claimed to taste 'just like an omelette' was some dry, layered potatoes. Worst coffee imaginable. Cannot imagine how it's stayed in business this long. Also, much more expensive than 3 other excellent meals we had in York at Goji and Ambiente. I'm sure the owner will try to defend the restaurant but I would advise you to ignore the rebuttal.

Cons: food not fresh or tasty, slow service, way overpriced
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

We are glad you enjoyed our neighbours. York is a great destination with lots to offer. It's a shame you didn't find anything you liked about EL PIANO. Fifteen years of 'food for all' has brought us success and a real sense of fulfilment in providing quality fresh food at a good price and we like all our customers to feel a part of that success.
    Certainly much of what we serve is different from what you may be used to, drawing as we do, on recipes from all over the world. It enables us to offer a whole range of flavours that are BOTH vegan AND gluten free. Vaquero style coffee, for example, is for the coffee lover and not everyone's 'cup of tea' forgive the humour...
    You are right. There is the option to order every dish separately (as well as many combo plates which you did not mention). This is for a couple of reasons. One is so that people can choose absolutely everything individually. Another is so that there is no blending of foods, one dish 'bleeding' into another. This is an important consideration for many of our more vulnerable diners who have restricted diets.
    Microwaves are in ALL restaurants ALMOST without exception. The big difference in EL PIANO is that ours are not hidden.
    HAPPY COW, as a website, and EL PIANO, as an eating venue, both depend on people’s integrity when offering their opinions. This means that what is written is circumspect, truthful and not motivated by a wish to do harm. Happily HAPPY COW readers are discerning.

Janeycat
Janeycat

Scrumptious!

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

Gorgeous food! Such a great choice and totally nut free - I could eat everything on the menu. AMAZING!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 10, 2012

Pros: vegan, Nut free, gluten free
Cons: Too far from where I live :(
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

DELIGHTED! You are just the person we are thinking about when we come up with all these dishes. Not entirely nut free though...still using sesame seeds and coconut. This is mentioned all over the place on the menu but it's worth stating it again for anyone who needs to be super careful...

Alyson
Alyson

Great place

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here for three nights in one week whilst on holiday in York, and every meal was great. The variety of dishes means you can sample lots of different flavours. All the food is vegan which is a huge bonus. We particularly liked the dahl, corn fritters, sweet potato pate, 'meat' balls, chick pea curry, and the chocolate cake. Menu features international dishes. Be warned though - don't over-order the tapas dishes - we ordered so much the first night we could hardly sleep because of our full tummys! But we couldn't waste such lovely food. Staff very friendly. Worth booking a table if you're going when it's a busy time of day or during a holiday period. Only one negative thing- the cheesecake was way too cheesy and little other flavour.

Pros: vegan, tasty, friendly
Cons: small-ish place
alia_801
alia_801

Friendly cafe with fantastic food!

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

After being warmly welcomed and comfortably seated the staff gave us time to settle before taking our order. After considering the wide range of options we settled for the Hispanic tray - a mixed platter including a yummy chilli, refried beans and corn chips, and - my favourite - tiny carrot and onion patties. The red lead dip should be bottled to take away for later as it was incredible. We were too full for dessert (the platter says it's for 2-3 people; it left two of us nicely full).
We went to do a York ghost walk (highly recommended too - but dress warmly!) and returned to the cafe to be greeted as old friends. We plumped for a warming jug of hot chocolate each (2 1/2 cups per jug), cheesecake and scrummy toffee pudding.
We'll definitely be back when next in the area!

Pros: Wide range of tasty food , Lots of vegan options, Friendly service
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

It's great when you go somewhere and then return and people greet you warmly...but it is a game of two halves you know...we are very lucky in our customers. They want us to do well and are good fun.

gemicake
gemicake

Absolutely incredible!!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2012

I don't usually write reviews, but I had to get on here and tell everyone how incredible 'El Piano' really is. It is not only the best vegan restaurant I have ever been to, but also the best of any restaurant I have ever been to. The food is fresh, varied and there are so many unique flavors. Everything is homemade including the breads for burgers and the sauces! It was so incredible I was worried we might have a bit of a shock when the bill came... but to my surprise it was well under £50 for two people which included a few drinks, deserts, starters and a main course so packed full of different dishes I couldn't finish it! There were a huge number of options for main courses, I was really spoiled for choice. I cannot wait to get back to York just to pay 'El Piano' another visit!
Updated from previous review on Friday December 28, 2012

Pros: varied & delicious, friendly staff, great atmosphere
Cons: Restaurant is a little small
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

What a relief to see that your review was in December...that means I am catching up...we have been WAY too remiss in responding to our HAPPY COW diners...what a warm hearted commentary you have given us. It is much appreciated and really helps everyone. The staff are always motivated by positive comment, even positive criticism and the many improvements we make are definitely informed by our customers. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sabine82
Sabine82

Just perfect!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2012

We spend a wonderful lunch in the backyard (inside it's pretty dim). The spanish-oriental dishes all tasted great and particularly the cheesecake. It's unbelievable that all this food is vegan and glutenfree. Even my picky daughter ate so much.

When we go back to the North we will choose a hotel in York (not in Leeds, like this time), just for being able to eat there more often. I'm not kidding!

Pros: delicious food, nice staff, childfriendly
Cons: inside very dimly, not in my neighbourhood ;-)
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thank you. And the local hoteliers will be thanking you too...If you want the cheesecake recipe just let us know. There are a few that we use, and the one we make in EL PIANO GRANADA is SO easy and delicious...

newshiny
newshiny

Fabulous!

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

Went to El Piano with the family, including 3 (can be fairly picky) kids, aged 5-8. 2 adults had the "square meal" with 3 options, the dahl was to die for! Even hubby (long distance runner, ALWAYS hungry) was groaning at the end because he was so full up. 2 kids had veggie burgers, and couldn't finish the whole dinner. They were all served different salads, but most of them were really very spicy. Not so suitable for most small children, I'd have said. 3rd kid had mini-square meal, with falafels. All (smaller) meals were served with corn chips.

Price was very reasonable, dinners were filling, and it was all incredibly tasty. Would certainly go back again.

Pros: Tasty, Filling, Inexpensive
Cons: Salads very spicy
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Well thank you! Very pleased that the SQUARE MEALS were a hit. We spent a long time thinking that one out as we so wanted to be able to give people good food at an affordable price. And yes, the dhal...15 years at EL PIANO YORK and it has never been off the menu...it's still the one dish that those of us who have been there all these years are still enthusiastic about eating day in day out...

Sammo84
Sammo84

Out of this world

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

Words cannot do enough justice to how pleased I was I went to El Piano for dinner on my trip to York. It was easily the best meal I've ever had in a vegan restaurant.

I had the sweetcorn and pepper soup for starters. It was really flavourful and the use of Japanese rice crackers for croutons was a great touch. The little gluten free roll was super tasty as well.

For the main course I had the meal for one with Corn Fritters, Chilli Sin Carne, and a Spanish Omelette. The three tapas dishes came with an amazing rice dish that was just great. The corn fritters came with a mango and raisin chutney which complimented the flavours perfectly.

The service was great, the waitress was super friendly and I couldn't recommend this restaurant more if I tried. I even bought one of their cookbooks to try and recreate some of the dishes once I got home.

Oh... Bring your hunger... You're going to need it :-)

Pros: Amazing food, Great Service, Good value
Cons: Not enough room in my belly
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Well it's nearly a year since you were in EL PIANO YORK...how crap are we...SO sorry, and thanks so much for your enthusiastic review. Actually it's nearly midnight as I write this and your description of the food has actually made me hungry again!

ravenswing
ravenswing

GET IN MY BELLY

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

One of my favourite places to eat in england, the VAT buster makes you feel like you're going to die from a combination of gut over-expansion and mouth-orgasms. I love the little banana-leaf boats and the gorgeous silver teapots. The staff are always friendly and attentive. The cheesecake is NOM. Was a bit sad the sweet potato mousse was off the menu recently though, as this was my favourite bit on my last visit. But you're still awesome El Piano please continue to feed me until I am obese

Pros: NOM FOOD, NICE STAFF, BANANA BOATS
Cons: S/p/m where you go? :{
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

What a lovely review. Thanks so much. We have been poor at responding on the HAPPY COW site recently but are set to improve it! I had the great pleasure to meet some of the people behind the scenes at HAPPY COW recently. They do so much for all of us...so continue to support them with reviews and comment. It makes all the differnce.

Gefion
Gefion

Enjoyable

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2012

Visited recently with omnivore husband. Good selection of dishes. Chose tapas style as this was a one off visit whilst travelling up country. Food was very nice, even compliments on spanish tortilla from omnivore! Very filling which was upsetting as desserts looked excellent, however, these were offered as take out... very nice they were too. Nice packaging. Staff very friendly and helpful. Only downside was very small table in corner felt a little cramped.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Take out option
Cons: A little on expensive side, Table a little cramped
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks so much for your review. Forgive us for taking so long to respond. We appreciate your comments about feeling cramped. This is the trouble with a medieval building...did you see the poor 6' 10" waiter! We have made some changes, enlarging some areas, and you may find it better on another visit.

SunFlowerChild
SunFlowerChild

Enjoyable

4 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2011

Very warm and welcoming decor and staff. My mother needs non-spicy gluten-free and I like vegan so suited us both. Food great but could do with serving a tasty sauce (perhaps a selection) in a gravyboat for those of us who wish more flavour or to spice it up a bit.

Pros: healthy food, good choice, friendly staff
Cons: flavour lacking in some dishes
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for your review. Glad our combination vegan AND gluten-free suited you both. I wish we have known about the need for sauce...we have a number of sauces and salsas that we make ourselves (to ensure there are no hidden ingredients.) A stack of three is served with trays and with certain other dishes... Anytime, in ANY restaurant, do ask... You are paying for the privilege of eating out and we are there to make it as good as we can... Next time you come just tell us you want the sauce stack...

soyacat
soyacat

Hit all the right notes :D

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

Lovely all Vegan cafe-restaurant nestling among York's lovely medieval shopping streets is El Piano, had the VAT Buster for £19.95...save lots of room! Had a rich and warming tomato soup garnished with chilli rice crackers and served with warm, home-made (gluten-free) bread, followed by brown rice, spanish potato omelette, corn patties and tabbouleh...followed by scrummy rasperry cheesecake. Included in the deal was a juice and a drink, I washed down my dishes with Jasmine tea which arrived in a gorgeous exotic silver tea-pot...great, friendly service and truly imaginitivew and delicious food! Will definitely be returning!!! :)

Pros: Wide menu, All gluten free, Sublime soup!
Cons: None?!?!
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Well you are going to love this then... In cooperation with 2012 VISIT ENGLAND we are boosting the VAT buster with an even LARGER wine or juice and offering it at £20.12 or, another related offer is a party for 20 people at 12 pst per person, Monday - Thursday...Shame the government won't reduce the 20 percent VAT rate to 12 percent as part of their celebrations!

loobybunny
loobybunny

One of my favourite places!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

I really love this little restaurant! The menu is seasonal and very varied, I would say there is something to suit everyone! (even my meatloving cousin is happy to eat there!) The staff are really friendly and always happy to help.
I would say however, because there is so much to choose from its very easy to get carried away and order too much, which can get a bit pricey!
I highly reccommend the carrot cake, the brownie and the hot chocolate! Devine!!

Pros: fresh seasonal menu, friendly staff, amazing vegan cakes
Cons: can be slow service during busier times
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

A lovely review. Thank you. Your advice about over-ordering is right... The food at El Piano is very satisfying. Fresh, good quality ingredients, well prepared, will readily stave off hunger and have no empty calories... You can always add to the order later, or enjoy more than one dessert as you did!

Veryblue2
Veryblue2

Great food to go...

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

Friendly staff, take out order took a while but as it wasn't too busy they let us sit at one of the tables to wait. Environmentally conscious packaging was a nice touch. Desserts recommended!
Updated from previous review on Friday July 01, 2011

Pros: great food, environmentally conscious packaging, dessert
Cons: on the slower side, a bit disorganised :) , small
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks so much for taking time to review El Piano in York. Sorry about the wait for the take out...we are glad it was worth the wait. We are trying to pick up our game on this and reviews make us aware it is appreciated...

Opalfruit
Opalfruit

...

2 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

Like an Episode from Fawlty Towers... We went here on 27th April 2011. It was a nice day and we sat out back, it was a pleasant day and they appeared to be a barbecue going on at the back of the yard. The staff were drinking and entertaining their friends there. Our order was taken and then the list of mist started.
1. We were served the wrong drinks and sent them back.
2. When we had the right drinks, they doubled up and tried to serve us the same drinks again.
3. It took ages for our order to arrive.
4. Only my food arrived, we waited for the my partners food to arrive, but it did not.
5. I ate my food, it was cold and very bland, expecting my partners to turn up anytime.
6. After 45 minutes we finally collared a waitress and asked where the rest of our order was. She looked shocked and ran off to find out.
7. The waiter that took our order came back and apologised. And tried to sort out what had happened. We had to be somewhere else and had to leave.
It was very disappointing. Not only poor quality food, but the staff were too focussed on enjoying their private event at the back than providing the service they were being paid for.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Very likely they were paying attention to the bar-b-q. As a largely vegan staff it can be very distracting to have scorched pig under one's nose and also the noses of our loyal customers. We have prevailed and the bar-b-q has now been moved. So perhaps we may see you again.

• Opalfruit Opalfruit

Definitely El Piano, we've avoided going there since our first experience of the place. If your neighbour was having a barbecue then the waiting staff that originally greeted us were paying more attention to that than their customers.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

We are really puzzled by this review, a similar one appeared on TripAdvisor and we asked that it be checked...you see... we don't have a bar-b-q, although the neighbouring bar does and so we wondered if the reviewer was confusing our place with theirs...hmmmmm.

sarateresa
sarateresa

my favourite Yorkshire restaurant!

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2010

El Piano is such a lovely, homey place... every time I go back I love it. Being vegan the menu is so easy, I can order anything! The tapas fleet is the way to go, 6 tapas choices for £20, including the starters. I love the corn basket and the hummus, the dhal is AMAZING and you can't go wrong with any of the vegetable dishes. The pots of tea are really nice, their coffee is served "cowboy style" with a strainer and their desserts are really exceptional. I had the best carrot cake of my life at El Piano. If you're in York, you can't go wrong. I live in Leeds but any excuse I can find to make the trip, I will use it. The staff are super friendly and they really, truly have their hearts in the right place. Go to their website and read about their employment practices and environmental policies. Warms your heart. Love El Piano!!

Pros: healthy food, excellent service
Cons: not the cheapest out there
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for your review... since you wrote the FLEETS and the ARMADAS have gone and now we have SQUARE MEALS launching in March 2012, literally SQUARE... we hoped to see you and hear what you think...

SallyP
SallyP

funky little place in York

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2010

This place is vegan so well worth a visit if you're in York. The cuisine is tapas but with dishes from all over. There is plenty of choice. We were a party of 3 so started with a soup each (which was really tasty) followed by a 'fleet'. A 'fleet' is a selection of 6 of the tapas dishes. This worked out really well for us as there was plenty of choice but we weren't over-faced. The soup cost £4.50 each and the float was £19.50. The service was good to say they were so very busy. And the staff are informative, helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, as they are so popular, they do have to turn people away. But please don't let that put you off. York isn't so big that you can't shop a bit longer in the area and try again....

Pros: all vegan, great selection, whole food
Cons: can be busy
veganini
veganini

Quaint, cosy, delightful

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2008

Went here with two omnivorous friends and we all loved this place. We went for the larger meals, rather than the tapas style, though we all tasted each others. Everything was vegan and really tasty and came in little bamboo 'boats' instead of ordinary plates/bowls. The portions were a little on the small side, though that suited my very filling paella! Rather than being a downside though, that left room for the others to choose from the great range on the desserts menu. The decor helped give a cosy, friendly feeling. It can seem a little cramped but, again, that adds to the friendly feel of the place. Great prices - 3 main dishes, 2 desserts and 4 soft drinks (tea+coffee) = £33 (£11 each).
Definitely going here again next time I'm in York.

Pros: great range of dishes, lovely atmosphere, really nice staff
natz
natz

Fab food!

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2008

We went here for lunch on Sat 24 May 08 after reading the reviews. It was so good we went back for dinner in the evening and my boyfriend had a piece of cake to take away in the afternoon! Fully vegan and gluten-free, also sells alcohol and soft drinks and some take away food. For lunch we had a selection of 6 main meal tapas dishes (as recommended on the menu) and that was plenty for two without starters. Particularly gorgeous was the sweet potato mousse and the Aztec tofu. Great range of vegan desserts including carrot cake, choc brownie and sticky toffee pudding. I asked for rice custard with mine and it was brought at no extra charge so we left a good tip. Highly recommended.

Pros: staff, excellent food, great value
Cons: tiny tables as it's a small place
smartheidi
smartheidi

El Piano

3 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2008

We went to this restaurant on a Friday evening. The ambience is very nice and staff are lovely, but the food was average. You buy portions of various dishes (which i usually love) but nothing really stood out as being very tasty. They were all quite palatable but many dishes were dry and lacking in flavour. To get a good variety it works out quite expensive.

Dear Owner and Manager of El Piano - York: