Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a veggie menu. Lunch 12-2pm serving soup, main dish, and pudding for around 15 bolivianos. Also vegan options like tofu curry. Only coffee and cake served in the afternoon. Open 8am-10pm. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Bolivian, Non-veg

First Review by iceicekati
DIANE240378
DIANE240378

not many vegan options

2 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

Staff had no english, tofu curry was nice but pricey. Salad was tasteless with no dressing &pricey for what you get. Lunch menu was not vegan friendly

Pros: easy to find
Cons: needs more flavour, more vegan options are needed
Pam Riley
Pam Riley

Great variety

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

Love this restaurant for the set lunch. We ate here 10-11 times and the set lunch was different every time. It was tasty, and sometimes super delicious, each visit. Servings are large and prices inexpensive. The space is small and tends to fill up at lunch time so you must arrive early. However, if it is full you can always join a table. We met some terrific, interesting people that way so no problem. To further attest to the quality, many local people eat here who are not strictly vegetarian.

Pros: quality, quantity, price
soniavdk
soniavdk

El Germen (Sucre)

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

set menu at lunch time cost only 20 bolivares and is good value for money: we had tasty tomato soup, main dish with quinoa, vegetables and soy beans and a small but yummy desert (yougurt with fruit) and a glass of cold thee

Dinner cost approx 30 bolivares and was also tasty and good portion: rice, coliflower and brocoli with curry saus and soy bean mock meat

Pros: big choose menu, tasty, library to exchange books
Cons: bit slow service, only spanish spoken

amberdaum
amberdaum

Not many Vegan options

2 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2012

We ate here today, arrived at 11:45 and ordered by 12pm. We wanted the set lunch menu that everyone was raving about, costing 20 bolivianos, but when we asked the lady if it was vegan she said "no" and was quite stressy about it, I asked in spanish if it had cheese "no" cream? "si", so I questioned the tofu curry, turned out that had cream too. So I asked what food on the menu was vegan, to which she responded with a sharp "falafel". We were pleased enough with this as my partner and I had been craving these for a while, but after we waited, 50 mins later she brought out what looked and tasted more like battered bread balls. We couldn't taste any chickpea, garlic or spices in it. Most disappointed to be honest.
I think if you are vegetarian the place had plenty of mouth watering options, but as vegan, don't waste your time.

Hope this helps!

Pros: Fruit Juice, Location, Price
Cons: Staff, Lack of Vegan food, Lack of taste
dumsterdave
dumsterdave

Good food

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2012

Good set menu for 15-20bs which includes soup, main, dessert, and drink. Also has a decent selection of other things that you can choose from the menu at reasonable prices.

Pros: set menu, price, close to plaza
Cons: crowded, small portions
Kat F
Kat F

Good Veg Option

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2011

Lots of options to choose from here. I had the falafel lunch, not too bad but there is better in town. There are lots of options on this menu from cheap to mid-range (for Bolivia). Guaranteed something for everyone, also with a cheap daily running menu.

Pros: friendly staff, baked goods, vegan options
Cons: dark dinning area
iceicekati
iceicekati

Best veg food I`ve had in Bolivia

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2010

We had the set lunch, good veg soup, pastel de quinoa was really yummy, very big portion, and applesauce like my grandma used to make for dessert... mmm! Overall very good and big meal for 17 bolivianos. Also sell yummy looking cookies and desserts. As far as I saw it is totally veg. Check it out!

Pros: delicious, big portions, sell cookies and desserts
Cons: book exchange kind of poor

Dear Owner and Manager of El German: