Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegetarian options that can be made vegan. The chiles and beans are vegan. Try the spinach enchiladas. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Mexican, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
142 Harvard Dr SE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106
505-268-4245

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Retro Housewife
JackJack
JackJack

Abuse

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

The food is actually pretty good, as are the employees. However the owner is very abusive to his employees. If he happens to be in a bad mood or someone makes a minor mistake, he is verbally and emotionally abusive, screaming at you over the phone. I attribute this to personality and alcoholism. His son, who comes in to work occasionally, drinks on the job and drives away drunk. I am an avid supporter of local businesses, but I will never be a patron of this place knowing that the owner takes advantage of his position of "power" by mistreating his employees who are just trying to make a living.

Pros: friendly and efficient staff, real honey, Good sopapillas
Cons: abusive owner, use hands to serve chips and lettuce
satrn4lulu
satrn4lulu

Delicious!!

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

This was my first visit to Albuquerque and I'm thrilled to have found El Patio! I love spicy flavorful food and this green sauce was AMAZING! I had the blue corn enchiladas. I was in need of a hearty protein meal and there were plenty of beans & potatoes to fill me up and clean up all the extra green sauce. Thanks for the friendly service too! :-) Oh, I had take out since it was getting late and I wanted to enjoy in the peace of my hotel room. Unlike what many have said - they do accept credit cards. :-)

Pros: tasty food, quick service, vegan options
RachMcH
RachMcH

Love it

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

El Patio is one of my fav restaurants in ABQ. Not the hottest chile in town, but great flavor. Great vegetarian adaptations of NM classics.

Pros: Staff, Food
Cons: Can get crowded, as its not big.

jolee81
jolee81

Love it!

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2012

I love El Patio! Not only is rare to find New Mexican chili in a restaurant that has no meat products in it, but it's also some of the best NM food in town. I love taking visitors there who have only been to Sadie's or the other tourist traps. They all say El Patio is so much better! Great vegan options, and I have been told on multiple occasions that the sopapillas are vegan, so maybe the other reviewer just got a new waiter that day. They also accept Credit Cards now.

Pros: Good food, hole in the wall atmosphere, live guitar some evening
vivaluv
vivaluv

The Best in Albuquerque!

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2012

I first went to El Patio when I was visiting here trying to decide to move. It was my first experience of New Mexican food and I was sold. The burrito with green and red chile sauce is amazingly good, but definitely not for someone who doesn't like spice. I'd recommend this place to anyone. My Husband gets the stuffed sopapilla with red sauce and loves it. Now that
we live here we try to eat here about twice a month.

*Update - they take credit/debit cards now!
Updated from previous review on Monday May 03, 2010

Pros: Great Chile Sauce, Live Music, Good Value
Cons: Small , Crowded
nmnative
nmnative
  • non-vegetarian

Mediocre food in a dishonest atmosphere!

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

EL Patio has Mediocre New Mexican food and they only take cash! Cash only isn't posted anywhere. At the end of the meal you are told to use the fee charging ATM in the back of the restaurant. ONE WORD! SCAM! My food was overcooked, the cheese was hard, like it had been microwaved to long. I will not be returning.

Pros: Location, clean bathroom, patio
Cons: bad service, cash only, mediocre food
Sprout
Sprout

Great food but no vegan sopapillas(?)

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

I was excited to try the vegan sopapillas that everyone here raved about, but our waitress told us that they are not vegan. So I ordered a veggie combo and the bean taco and avocado burrito were the superstars of this platter. Nice outdoor patio. Overall a good experience

Pros: bean taco, avocado burrito, patio
Cons: are sopapillas vegan?
pappabell
pappabell
  • non-vegetarian

Fantastic

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2009

By far,One of the best places to eat in Albuquerque.Wonderful tasteing food,YOU WILL WANT TO GO BACK!!!!!

Pros: Every thing is good
Laurie K
Laurie K

Very New Mexican

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2008

I love this place. About half the menu is vegetarian with some vegan options. The green chili rocks- if you are not used to some heat, get it on the side. The Vegetarian Burrito with avocado is my favorite, much lighter than the other dishes. This is a local favorite with it's own unique atmoshere.

Pros: great food, good value, genuine New Mexican
maulydaft
maulydaft

good meal

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2008

Had a decent vegan meal here. Felt really healthy since there was no dairy. Sopapillos were really good - warm and light.

tattooed
tattooed

Killer New Mexican Food!

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2008

As a native New Mexican, there are few places I recommend as the real deal. For over 15 years El Patio is one of them and absolutely the most veg-friendly restaurant in ABQ for NM cuisine. My carnivorous friends love it too! The place is a landmark and always busy due to their consistently good food.

Pros: Delicious meatless Red a Green chile, Consistent, Mexican beer!
Retro Housewife
Retro Housewife

Vegan al Fresco

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2007

Great food, great patio, wonderful vegan options. Their chile sauces are amazing as is there house made salsa and sopapillas. Delicious!

Dear Owner and Manager of El Patio: