El Piano - Centro

Takeaway and dine-in shop providing 100% vegan and gluten-free food, served in biodegradable pine boats; fleets and armadas are also available. Guests can eat standing at the bar and help themselves to free herbal infusions. Also offers cooking classes and El Piano recipe cookbooks. This is the 2nd El Piano outlet; other locations in Malaga and York, UK. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Spanish, Mediterranean, Western, Fast food, Catering, Take-out
c/Gran Capitan, 7 bajo (opposite medical centre)
Granada, Spain 18002
+34-646018110

-Open Mon-Sat 11am-4pm, 7-11pm, Sun 12-5pm, 8-11pm.

First Review by gr8vegan
languageguru
languageguru

Nothing to write home about

2 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

Same as what has already been said. Small portions. Expensive for what you get. Not freshly made - microwave heating. Food tasted good, but nothing to write home about. Very friendly waitress. Nice ambiance although there was only one other table with people.

Pros: Friendly staff, nice ambiance
Cons: expensive, microwave heating, small protions
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

How long is a piece of string...if you ordered our least expensive option of two savoury dishes for 2.95 euros and have a big appetite it will not have been enough. But if you ordered the MEAL DEAL at under 10 euros of starter, mains (4 savoury options), dessert and a drink it will have been better value and (again depending on your appetite) likely sufficed. We are VERY grateful in EL PIANO in Spain to still be trading. I don't know how long you spent in Spain or if you spoke to local people, but the common refrain "the country is a ruin" is on most people's lips these days. We survive while all around us are collapsing because we are EXTREMELY lucky to have a quality product at a good price and a SUPREMELY loyal customer base. What you should write home about is how hard it is for ordinary people in Spain, especially in the south of Spain, to survive an economic crisis that is not of their making. As for the microwaving it is out there for all to see in plain view not hidden as in most kitchens. You are MORE than welcome to have your food cold, or ask for those dishes that are still cooking in the kitchen.

Vegjules
Vegjules

Fast vegan food

3 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

Everyone has said pretty much everything about this place and I totally agree with most of the comments. It's a place for a quick meal, don't expect nothing spectacular but it's not bad either! The only thing I really disliked in this restaurant is that when I asked to go to the toilet they sent me to the primary health center on the other side of the street?!?!! Really??? I though you couldn't open a restaurant without a toilet!!! There is not even a place to wash your hands!!! Not cool at all!!! So I think that as a take away this place can be ok, not as a restaurant!!

Pros: Vegan food with many options, Affordable, good price, Other activities like cooking lessons
Cons: No toilet!!!, Microwave heating of food
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

EL PIANO is a shop, not a restaurant, and makes no claim to be otherwise. We offer take-away food at take-away prices PLUS we have tables to accommodate people who wish to eat in AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. Hence you can eat a full vegan and gluten-free meal in EL PIANO GRANADA of starter, mains (4 savoury dishes), dessert and a drink all for under 10 euros. Toilet facilities are available to the public in the 24 hour medical centre exactly opposite and in since December 2013 there has been a toilet available on site. Thanks for providing the opportunity to make this more widely known.

AgaTrzak
AgaTrzak

Not traditional dining, good for lunch.

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

The atmosphere was pleasant and there was even a piano player present :) After reading all the excellent reviews I have to admit my expectations were not met here. Perhaps this was because of my lacking Spanish skills, but the ordering system was a bit confusing. You pick four dishes, all of which you can see in a refrigerator in front of you. They then are reheated in a microwave, or served cold. Thus the food did not taste fresh and the desert (lemon cheese cake) had curry scent in it from standing together with the other dishes in the fridge. Perhaps when you chose a desert ask when it was made to make sure it's fresh enough. The food was nevertheless tasty, although for dinner not filling enough. I would definitely recommend it for lunch and they offer take away! I don't want to sound to harsh as I did enjoy going to el piano! All the paper is recycled and their green policies are amazing! After leaving Granada for Malaga I went to the el piano in Malaga and knowing what to expect I found it very enjoyable!

Pros: Vegan, Gluten Free, Maximally environmentally friendly, super relaxed atmosphere
Cons: food is not always fresh
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

It's hard to beat a full meal, all vegan, all gluten-free, much organic and locally sourced, of a starter, four savoury mains, a dessert and a drink for under 10 euros...and all made on site. I think you mean that the food is not cooked to order because of course it is fresh, made and displayed daily. Not speaking the language can be a drawback when ordering in any establishment...but seeing all the options is usually helpful and the pointy finger generally works well! Your review while not wanting 'to sound harsh' does sound harsh and is not a fair description of what is on offer: amazing food at an incredible price.

magnificent70s
magnificent70s

music for my stomach

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

I LOVED this places. I got the menu del día economica, which consisted of a soup, a pine boat filled with my choice of four portions of entrees from the cold case, and a beverage. I chose the gazpacho, tofu stir-fry, cous-cous with raisins, marinated mushrooms, and ratatoullie. the service was very amiable and attentive, and they had literature on the tables explaining the restaurant's mission. I felt at home in the casual, bohemian atmosphere, and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch.

Pros: affordable, quick, delicious
Cons: nothing fancy, premade food (not necessarily a con!), bottled water
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

So glad you loved EL PIANO. We all seem to love working there and it is always pleasing to hear that people enjoy the food and the atmosphere. Thank you for taking time to write about us and for being so positive.

lizipfe
lizipfe

Not a place I'd revisit

2 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2013

I was so excited to visit this place but was let down by a number of things, firstly the place had no atmosphere it was early by Spanish standards (8pm) but we were still the only ones in there, the waitress although nice lacked warmth and was the only one in the restaurant. The food looked delicious and both I and my friend opted for 4 different options for just under 6 euros each, then the most disappointing thing happened the food was heated up in a microwave, I understand the convenience of having the food precooked then heated up, many restaurants do it, but it's hardly promoting an eco friendly life style I brought this up with the waitress who fully agreed with me but didn't say much else. The food itself was nice but nothing to write home about, the dessert (lemon and ginger cake) was very dry and there was no cream (soy or regular) available to put on it. I am surprised at all the positive reviews, the place has so much potential but seems to lack the love and care that it deserves.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for taking the time to review EL PIANO GRANADA. We are pleased you liked the food (although disappointed we do not offer cream). As a wholly vegan eaterie we have no dairy products and as a wholly gluten-free eaterie we make everything on site to avoid cross contamination, all the sauces, the mayos and yes, even the noodles! Soya cream is a highly processed food bought in from factories and we do not have the means to manufacture it on site.

It's a shame you did not enjoy your visit. It is true that 8pm is early for dining in Granada (the pianist comes at about 9.30pm!) and you seemed disappointed that the waitress was not as chatty as you would have liked. We do our best to welcome people in many languages and to explain the food and ingredients as well, but when English is not your first language being chatty in it can pose a challenge.

Your main concern seems to be the microwave. While you are more than welcome to eat ALL of our food cold, microwaving is nonetheless one of the ways in which food can be served hot in EL PIANO. In Spain, where the utility costs are the highest in Europe microwaves are VERY eco-friendly as power consumption is much less than using any other heating method.

But I think you are perhaps believing in the intrinsic badness of microwave technology which has long been understood by some of us to be harmful and health averse. Actually there is considerable research on the topic and it is by no means as cut and dry as we may think. We have opened the subject anew in our EL PIANO MAGAZINE, coming out in September 2013 and invite you to have a look and see what you think when presented with the science. The MAGAZINE is available free in the EL PIANOs and will also be accessible on-line via our website.

tancym
tancym

• raw

Nice to find a vegan place

3 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2013

More than a dozen dishes to choose from, foods tasty good. Larger portions & less salt will be better. All of us chose the largest plate with choice of 4 dishes. We're still quite hungry when we finished our food. The portion offers is like a starter for us. Anyway the service is friendly, nice setting.

Pros: all vegan, all organic
Cons: small portions, no toilet
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Oh dear. Bless you guys...obviously VERY hungry people...

We wonder if you were still hungry half an hour later? Some people find that once the meal makes it's way into the system the food really lingers and powers them through the day...

If you are highly active (off for a day's climbing in Monachil for example) you could probably do with an extra small boat of rice...or go for the MEAL DEAL which gives you soup, then the boat of four options, then the dessert and of course a drink, altogether under a 10 euros...

kylavegan
kylavegan

Amazing, delicious vegan and gluten-free!

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2013

We stopped at El Piano in May 2013 during a trip to Granada. We went for lunch and now I wish we had also gone for dinner the night before. It was unbelievable. The variety, flavors and quality was outstanding. We took two take-away "boats" - filled with curried plantains, falafel, lentils, rice, broccoli pasta salad, etc. etc. and had the brownie and lemon ginger cake for dessert. Everything was vegan and gluten free - healthy, rich and flavorful. It was all quite affordable for the portions - I think we paid 16 Euro or so for the boats and desserts, lasting two for lunch, my dinner and even a little leftover for a snack the next day. The staff was incredibly knowledgeable and friendly and the inside space was very cute - selling homemade chutneys and salsas (oh were my suitcase bigger!). El Piano is hands-down a must stop if you are in Granada. Oh, and it seems they are really into local, sustainable living. Our to-go forks were not plastic, no plastic bags - it was all decompostable.

Pros: Delicious, high-quality, Wide variety, Gluten-free options galore
Cons: No big outside seating
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

So glad you liked the wholly vegan and wholly gluten-free fare of EL PIANO. Thanks for writing about us so positively. It was fun to hear that you made the food go a long way...

We try to use local produce wherever we can. The growing season in Granada is about 6-8 months and we do well on local organic and fresh produce during those months. The winter is a little more difficult...hence all the home-bottled stuff from our organic farm.

No outdoor seating, you are right, but you may sit on the porch which is sheltered (and smoke...) and of course in EL PIANO in York and EL PIANO in Málaga there is outdoor seating all year round (although not always usable in the dreary wet winters of York!)

earthville
earthville

Winner! Great taste, great value, great business

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

We rarely find a restaurant for which 5 cows doesn't seem a high enough rating, but El Piano is one of them. We were quite impressed with the quality of the food, with the good service, with the ecological practices, and with the overall value. It's rather amazing that they offer so much great food at such reasonable prices. If i lived in Granada i would be a devoted regular at El Piano.

Favorites: plantain curry, gazpacho (one of the best we've had), mushroom dishes, vegetable tart, fresh juices.

Centrally located between the University and the Cathedral, and easy to find.

Enjoy!

Pros: great flavors, very reasonable prices, very eco-friendly
Cons: none
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks Guys! What a lovely whole-hearted review! FIVE COWS is just GREAT! We appreciate it.

We are lucky to have many devoted regulars. Without them we would not be able to claw our way through this seemingly interminable recession in Spain. They, and our landlord, are our backbone and we are as devoted to them as they are to us I think.

Glad you liked the banana curry, EVERSO easy to make at home...fry the holy trinity of ginger, garlic and onions, add the curry powder and sliced bananas. Then coconut milk, salt and fresh chopped coriander... Always good EVERY TIME!

Enjoy to you too!

islandveg
islandveg

Great food

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2013

Just ate there today. Very easy to find. We had the 4 items for E 9.75 (soup, entree (choice of 4), juice or water, and dessert). Delicious and friendly service with wifi.

Pros: Tasty, Friendly service, Wifi
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

We always appreciate people taking time to write about us. Thank you. We are so glad you enjoyed it and we look forward to serving you on another occasion, if not in Granada, perhaps in York or Málaga.

FluffySheep
FluffySheep

Friendly, cosy

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2013

El piano serves good, interesting all vegan food for a very reasonable price. If you're going for a full meal, for your main course you get to pick four items from the full range of dishes. You can see the food before you select it and the gentleman behind the counter was very helpful and explained what everything was.

El piano actually has a piano. Not an electrically amplified contraption but a REAL piano. We stayed a long time, because there was a gentleman playing the piano. He's very good! We were told he comes in regularly, but he's not part of the staff so he may not always be there.

Pros: Very tasty, Piano
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

George Harvey Smith is a GREAT pianist and we are SO LUCKY to have him play regularly. George is a professional musician and played for many years with the Liverpool Philharmonic as well as with the BBC...

We seem to be a bit of a pit stop in Granada for musicians and many pianists who are here to give concerts come in the mornings to practice...It's quite something to be frying off falafels to the sound of Bach being played by Paris foremost pianist which happened all last summer...not something most cooks get to enjoy whilst at work...

The piano itself even when not being played is worth a visit for those interested in such things. It is probably more than 100 years old (has the little candlesticks so you can read music in the dark) and it is claimed that Federico García Lorca was a regular player of it...but then as he played all over Granada it's probably true that our piano featured among the many pianos he played...

Thanks for taking time to write about us - perhaps you will visit our other pianos, a baby grand in York and a very old mini-harmonium, usually in Malaga but currently being repaired...

ShobhanaSingh
ShobhanaSingh

A Little Haven in Granada

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

My mother is vegan and I'm vegetarian. We drove her to Granada especially to eat at El Piano. We found it with surprising ease on Calle El Capitan.

We had the complete meal, a barco with a choice of 4 foods (the selection included dhals, different types of potato dishes, courgette dishes, curries, lentil burgers and so on), the soup of the day, a drink and a dessert all for €9. I thought this was very reasonable. I tried the chocolate brownie for pud, it did not taste like restaurant brownies, there was something different about the taste but I loved it because it was not so sickly sweet. My mother had the lemon and ginger tart, which was a bit like a solid mousse. It tasted very good.

I had my 3 yr old son with me who ate nearly all his food quite happily. It was a peaceful, rustic little cafe and the lady there who I assume runs it was lovely and friendly. My mum really enjoyed the surroundings and the food, especially as it was very different to what she would normally have.

Please note there are no toilets in the shop, but you can go to the building directly opposite which has public facilities.

Pros: Tasty food, Good price, Eco-friendly
Cons: No toilets
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

What a lovely and well thought through review. Thank you. We make the brownies with buckwheat flour (gluten-free) which may be why they tasted different to what you are used to...and yes, less sweet.

We are fortunate that the toilets across the street in the medical centre are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year...but we LONG to have our own. We are in conversation about it and EVENTUALLY I am sure we will be allowed to build them on site.

Markus_jahl
Markus_jahl

perfekt ;-)

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

Toll ist der arabische einschlag in den Gerichten. Man bekommt fur 9,95€ eine von zwei Tagessuppen, ein Schiffchen mit 4 versch. Gerichten die man aus ca 12 versch. Auswählen kann. Salate, normale Gerichte, burger und paniertes. Dazu ein Wasser und einen Kuchen zum Nachtisch. Alles frisch und geschmacklich eine Explosion im Mund ;-))

Pros: fresh , Glut-free, vegan
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Vielen dank für Ihre Worten über EL PIANO...Es freut uns sehr das Sie haben unser Essen gut gefunden. Jeden Tag kochen Wir 18 - 27 versch. von Arabia, Frankreich, India etc. etc. Immer noch haben Wir kein versch. aus Deutschland oder Osterreich...! Wenn Sie wollen uns etwas senden machen Wir auch einer Deutscher versch.!

Kimxula
Kimxula

A refreshing change from tapas :-)

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2012

I've been to El Piano Granada twice and both times have been very positive experiences.

The staff are very friendly and helpful - the first time I went one of the waiters explained to me how the plastic bag he had given me to put my purchases in (they sell various vegetarian products) was in fact recycled from potatoes. Super eco friendly. The food is great and a welcome change from the standard tapas suitable for vegetarians (patatas bravas, tortilla, salmorejo etc...the usual stuff you find in every Spanish bar). Really wholesome, tasty, good food. Great value for money.Even my meat-eating ex boyfriend loved it and raved about it afterwards. :-)

However, I went there last month and there was a note in the window saying that the Granada branch was closing down at the end of October! I see reviews on here from this month....so has this changed?

Pros: Yummy food, Good variety, Friendly staff
Cons: It might be closing down!
  • Kimxula Kimxula

Thank you for the reply! I'm glad it hasn't closed down and I will continue to support El Piano as long as I'm in Spain. I'd choose it over free tapas any day.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Hi there, yes we are still in Granada! Our customers were so concerned we might close they came up with a loyalty card scheme...then we discussed it with the landlord and he too was really supportive so on we go until we can go on no more. Granada is difficult for EL PIANO to trade in for a number of reasons and one is the idea of 'free' food and people's expectations that they can go places and eat for 'free'. Granada is the last city in Spain where tapas is served with a drink. However, food is not free. Ever. At EL PIANO we strive to provide quality local foods at an affordable price that is fair to growers, to the staff who serve it and the customers who eat it. We share our knowledge freely with free workshops, charlas and events but, the truth is every onion counts...and you have pulled it from the ground yourself, you know it...

vegancharlie
vegancharlie

honest, humble & homely

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

i'd describe this place as honest, humble & homely. the 3 h's.
my man & i tried to find this place on our 1st night in granada but got a bit lost & assumed it had closed. however, i didnt give up & the next night we tried again & thankfully found it!
we both really enjoyed the food & the gentle vibe. i had the pumpkin soup which was delicious, a large sized 'boat' with 'poor potatoes' which was so tasty & simple, a fresh tabouli type salad, indian flavoured fritters w/ a tomato salsa & a banana curry & it was all really yummy, home-cooked & healthy + a drink for €7.95. it's exactly what i needed after trying my luck at tapas... not exactly vegan friendly.
if you're after some tasty vegan food thats fairly cheap then definitely visit this cafe/restaurant. the guy working there was really kind & explained how everything worked & the history behind some of the dishes. it was a pleasure eating here.

Pros: friendly staff, nice & quiet vibe, tasty!
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for your kind remarks. Glad you liked the food, that you found us and that Karim was so helpful. He is very knowledgeable and yes, really kind. Your description of the dishes is actually making me hungry! Come again soon!

Toriay
Toriay

Best place ever

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2012

On of the best things in Granada. It's just an eatery, no ambience or anything but the food more than makes up for it. Compared to Granada prices it's a bit expensive...but compared to the rest of the world that's still pretty good value. The food is so tasty, good for dinner, lucnh, hangover cure, anything. Even loads of my "carnivorous" friends love it!

Pros: FOOD
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Every once in a while we get a review like this, where someone has recognised that most of their money is going into the food. Fresh, organic, local food is not cheap, nor should it be. We live on a farm and we know very well how much sweat goes into every tomato, fresh or dried...so thanks for seeing that you are paying for what you eat and not for lots of frilly extras. Frilly extras are really great some of the time but good quality reasonably priced food is what we need all of time...

Greysocialist
Greysocialist

An eating oasis

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

What a great place! There are now lots of tables and it's a great place for food, drink, coffee, vegan desserts, etc. My partner and I struggled to finish our 'economico' - our choice of four dishes from hot and cold selections, all combining flavours perfectly, plus a soup and a juice, all for less than 8 euros. Definitely worth a detour! It's very close to parts of the university, and only a short walk down the hill from the Trionfo Gardens.

Pros: flavour combinations, freshness of the food, friendly staff
Cons: are there any toilets?
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for your review...so glad that you found it good value. Please come again soon.

chrdold
chrdold

nice and good prices

3 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2012

I had a menu there. It contained four little dishes served in a pine boat, gazpacho, bread and water. I was pretty happy with the taste and the price but it was not as special as I have experienced in other vegan restaurants.
The woman who served me was very friendly.
I heard from a local vegan that food used to be better.

Pros: good taste, price, friendly staff
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

The price as you say is outstanding. When you came it was under 5 euros for the basic meal...it's 6 now...our aim is fast, flavourful, friendly and affordable meals...all vegan and all gluten-free...we hope that vegans, local or otherwise, will continue to support us in putting out over 18 dishes a day to choose from...so glad that you did...

Hanna Louise
Hanna Louise

one more reason I love Granada

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

This is my favorite place to eat in Granada--they have by far the most choice for vegans, and even have a good selection of vegan desserts. Lots of interesting world fusion flavors, and good ecological wine.

Pros: loads of options, excellent food, inexpensive
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks. It's great to appreciated. We have a lot of free cook workshops over the year. If you want to extend your range of vegan cakes at home, come by and try one out...

Tara HD
Tara HD

Good cake

3 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

We only ate cake there and avoided the rest of the food because of our experience at El Piano in Malaga. Maybe the cook is better here but the food looked exactly the same (see my review for El Piano in Malaga for details).
Anyway, the cake was good.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

It's great that you found the food to be similar...we aim to ensure that all our regular diners, whichever El Piano they choose, can be assured of great vegan AND gluten-free options. Your review of Malaga was very pleasant so we assume the same of your Granada experience and thank you for your time in writing about us.

psiphi75
psiphi75

Good cheap organic vegan meal

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2011

great staple vegan organic food, and cheap considering it's organic. Pick and mix from a selection of dishes, you chose, they will serve for you. Some of the selections looked a little old, but not so sure about that. Great to have an all vegan selection, including various deserts. Also have a selection of vegan and organic wines to take away. Spoke English first time we went in, but not second time. Make coffees.

Pros: Speak English, Relatively cheap
Cons: Not a lot of seating
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for your review... Regrettably not everything we serve IS wholly organic, just so you know. The staples almost all are, rice, beans, flours etc. It is the fresh things that are harder to source as organic all year round. In Granada we have our own producers and so in the summer we are well supplied, El Piano in Malaga is new so we are building contacts ... We make every effort and locally sourced foods are also big on our agenda. We look forward to the day when everything we use is BOTH organic and locally sourced and still be able to sell at an affordable price...

Nathan
Nathan

Great place!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2011

Ate here in April 2011. Came across it accidentally on a SUNDAY and was very pleased to find out that it was open!

Between my friend and I we tried quite a few things and everything was AWESOME. Nice little place with a cozy atmosphere. A few stools for sitting but only a few.

Enjoy!

Pros: Plenty of choice, Well priced, Open Sundays
Cons: Little seating
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Sundays we are now closing as of March 15, 2012... but our daily openings have been extended to 11pm... we also have more seating you will be pleased to hear! Thank you for your review and we look forward to showing you the improvements next time you are in.

+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

extra !

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2011

we love, good and cheap
open daily monday to friday 11 at 23 but saturday 13 to 21 and sunday 13 to ... I'm not sure I think it's 16.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for your review... Our hours have changed which is why it might be confusing... Now we are open daily Mondays to Saturdays, 11am - 4pm and then again 7pm until 11pm. We are closed now in Granada on Sundays and in Malaga on Mondays.

Purple Claire
Purple Claire

An awesome find :o)

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

This cafe is a fantastic place, and a much welcome find in 'not particularly vegan-friendly'Spain! The staff were friendy and accommodating and there was a wide variety of dishes - all delicious, plus cakes - an added bonus! I could literally rave for several minutes but won't. Suffice to say, if I lived in Granada I think I'd want to move in upsatirs! If you're in Granada, seek it out - it can't fail to disappoint.

Pros: friendly staff, wide range of food, delicious food
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Wow...'it can't fail to disappoint'. What a lovely remark. So elegant. Thank you so much! Do seek us out in Malaga if you can and see what you think of it there...

olgucz
olgucz

great variety of vegan foods

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

El Piano Gran Capitan was our last-minute dinner decision. Since the one in closer to the old city was closed, we drove all the way to this one.
Upon entering we were greeted by a lovely Spanish lady, who explained their concept and food options in brief. To our surprise the guy behind the counter spoke fluent English, so we had no problems communicating.
The food was delicious, my boyfriend even got the second boat! I especially loved the noodle-broccoli-banana salad.
The carrot cake and the date cake were very rich and satisfying.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, good English spoken
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thank you for your kind words!The food is both vegan AND gluten-free so we are always thrilled when people are so complimentary...

hitesh
hitesh

Delicious

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2010

Simply delicious, varied and cheap food. It is a mix of spanish and world cuisine adapted for vegetarians.
Perfect location, just outside the Monasterio de los Jeronimos, a major sight in Granada.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for the kind words and also for the mention of San Jeronimo to help people find us. We are on a major road, but as we are across town (10 minutes walk) from the Plaza Nueva at the base of the Alhambra some people often don't get past Plaza Nueva...

baji_77
baji_77

• raw

LOVE THIS PLACE!

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2010

We've already eaten here several times and I still can't believe that we are eating at a vegan restaurant in Spain that is also eco-conscious with organic food. These are two concepts that just don't really exist here. Great prices and selection of takeaway/fast food. Love the wooden boats and utensils, the free tea after your meal,the small grocery section where we buy some of our groceries, and the specialty brands of products that they have. Since we are mostly raw/vegan, it is a great place for us to eat and not feel sick to our stomachs. I would only ask if they could get a few barstools and add soem raw dishes and salads.

Pros: vegan food, organic, good price
Cons: no seating, not enough salads
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Well we took your advice and we got the bar stools. We always have salads although fewer in winter than in the warmer months. This winter of 2011/2012 we did try and put out a few more salads, even in the freezing temperatures and you are right... people did order them! As the months progress toward summer there will be more raw food...

nclarken
nclarken

A bit good

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

After traveling through Spain for a while this place was a very welcome find. The Cuatro Platos, any four dishes from a buffet, served in darling wooden boats, was extremely good value at 4eur and the variety and quality of the food was fantastic. On top of this the owners and staff were brilliant, happy to speak in English or Spanish, and wonderfully friendly. One of my favourite vegan places I have visited.

Pros: Cheap, Bilingual, Sunny disposition
Cons: No tables
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

We regret that it has taken us so LONG to respond to these reviews from earlier years... many of them sent people our way and in these difficult times every sale matters... thank you so much for your endorsement... prices have risen I fear, but the same smiling faces speaking in many tongues endure...

fmortel
fmortel

Excellent

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2009

We went here during our recent visit to Granada. The place is clean, bright and the staff was very friendly. The main courses (the things to choose from to fill your pine boats) were all very good. We each got a desert, the deserts were just ok, probably because they try to be a little healthier. Definitely a must when in Granada, plus everything is vegan.

• Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Thanks for taking time to write about us on HAPPY COW. Many of our travelling customers read the HAPPY COW website before setting off and your words will definitely point people our way. We really appreciate it.

vegeater3
vegeater3

Great takeaway food

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

This is a great little place. As well as all being vegan, this place also makes an effort to be environmentally friendly and sources much of its food organically. There is loads of variety, and all has been good. From Monday to Friday there is a menu of the day for €4.50, including main, salad, and dessert. The chocolate brownie and vegan cheesecake are especially good. Have been back again and again.

Pros: chocolate brownie, loads of variety
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

Well you can imagine as it is three years later things have changed... for one, the menu is 6.50 now... the lines of supply for locally grown food are better and all you people who came and came again in the first difficult years can congratulate yourselves on having been instrumental in the opening of El Piano in Malaga in December 2011... come see us there some time if you can...

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

OUTSTANDING! with an emphasis on the standing :)

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2009

This is one of my favorite places in all of Spain. There is a method to it, its not a sit down restaurant. You get these "boats" where you can choose 4 deli selections for only 3 or 4 Euros! The whole place is vegan. The food is amazing! English is spoken. So back to the boats! Everything is very eco, they use these super thin wood boats as plates and select the hot items first and they heat them up in a steam oven then add your cold selections. I had Moroccan Rice & Millet (both oil free) and salsa and carrots. The highlight of my trip was the soymilk cheesecake. It has no oil in it and was probably the best healthy dessert I've ever had. If you want to indulge they have potato salads, a few fried items and other scrumptious desserts! Again 100% Vegan and more choices than you'll know what to do with! We hit it up for lunch and then toured Granada and went back again the same day! That's how good El Piano is! Parking was pretty easy there are metered spots along the street its on, grab the first one you see! Only two small chairs in the place, but you eat standing at the counter and they have free tea!

Pros: healthy selections, cheesecake, low price!
Cons: standing room only
  • Magdalena, owner Magdalena, owner

You were our first reviewer on HAPPY COW of El Piano Granada... We hope that all the good things you liked are still the same. What has changed though is there are more places to sit! Thanks for your support in the beginning. It is much appreciated. Try out El Piano in Malaga if you can. That opened in Dec 2011 and has always had enough seats!

Dear Owner and Manager of El Piano - Centro: