Sample food might include gluten steak, soy burger with mushrooms, fries, and salad. Large pitchers of fresh juices, soups, Mexican dishes and breakfast. Moved from Ave Las Americas 3023. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Mexican, American

First Review by StephenS
kenvegan
kenvegan

Decent Veg Mexican Food

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

I was in Tijuana for the Vegetarian Cuisine & Arts Festival.

This border city has very few vegan/vegetarian options, but over the past few years, several new veg/veg-friendly restaurants and stores have been added.

El Lugar is one of two vegetarian restaurants in Tijuana, and although both are just vegetarian, they have plenty of vegan options.

The restaurant has been around for years, and I was finally able to try this place for lunch. When I walked in, I first noticed the colorful and lively decor. I didn't think the fake plants in the restaurant were necessary, and that gave the restaurant a bit of a cheaper feel.

The owner of the restaurant was very helpful, and she came over to help us to translate the menu which is in Spanish.

I ended up ordering a fresh glass of orange juice and a gluten and beans dish.

The corn chips that were put on our table were crisp and tasty, but I didn't care for the salsa, which I thought lacked flavor and was merely spicy hot.

The freshly squeezed orange juice was delicious, and obviously had been squeezed to order.
The gluten and beans dish was decent, but certainly doesn't compare to the quality of many other veg restaurants I have been to in other countries. I feel that the sauce on this dish could have had taken little more of a direction and had a stronger flavor.

I haven't had what I feel are many excellent meals during my trips to Tijuana, but if you are searching for a veg option in Tijuana, El Lugar should do the trick for you.

I plan to try this restaurant again in the future to explore other menu items.

Pros: Bright, colorful atmosphere
Guest
Guest

El Lugar vegan experience.

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2013

Really enjoyed this place. I ordered the 'gluten' Carne Asada - which I was assured is vegan. Very tasty. Being someone who hasn't eaten meat in over 25 years, I have no idea how this compares. But - being someone who has eaten hundreds of fake meats in the last 25 years, I could only wonder - 'why can't I get this in California'. Turns out - the reason is - they make their own gluten products. As well as tortillas, guacamole, salsa and beans - all vegan.
Also had a nice fresca (blended fruit smoothie) though there were no vegan dessert options. Really amazing homemade chips & delicious Salsa in 3 shades of spicy. Guacamole was full of huge Avocado chunks - just the way I like it.
Very glad to have found this place (thanks to the Cow) & will go back next time i'm in TJ - as well as recommend it to others. Many veg options & actual choices for vegans. Spent just under $10 U.S. - tipped $3 - because I was so glad to have them there.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 27, 2013

Pros: Homemade Vegan & Veg Items, Well priced, Great Staff & fun atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of El Lugar: