Serves meat, veg options available. Mexican food from different regions of Mexico. Offers a separate vegetarian menu which includes tacos, enchiladas, burritos, fajitas, tostadas that can be prepared with tofu, vegetarian chorizo (soyrizo), nopales (cactus), potatoes, vegetarian ceviche, and has vegan cheese and sour cream upon request. Large selection of fresh salsas at the salad bar, including a mango-cucumber salsa fresca. Vegans be sure to specify. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mexican, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
5804 Marconi Ave (Carmichael area)
Sacramento, California 95608
916-487-7742

Open Tue-Wed, Fri, Sun 10am-10pm, Thur 1-10pm, Sat 1pm-1am.

First Review by adrianvette
emmpower
emmpower

El Papagayo will not disappoint!

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

Oh my gaaaahd! I love El Papagayo! The restaurant is absolutely beautiful inside, the furniture is great, there are beautiful murals, the bathroom is even pretty! The woman who I assume is the owner (because she floats around the restaurant like a really helpful and welcoming hummingbird) is so nice!

The vegetarian menu has so much variety and is easy to veganize. There is no confusion about veganizing things either, they totally get it and I don't feel like I'm a hassle when I order here :] The first time I came, I order a taco plate, which comes with beans and rice, and there was cheese sprinkled on top. I apprehensively stared at my plate and hoped it wasn't dairy cheese because I had clarified when I ordered that I needed my food vegan and I didn't want to offend her by double/triple checking its vegan-ness (but I didn't want to eat dairy cheese either). So I sat for a minute and looked confused I guess and the lovely owner seriously walked right up to me, clapped me on the shoulder, and said "Yes, that's vegan cheese! We know vegans here, we love vegans!" How awesome! I dug right in and the food was delicious! I've been back multiple times since, most recently I got the mushroom enchiladas plate for dinner. With an included side of beans and rice it was my dinner and my lunch :) All the guys I've talked to who work there are really nice and helpful too.

-there are a lot of vegan options here
-they cook with a lot of delicious veggies! this isn't boring, vegan food
-the salsa bar is exactly what you want it to be (oooh is that mango in there? Damn that is good!)
-the staff is friendly and really helpful
-you get your money's worth
-They love vegans!!

El Papagayo is my favorite restaurant with vegan food outside of the midtown area, if they were in midtown they would tie for my first place (with Queen Sheba). Take the drive out there, vegans, they're worth it!

Pros: sweethearts, delicious food, lots of veggies
HillaryPerryColey
HillaryPerryColey

Great food and nice place.

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

Wonderful veggie fajitas and enchiladas. Very kid friendly.

Pros: Great Food, Price, Relaxe atmosphere
Beryl
Beryl

Super friendly, they love their vegan customers

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2012

This restaurant is pretty (colorful carved wood table tops, chair backs, picture frames), the food delicious and a great value, the staff super friendly! Just tell them you are vegan and they use vegan cheese and sour cream. Check out the photos :)

Pros: delicious, friendly, pretty
Cons: they also serve meat

TaiRaeVegan
TaiRaeVegan

Amazing service and food

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2012

When I first walked in I was reminded of a traditional mexican joint, they had the soft music playing and the owner greeted us right away and said we had our choice of seats. Service was amazing, the salsa bar was exceptional and right away we saw a separate menu for vegetarians. My boyfriend and I are vegan and my dad is not and the vegetarian menu was easily adaptable to accomodate us. We decided to be naughty and got the chimichanga- out of this world, the flavors were complex and we subbed out guacamole, cheese and sour cream for avacado and a yummy sauce. We also got their ceviche toastada, I had to double check and make sure it was vegan because it tasted so close. My dad who is anti vegan ate some of my chimichanga because the portion was so large and he absolutely loved it. We are from Reno, and the owner thanked us for coming from so far and was very kind. Great food, I was extremely pleased to see a mexican food restaurant so willing to accommodate us veggies. I'll definitely come back whenever I'm heading into Sacramento!

Pros: amazing food, full of flavor, great service, great price
Cons: not open until 11
debaser
debaser

oh yeah.

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2012

This food was fantastic.I had their vegan soyrizo burrito and it was large and in charge. Soo good.

I tried a bit of everything that night. The party I was with tried almost half of their massive vegan menu. Very good food, amazing service, definitely worth popping into. One of my favorites in town now.

Pros: excellent food, family run business, sweet people
stevenology
stevenology

Great for vegan, vegetarian, and even carnivores!

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2012

Loving this place. They truly have something for everyone. Our carnivore friends liked the meat dishes, and us vegans and vegetarians get our own full menu with plenty of tasty and creative dishes. A must-go for vegetarians and vegans and pretty good for carnivores too...

Pros: Great vegetarian and vegan menu also, Good prices, Nice owner
ashwinn
ashwinn

Great

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

Family-run restaurant, they're savvy to the ingredients and can tell you whether something has eggs, gelatin, milk, cheese, etc. A full vegan/vegetarian menu is available.

Pros: Nice people, Home-style food
Cons: Hidden behind a gas station
NC
NC

Great for Vegetarians!

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

We went here for the first time last night and were pleasantly surprised at the extensive vegetarian options available and wonderful fresh salsa bar. We had a soyrizo taco and potato mole enchiladas and both were great. There was a great sear on the soyrizo and we would definitely come back. We can't wait to try the tofu tacos and faux ceviche tostada.

Pros: Extensive Veg Menu, Great Owner service, Delicious fresh salsa bar
Cons: Food is a little salty, Margaritas aren't fresh, Waitress who took order was confused
adrianvette
adrianvette

My first time and looking forward to many more.

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2012

This place is absolutely amazing. We went for the first time last week after seeing the location on Happy Cow. They have separate menus with some vegan dishes, many vegetarian and a separate non-veg menu. They were most helpful explaing the veg items with sincerity. The food was delicious and well prepared. The family run establishment has brought there talents from the resort venues of Mexico and have made truly original dishes. The salsas are self serve and wonderful. The atmosphere is very nice and clean the interior has an open feeling.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: closed Mondays, closed Tuesday

Dear Owner and Manager of El Papagayo: