Serves meat, veg options available. This Mexican food restaurant and cantina has a lacto vegetarian section and has tofu. Apr 2014 reported no longer offering brown rice. Vegans need to ask to omit dairy, etc. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Mexican, Take-out, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
5545 Reseda Blvd
Tarzana, California 91356
818-643-3033
Closed now

Mon-Thu 11:00am-11:00pm, Fri 11:00am-2:00am, Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

First Review by pucku
bdbdheybuck
bdbdheybuck

description is inaccurate

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2014

My girlfriend and I, who are both vegan, wanted to try this place, as we were craving Mexican food. However, the vegan options here are really non-existent. There actually is no brown rice available in this restaurant, as it says in the description. They have white rice that is without the usual Mexican chicken stock and seasonings, but on the day that we were there they were out of even this white rice. The (supposedly) vegan beans looked, tasted, and smelled exactly like the regular ones (which apparently have chorizo). We ordered veggie fajitas, which came with broccoli that was obviously drowned in butter. Furthermore, despite explaining that we're vegan, my plate came with a large dollop of sour cream and covered with sprinklings of cheese. The chips that come with salsa at the beginning were cooked in vegetable oil, but apparently the same oil where the meat is cooked (a common problem for vegans at Mexican restaurants). Lastly, and this is the last time I order veggie fajitas at a Mexican restaurant that is not entirely vegan (for the same principle that I never eat Chinese at a non-vegan restaurant), the veggies, despite probably being cooked in vegetable oil, tasted "meaty"... I'm sure meat had been on the same pan... Perhaps this is a good place, but vegans should look elsewhere. The servers were very nice and tried their best, despite the obvious limitations of the kitchen.

pucku
pucku

Great Mexican Food

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

I was actually the one who submitted this restaurant to Happy Cow and they added the place, so that's good.

It's very good food and I love that I can get brown rice and tofu. The service is very good as well.

My only suggestion would be to offer healthier tortilla options when ordering burritos.

Pros: Offers brown rice, Offers tofu, Great service
Cons: No healthy tortilla options

Dear Owner and Manager of El Patron: