El Granero de Lavapies

Menu of the day, seitan, tofu, and more. Open Fri-Sat evening only. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Spanish, Beer/Wine

First Review by nottsvegan
Fer
Fer

Traditional food

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

This is a medium size restaurant with 12 clasical tables. In the wall the metallic hangers show that pictures exibitions were frequently exposed. The menu is painted in a wood board. Prices are affordables, a complete meal can cost 15 euros.Good quality and quantity of food. Few vegan options and no marked in the menu (you must ask to the waiter). No easy parking in the street, near is available a paying parking in Primavera Street #3.

Pros: Good prices, Quantity and quality of food
Cons: No vegan labels in menu, No easy to park, Few vegan options
Ashni
Ashni

Family fun feel, tasty food

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

I visited this restaurant with omni friends and everyone had a happy dining experience.

It feels like a family run restaurant, with cute wooden chairs and tables, white/red/green tiled floor, funky wooden slat menus (see the photo I have uploaded!).

Our group had some delicious wine; starters at around 5 Euros including tabouleh and vegetable soup; and mains at around 7 Euros including spaghetti with soya and shitake mushrooms, a turkish rice dish (rice cooked with spices and pine nuts) and migas (tasty breadcrumbs dish). There are less options for vegans but the staff are very friendly and were happy to answer all my questions and let me know which items on the menu were vegan friendly.

We had a great meal and I would be happy to return here again.

Pros: Friendly staff, Tasty food
AdamAAAA
AdamAAAA

Tasty, wholesome food at a reasonable price

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

On a recent trip to Madrid I had lunch here twice and on both occasions the food was tasty, wholesome and reasonably priced, and the service was prompt and friendly. I'll certainly return there on my next trip to Madrid.

Pros: Good food, Good value, Friendly staff

Vegangirltravels
Vegangirltravels

some tasty options, but not great for vegans

3 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2012

I've been to el granero several times. It's a pleasant restaurant but it can get quite busy, so I recommend going for lunch on quieter days such as Monday or Tuesday. I've always ordered el menu de dia, which if I remember right is around 11 euros for a starter a main and desert.
I highly recommend el puchero del druida as a starter, which is a tasty been/lentil stew type thing. For mains I've tried the vegan paella (ok) and the tofu a la plancha which is basically pan fried slices of tofu with a sort of pesto oil and a garnish of salad, which is quite light but the tofu is rather tasteless(they don't marinate it or anything). For desert I think there is only one vegan option a "vegan banana smoothie" which isn't great, but better than nothing!
Vegeterians have better options, I've been with people that had lasagne for main course and tiramisu for desert and were very happy with their food.

Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: not great for vegans, some dishes are lacking in flavour
Mu
Mu

my favourite spanish

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2012

several vegan options, very tasty and cheap

Pros: tasty, vegan friendly, price
Cons: busy...which is totally understandable!
miguelzuma
miguelzuma
  • non-vegetarian

Excelent!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2010

I try to visit El Granero whenever I come to Madrid. They serve excellent fresh made food and the staff is really nice. Gazpacho (in the summer) is a must!!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff
Cons: Small
jennarentz
jennarentz

Organic, family style, delicious, vegan options

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

Organic, fair trade, vegetarian and mostly vegan food. They even give you a bowl of organic cane sugar for your organic fair trade coffee. It's like "mom's house" small, in Lavapies, near Reina Sofia. Very good cous cous and turkish rice.. Very good food, and very healthy.

Pros: price, organic, vegan options
promwall
promwall

Mom's House

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2010

I ate in this small restaurant and felt like I was home. The restaurant was full at 3:00 P.M. on a weekday in March. There was a piece of binder paper tacked on the wall just inside the door. I am a single and when my name came up "Mom" asked me if I wouldn't mind eating with others. I quickly agreed and was seated at a table with two other singles. We enjoyed a lively conversation and shared tastes of each other's dishes. We all orderd off the Menu el Dia and everything was excellent. If you want ala carte there is a large menu but looks much more costly than the Menu el Dia. This was a really fun experience. The restaurant is on a very lively, fun street on which to wander in either direction and I had lunch there after visiting the nearby Museo Reina Sofia.

Pros: Friendly, excellent food, menu el dia
Cons: may have to wait
CO FF
CO FF

Tasty but limited

3 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

There was nothing "wrong" with this place, but nothing overwhelmingly right about it either. Small menu, limited variety, small space. Staff was friendly & sincere.

It's best value is it's location near the Reina Sofia museum.

Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Could become a second home

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2008

This could be my regular lunch place if I lived in Madrid. The women running the place work well as a team to deliver delicious and fresh food. The 10 euro menu del dia, with lots of choice plus a daily special, is the way to eat - and you ought not to be disappointed. Test the quality by how well they do a classic dish like gazpacho, and then check out some of the more varied and unusual things.
We could tell from the other customers' interactions with the staff that they are mostly regulars, but we didn't feel out of place and enjoyed our meal there immensely. Shame it isn't open in the evening.
And it is very close to the Reina Sofia museum, just walk up the Calle Argumosa. When we first saw it we thought it was closed, and nearly didn't try the door. What a mistake that would have been.

Pros: you can see the kitchen, the staff, the menu del dia
Cons: none!
lorihs
lorihs

yummy!

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2008

what a great little place! we arrived just in time before the lunch rush (around 1:30 pm) and the food was wonderful. unless you are fluent in spanish, the menu can be difficult to read, but the staff are friendly and speak a bit of english and can help you out. definitely check it out if you are on vacation in madrid.

Pros: tastes like homeade food
Cons: menu a little hard to read
gymm
gymm

It was GREAT!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2007

The reviews here don't really reflect what we found. The food was superb, the staff friendly and obliging and the service without fault. We went with 2 local non-veggies who often use this place, so it must be good to convince them!!!! We all ordered items (different) from the 'del dia' menu. We all loved the food. It was filling without being heavy or stodgy. The ingredients were fresh and well cooked. Original items were listed together with many others. You need to place your name on the waiting list and then wait your turn when it is busy..... which it seems to be. A novel idea to help seat singles are two large tables where you can find a like-minded person to sit with. this prevent tables for 4 being occupied by singles and enables better use of the sating plan. A clever idea. You should go....

Pros: quality, friendlyness, service
Cons: can be busy
nottsvegan
nottsvegan

Tasty food and friendly staff

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2007

We tried both a lunchtime menu-del-dia and an evening meal here. It was very busy at lunchtime, so we had to wait for a table, but quieter in the evening (Friday - the only night it is open). Staff were (unusually for Madrid) very friendly and helpful and a couple of them had some English. They know what vegans are so could help us choose food. Food is fairly simple - lots of seitan and tofu. About half the choices were vegan, though only a couple of (unexciting) desserts were. We found the portion sizes to be fine.

Pros: Friendly staff, Simple, healthy food
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Nottsvegan, thanks for the info on this place. It is amazing how many vegetarians don't understand what a vegan eats and doesn't eat, don't you think?

Dear Owner and Manager of El Granero de Lavapies: