Nice rustic decor, has an English menu and some English spoken. Soups, set plates (4000-6000 pesos), brown rice, desserts. Very few vegan option: 2 vegan salads, 1 vegan plate, 1 vegan dessert. Nearest subway is Pedro de Valdivia. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Middle Eastern, Indian, International
Orrego Luco 54 Providencia (Region Metropolitana)
Santiago, Chile
2-332690

Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:30pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm

First Review by button
Chief Underdog
Chief Underdog

Great place to visit

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2014

It's a nice place, bilingual menu, not specially vegan but vegetarian. Easy to find, near a subway station (Pedro de Valdivia) it has a warm atmosphere, the portions are good in size and they taste great. A little pricey but it is located in a part of the city where every interesting place is pricey. They have a nice wine list and a very professional and capable staff.

Pros: Great food, Good location, Spacious
Cons: Few vegan options, pricey
reneepenney
reneepenney

Few vegan options, but the food is great

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2014

As a vegan, I expected more options from this restaurant, but there was only one main dish. It was excellent however, and very large portions. The atmosphere was nice, and I was able to get by on my elemtentary Spanish.

Pros: Large portions, Healthy options, Warm atmosphere
Cons: A little pricey, Few options for vegans
sianlittle
sianlittle

Best meal in South America!!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

I've been to this place twice and will continue to go whilst in Santiago. The staff are so friendly, the decor is cool- there are even hooks under the table to hang up your bag. But the best thing... The food!! Wow. So healthy and delicious with generous sizes and a huge variety too. During the summer there are often musicians playing music outside adding to the ambiance.

Pros: great food, friendly staff
Cons: could he a bit expensive for some people

kipdooley
kipdooley

AMAZING!

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

I love this restaurant! I come to Chile frequently with work and always look forward to eating here my first evening in Santiago after a long flight. The food is wholesome and tasty. Try the Oriental stir-fry -- it is prepared with great attention to detail. It feels as though love is put into the food at El Huerto -- something you might not experience every day in South America.

Pros: Wholesome, Pleasant Outdoor Seating, Good karma food
Cons: Servers can be standoffish, Drink options not found on menu
Phonique
Phonique

much better than remembered

4 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

been here 2 years ago before I turned fully vegan and didn't remember it as an exciting place.
but today I was really satisfied with my visit. there are even a few fully vegan meals in the menu, where you don't have to ask to get them done without cheese. we had some great starters with some mixed plates with hummus, couscous etc.
my friends enjoyed their mexican vegetarian dish and the vegetarian lasagne, while i had some great vegan mexican main dish. I also had some kind of vegan poppyseed-cheese cake/muffin, which was good.
everything was really good, but not amazing. the service was fast and friendly and the english menu is always a big plus. I was a bit surprised, that they don't offer soymilk (or other non dairy) with their coffee.
I also think they could offer less dishes with cheese in generell.
We went their during lunchtime on a tuesday and it was really packed and I personally think that 10USD for a main dish is not too overprized.

Pros: nice atmosphere, English menu, mainly plant based meals
Cons: few pure vegan options, no soy milk
hexagramtrigram
hexagramtrigram

Rather expensive

2 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2013

I thought it had an atmosphere of vego food being hard to provide and therefore justifying the high expense of eating there. We ate there in 2010 and came back in June 2013 on our return to Chile. It was the standard of what a normal alternative cafe outlet in Australia provides but with somewhat boutique prices.
We sat for 9 minutes at an outside table before even getting the menu; this despite the lady being close by. She was too busy setting out cutlery at other tables to be bothered stopping to hand us the menu; this despite being right next to us. Vegetarian places are not exempt from providing deferential service to customers. The menu seems to have not changed in the intervening years.
Not in itself a bad thing. But the orange juice I ordered was very bitter.
The food I had was central American and only acceptable rather than outstanding
Because not thrilled with the service or the food we were not going to leave a tip.
The waitress delayed our departure by demanding a tip; so we acceded and tipped her. But surely that is the customer's choice and if one does not want to, the staff should examine themselves as to why rather than embarrassing the guests who were paying a considerable sum for basically salad and beans anyway. I wasn't angry or anything- just kind of dissatisfied with the price and the service; and the quality of the food. It was like we should have been honoured to get a meal without dead animals in carnivore-friendly Latin America. No hard feelings but we will not be returning. Try making the customer feel welcome amigos, and pretend to be glad to see us.

Pros: big portions
Cons: Poor service, unfriendly
fletchiekins
fletchiekins

Good not excellent

3 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

This extremely busy (I visited on a Sunday where a lot is closed which may have something to do with it) restaurant in Santiago was good but not outstanding. The food was served promptly (I got my entree with the main) but it was only a nice meal. I was dining alone so I wanted wifi but this wasn`t working which is one of the down points as is the fact that one waitress wiping a table dropped the cloth on the floor, picked it up and continued to wipe the table (I acknowledge that maybe my western hygine standards are too high). The price of the meal was slightly higher than I expected but not too much. I would probably choose another closer vegetarian restaurant next time I`m back in Santiago however if I find myself here on a Sunday then I would return.

Babtakie
Babtakie
  • raw

Splendid!

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

This place is simply amazing, I have been there several times and I am always happily surprised by the quality of the food, do not miss their juices and vitamin waters and lemonades, they're amazing. The prices are a bit higher than your average place and that is because this is truly a fine Vegan, Vegetarian and Raw cuisine, the place is gorgeous, great location and a very big menu.

Pros: Menu options, Quality of the food, Place is large and great location
Cons: A bit Expensive but is worth it
Labd
Labd

March 2013

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2013

Nice place with a good menu. Healthy options but taste can be improved. The entrees cost about 6,000 pesos and the appetizers about 3,500 pesos.

Pros: Nice menu, Healthy options
Cons: Bland food
Aiden Shaw
Aiden Shaw

The patio in the autumn is idyllic

3 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2013

Lots of variety if salads, but lacks flavour. Their home made bread is perfect & the local salsa served with it is addictive. The humus has no garlic so very flat. They use sugar freely. & the only vegan desert is fruit. It gets crowded at peak times. Still it's worth it for the wholesome food.

Pros: staff , patio , clean bathroom
Cons: staff , crowded , bland
beerzuki
beerzuki

Easy to find, English menu with varied choices

4 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

I have been here twice and both times have had the Mexican Style Cerviche, which I absolutely adored,(and it appears to be vegan) and will keep going back for, but I haven't been so fond of my other meals that I had alongside it.

Once I think I had the Valley of the Moon(?)Quinoa salad which was ok, but not 'awesome'. It could be my fault, but this time I thought I was ordering a Chilean Summer Salad with some vegies cooked in a claypot, but it turned out the salad was just basic and the claypot was more of a 'bake' which unfortunately had egg (and maybe milk)in it which I try to avoid. I saw on the website that they use 'range' eggs (hopefully proper free range, not the atrocities that can be legally called 'free range' in Aus and elsewhere), but I will certainly be more vigilant in future.

There is a specific vegan Californian set, but on my English menu this bit was in Spanish for some reason, but I might try that next time. Anyway my waitress spoke excellent English and would have been able to help out with any enquiries if I had only thought to ask...

My 2 dishes cost about $20US plus tip. They were a substantial size and I brought along a lunch box to take some away for later.

The staff were very friendly both times, it is a classy place in a nice area so it is not cheap, but it is nice.

The outdoor seating is beautiful in the warm weather...a romantic candlelit dinner for one!

Pros: Nice Atmosphere, English menu, Mexican Sea Veg Cerviche!
Cons: Vegan choices not clear, Some dishes could use improvement
CatalinaDarvich
CatalinaDarvich

Yum

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2013

The "vegan" options have honey in them sometimes so you gotta tell them to take that out. The hummus was lovely, also the lemonade is great :-) i would go back anytime

Pros: Fresh, Vegan Options, Tasty
Cons: Not Cheap, Have To Pay Attention To The Ingredients If You're
Blacklizard
Blacklizard

Worth seeking out!

4 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2011

This is a very pleasant vegetarian restaurant in Santiago that is worth seeking out. We went there for dinner two days in a row. Nice atmosphere, and friendly staff. We had the Mexican platter and the Indian platter, and both were good, not great. Large number of vegetarian options on the menu.

Pros: Accept credit cards, Open late
alicayer
alicayer

Don't Call Yourself a Veggie Restaurant

2 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2011

The restaurant never has any of the veggie options on the menu. I've tried to go back again and again, but the restaurant is either out of stock or has a new person working in the kitchen. Terrible. Never any vegan or veggie choices.

bobbyarroyo
bobbyarroyo

Meh.

3 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

It's a good restaurant if you're vegetarian -- not so great if you're vegan.

The few vegan options available don't taste so great, but they are nutritious.

Happy hunting! (for veg*n restaurants)!

Pros: Beautiful atmosphere, Friendly service, Healthy
Cons: Vegan food not too tasty

the best food in town

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2010

this was one of the first vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Chile. Very good friendly organic food, cooked with consciousness. The place is very nice, confortable and the menu you just want to eat everything !

Pros: organic, delicious food
Cons: very expensive, slow
Cassadamius
Cassadamius

Don't follow the directions on the map button

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2009

I did not get a chance to eat there because I tried to follow the directions off of the map button, those directions are incorrect. If you want to see where El Huerto is find the metro stop Pedro de Valdivia and zoom in on it, look a few streets to the northeast and you will see the actual street where the restaurant is located. Orrego Luco.

Pretty good actually

4 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2009

I think that this is the best that one is going to do for vegi fare in Santiago. It is fresh, well portioned and well seasoned. The staff is friendly. Inside it feels a little bit like a yoga studio (you know what I mean). Its a little expensive but there is a free bread appitizer with a variety of sauces to begin the meal. We got the mexican burrito platter which satisfying and the medditeranean platter which I think was the better of the two. THe ginger tofu appitzer was good but small. ALthough pricey it is worth it if you are willing to splurge. Make sure to get a bottle of the wine with chili peppers on the label.

Pros: good food
Cons: pricy
kennyp353
kennyp353

Great food, great atmosphere

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2008

I went here three times during my stay in Santiago. Most staff speak English, there is also an English menu available. Fully vegetarian, many vegan options. Soups were always excellent, particularly when accompanied by the house homemade bread and spicy dip. One time I had the chef's surprise three-course meal, and each item in it was great. Another, the Mexican plate - delivered exactly as expected and very filling. Another time, the fusion salad, easily the best salad I had in my travels in South America. Hey, this was easily the best vegetarian restaurant in my travels in South America. Always busy, which speaks volumes, and open until 11pm. Relatively expensive by local standards, but practically-free by Western standards :)

Pros: Quality food, Great atmosphere, Location
Cons: Relatively expensive, Staff sometimes stand-off-ish
diehard
diehard

Came back twice

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2008

We enjoyed our first meal here so much we came back. Great atmosphere, fantastic selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes. The quality was good and the servings were large.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisin, friendly staff
kimmykokonut
kimmykokonut

Delicious, but pricey.

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2008

I had efficient service, except when I wanted to pay. I ate outside and it was pleasant The menu is varied (a lot of pretty salads, not a lot of protein). I ordered the Indian dish and it was smaller than expected for the price, but it was delicious and I was full. The mint lemonade is delicious. Even though the place was busy, my food came in record time for south american restaurants. It was expensive (about $10 US for an entree) but worth it to have a break from white rice and potatoes. Would return again.

Pros: friendly, efficient service, good food, bean sprouts!
Cons: expensive, small portions
nielswied
nielswied

Huerto Huerta

3 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2007

Have been there for lunch December 2007. Huerta is the smaller annex to Huerto. Yeah, there was a long menu list, but a lot was not available, so we had to fiddle around to make a choice. Staff was not very helpful.
I think the good reviews are a bit exagerated, but, yes, it is vegetarian and not bad.
Dr. Niels Wiedenhof

Pros: all vegetarian, alcoholic drinks, nice surroundings
Cons: many things not available
kympatterson
kympatterson

Great service and food

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2007

This is one of the best vege restuarants I've found so far in South America. The service was great and most of the staff spoke English, which was a bonus. The soups and set plates were delicious and the dessert was divine - I'd recommend the chocolate brownie.
A great experience all round!

Pros: Tasty food, NIce atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Food not very hot, A little bit pricey
button
button

Great Atmosphere

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2006

Very nice tasty food. The decor is rustic with a native influence and very nice. There's plenty of vegan options, but beware, I think some of the brown rice dishes have egg. They have english menus and some the staff speak english.

Pros: Great atmpshpere, Great service, Tasty food
Cons: Somewhat pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of El Huerto: