Tienda y cocina vegetariana. Store and vegetarian restaurant. Price: Inexpensive more-less

First Review by enRoute
maynard7
maynard7

Good food here, except on Saturday

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

I advise you to arrive early, as I got there at 12:30 p.m. to find a packed restaurant! As of January 2014, the lunch of the day costs 9.300 pesos. On the day I went, there was a choice of 2 soups, brown rice, salad, squash stuffed with tofu and veggies, juice, a slice of watermelon and an oatmeal cookie. I thought the food was quite inspired, and the flavors were very good. The service was quick, even though it was very busy. There are lots of downtown workers lunching here for good reason. (The above paragraph is from Sept 2010).

Update January 2014:
I went here on a Saturday and was disappointed. They don't offer the set meal on Saturday, so instead of the good food I had a few years ago, they had little to offer. Everything is a la carte. There is no written menu, so they explain what they have (in Spanish). I had the soup and salad, but the tamales and lasagna are made elsewhere and are in their refrigerator case... they just heat them up. The lasagna hardly had any flavor. Not really worth the 15.700 I paid for everything.... I should have gone to Govinda again. I don't recommend this place on the weekend, but would definitely go again Monday thru Friday when they put forth more effort at providing good food.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 15, 2010

Pros: Excellent flavors, Attention to nutritive value, Food presented nicely
Cons: Gets crowded, Food not good on Saturday
enRoute
enRoute

very nice little place in the heart of downtown

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

Tucked away on Carrera 45, better known as "El Palo," it's right in the middle of the bustling downtown areas and seems like a venerable institution for lunchtime vegetarian trabajadores who fill it every day. Friendly, simple, and clean. I've had several very nice lunches there, including some great touches like their homemade v-chicken and delicious soups. Part of the city's traditional vegetarian side and thus not quite as innovative or flavorful as some other spots, but perfect for a hearty, cheap, enjoyable lunch. Be sure to clearly specify vegan.

Pros: centrally located, cheap, hearty plates, friendly
Cons: a bit hard to find, closes early

Dear Owner and Manager of El Palo: