El Paraiso Bio Leben

Two establishments, facing each other. One is open for lunch only. The other is a soda shop/juice bar/ice cream parlour that is also open at night. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Juice bar
Alcanfores 453-416, Miraflores (Tarata, half block from Schell)
Lima, Peru

First Review by Pernilleskokken
VeganVegasGirl
VeganVegasGirl

Great Juices, Lovingly Made!

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2014

We only had a juice here, but loved the service. She made too much and was nice enough to bring it to us to drink (rather than throw it out) free of charge!
Cute place! Small, but has a patio.

Stevie
Stevie

El Paraiso Bio Leben, Lima

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

I had lunch here yesterday in the restaurant. Its all geared for lunch with a menu that lists what the set menu is for each day of the week. It looks like they get less business on a Saturday as there was less options listed than there is for other days of the week. Thus the choice for me (since it was Saturday) was either soup or mixed salad to start, a vugo cutlet with veg and rice for a main and a small yoghurt for dessert.

The lady who served me didn't speak any English and my Spanish isn't much better. We seemed to have it figured out though in the cream of veg soup she insisted was vegan as it was made with veg milk from the health food shop across the street. The soup was served with bread and tasted very nice, as did the main course. I skipped the yoghurt since it was non vegan friendly.

Al for 9 soles, this was a bargain.

I then went across the street to check out the health food shop and cafe & take away place. Its small with only 1 table of seating. Almost is everything the sell for immediate eating is either lacto or ovo based, only 1 exception to this I was told by the lady who spoke good English. In talking with her she said that the lady in restaurant had made an error in the soup I had eaten did also contain some milk. I'm sure there was no harm or misleading intended when I was in the restaurant but obviously this is the kind of error I can do without. I would rated this place higher if it wasn't for that as 9 soles was a super bargain price.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Inexpensive
Cons: Beware of staff errors
maynard7
maynard7

My favorite overall in Lima

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2012

This is about the cheapest set vegetarian lunch in the neighborhood, but it ended up being my favorite, if only for the variety you get. The other places got repetitive, but they really seem to try to avoid that here. And, they have a little paper menu on the tables that shows you what the lunches will be for that week so you can plan accordingly. They also have a board outside that shows that day's choices. And... if you walk to the back, there's a glass case where they put models of the meals so you can point to the meal you want if you don't understand Spanish very well. A very convenient location, and near other vegetarian restaurants in this neighborhood. The food was always good here when I went. If you go before 1 p.m. you get several choices for the appetizer and main plate, plus the service will be faster. If you arrive between 130pm and 200pm you probably won't find a table. They were open every day for lunch with the set menu, which is great because other restaurants only offered a la carte on weekends or were closed. There may be come confusion as to the address of this restaurant. The same person owns the restaurant on the west side of the street, and the snack bar place on the east side of Alcanfores Street. You'll see waitresses going back and forth between the two. If the restaurant is closed, just walk across the street to the vegetarian snack bar and you can choose something in the glass case such as vegetarian quiche or empanadas or fruit salad or juices. Also, be sure to order the fruit salad with yogurt. It comes in a brandy snifter glass and tastes great for only a little more than one US dollar. Don't be afraid to eat raw salads at this or the other veggie restaurants in Peru. The people who work there are nearly always vegetarians themselves, and they know the importance of properly disinfecting raw veggies before serving them.

Updated from previous review on Sunday October 28, 2007

Pros: Tastes great, Variety, Cheap
Cons: White rice, Limited number of tables
enRoute
enRoute

decent, lacking something

3 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2011

After having some great food in other nearby spots, I have to say that this place only sort of did it for me. I wanted it to be great, and it has the elements - good location, nice sign, right attitude - but the things I tried were definitely lacking and a bit mushy. OK in a pinch, but with seemingly a dozen places within 10 blocks from here, it wouldn't be my first (or second) choice. Could also be that I didn't arrive on the place's better days...

Pros: super cheap, well-located, good intentions
Cons: bland, blah, not great

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

set lunch menu

3 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2010

During our trip to Peru, we ate the set lunch menu at Bio Leben for only 8 soles each. There are three options each for the starter and entree and while the waiter didn't speak much English, he understood that we were vegan and pointed out the options that we could have or modify. The lunch menu comes with bread and tea as well. We both had the mixed salad as a starter as it was the only vegan option, but for entrees, we shared the lentil & rice dish (avocado replaced for yogurt) and the rice with mixed veggies, grilled onions and olives. Both were simple, but very filling and hit the spot for us. We arrived early and were the first customers, so the small space was not a problem.

Pros: inexpensive set lunch menu, filling
Cons: more veggie than vegan
LovesMeMyVeggies
LovesMeMyVeggies

• non-vegetarian

Pretty good

3 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2010

I've gone a few times for lunch (they close around 4 or 5) and it's generally been pretty tasty. The mixed salad for the appetizer isn't anything special, but the entres are usually tasty. They don't have arroz integral (whole grain rice), and they have a very limited menú that changes every day (like two options to choose from each day). Supposedly they also have a few other choices (like lasagna) but it's not easy to find them. Costs s/8.

babbysmith
babbysmith

• raw

Peruvian experience

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2008

We found this fabulous little oasis near our hotel in Lima Peru. The meal was a wonderful combination of a soup course and main course and a bottle of water. Excellent service, very friendly and VERY helpful owner trying to help with the language barrier. A wonderful experience for our little group of 3.

Pros: Excellent food, healty cuisine, I could eat everything offered
Pernilleskokken
Pernilleskokken

Very small place

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2007

With the large double doors constantly open, it's chilly in the winter! Hot drink warms you up though. Few seats: max 6 people inside and 6 on the outisde patio. Set lunch menu with 3 choices of starter, and mains, plus dessert and drink for 6.50 soles. Today I had solterito de habas and locro con hamburguesas - yummy. A bit slow on serving (food is prepared in another building). You can buy veggie/health products and pies, cakes and gratins from the glasscounter. Seems popular and the counter lady was friendly. Good food. I'll come back.

Pros: Good food, Dessert, Cheap
Cons: Small, Cold place, Slow service
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Pernilleskokken, I found your review pretty helpful and went to this place. Good veggie restaurants are hard to find in Lima!

Dear Owner and Manager of El Paraiso Bio Leben: