Serves meat, veg options available. One of three EL Encuentro restaurants in Cusco, this offers a range of vegetarian, vegan, and pescatarian (fish) meals including tofu burger, pancakes, spaghetti, salads, french fries, falafels, whole wheat bread, cocktails and juices. Complimentary salad bar with meal. Nice atmosphere, quick service. Weekday movie afternoons from 3-6pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Peruvian, Western, Non-veg

First Review by Elahn Keshava
Patapompon
Patapompon

Great restaurant with cheap menu

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

I've been there twice during my trip in Cusco region and it was one of the best restaurants. I didn't try the two others but this one has a veg menu at S/. 5 that includes soup, main course, bread and mate. The food is kind of basic (and that was I wanted), but tastes very good, warms the heart and the belly. I didn't try the other dishes but the menu was really good. Plus, the service is quick and I liked the cosy atmosphere.

Pros: Quality-price ratio very good, Quick and efficient, Good portions
Franz Huckleberry
Franz Huckleberry

Excellent veg food close to the Plaza de Armas

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

I didn't visit the other two versions of this restaurant but this place was brilliant - cheap daily lunch set as well as an extensive menu for lunch or dinner. I went back a few times and had soups, burgers, amazing guacamole and got to try a vegan version of the Lomo Saltado I keep seeing everywhere in Peru!

Can't recommend enough.

Pros: Superb food, Cheap, Great location
Cons: Need to check menu for sneaky fish, Closed the Sunday I was there
Rasadhari
Rasadhari

Great inexpensive lunch and dinner special menu

4 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

When I have to meet friends for lunch or dinner, this is the best deal, in a very centric location, a little hidden though but quiet, just steps from the main plaza and the cathedral. Even though I would prefer to go to visit my friend Lojita who has a vegetarian lunch menu stand in the San Blas Market, El Encuentro at El Tigre is much more convenient since I usually stay in hostals near the plaza which are not as expensive as those in the San Blas hill. There are a couple more of El Encuentro restaurants, but as far as I remember at least the one at Ruinas Street has a little more expensive lunch and many times is difficult to find a seat for lunch.
The food at all El Encuentro restaurants is kind of the same in all of them, they use a lot of local, seasonal, native ingredients, which I think is fabulous, inexpensive too and since when in Peru I want to eat local food, quinua, different kind of potatoes and corns, native herbs and seasonings, yummy...which are served mainly during lunch and dinner menus that they change every day, and are advertised in a little board they hang by the door . The also have a printed set menu with other stuffs I'm not so interested in like more traditional restaurant food made vegetarian, like burgers, pasta, etc, but they are more expensive than the lunch special.
I just wish they give bigger size dish plates for the salad, just because they have such a delicious salad bar. Next time in Cusco I'll tell this suggestion to the owner, who I first met in a Vegetarian Fair to promote a vegetarian feast as an alternative to the traditional "chiriuchu" (festival dish with many different kinds of animal corpses) that we had in Cusco about 7 years ago, so I can tell he is a convinced truthful vegetarian good man who practices and promotes what he believes. Not as other vegetarian places I've been (specially one vegan food chain in the states) who just use the vegetarian food sales as a business...
Since this is my first review, may be I got too excited and wrote so much. But just to finalize I can say that I strongly recommend El Encuentro, as one of my top favorites.

Pros: Inexpensive, Centrical, Quiet
Cons: Could get crowded

yukkoj
yukkoj
  • raw

very good food!

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

I had the lunch special for 6 soles (about $2.50) which came with salad from the salad bar, soup, half a piece of bread, main dish with rice, and tea.
The soup was luke warm but tasty, the salad didn´t have much fresh veg but they had cooked califlower and green beans, fresh cucumbers and tomato, onion, sprout mix with dressing. The main dish I got was veggie filled yuka (kinda like potato), it was fried.
I wouldn´t say its the healthiest veggie food you can get, but it is pretty good and really cheap. Great value, good service.

Pros: inexpensive, tastes good
Cons: no much fresh veg
drwiz
drwiz

Best in Cusco

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

Just got back and had to review this restaurant. Very solid food with great prices and pretty extensive menu for a small establishment. Good soups, lentil burgers faux hamburgers, sandwiches and entrees.

Pros: low prices, good selection, good food
Cons: small seating capacity
Marissat1
Marissat1

Casual Vegan Fare

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2012

As a vegan, I so appreciated the 3 branches of El Encuentro in Cusco (all separately owned with same menu).

-low key, casual atmosphere
-fresh juices, homemade herb teas, soups, veg takes in Peruvian dishes, great crepes
-try the chips and guacamole--so good we ate it daily during our trip
-quinoa/veggie soup and lentil soup were fantastic
-great value for vegan fare
-would not recommend the vegan version of Cusco dish chicharones or lentil burger (dry)

Aside from a few misfires listed, we would highly recommend!

Elahn Keshava
Elahn Keshava

Best of the Three El Encuentro's in Cusco

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2012

Having read the fantastic reviews of the Prasada Vege Burgers and the average reviews of this place, I was very happily surprised to find the burgers here were in my opinion superior to those at Prasada. I reluctantly stumbled in to this little restaurant after unsuccessfully searching for the Prana Raw Food Cafe, and was very pleasantly surprised. Great value (especially set menu), real chips, excellent salad, really good portions and a very nice complementary salad bar (when you buy a meal). Not the most friendly and informative service but a minor imperfection. Nice atmosphere and quick service.

Dear Owner and Manager of El Encuentro - Tigre: