A vegetarian/organic restaurant serving freshly made-to-order food with sophisticated flavors, including many vegan options. Décor provides an ecological awareness and all materials used are recycled. Also has a cafeteria all day with a variety of healthy items. Closed Mon. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Take-out, Delivery
25 metros oeste de la Oficina de Correos de Costa Rica (Avenida 5 - Juan Santa María)
Alajuela, Costa Rica 639-4050

• Cash only

First Review by Kyleigh100
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

If You're Coming To Costa Rica - COME HERE TO EAT!

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

We went here on our second night and on our ninth night in Costa Rica. In between, my wife & I kept talking about how much we were looking forward to returning to El Chante Vegano. The food was to die for & in all the towns we visited, THIS was the place with best food for the money.
The restaurant is actually vegan with the possibility of having dairy cheese on the pizza they offer if you prefer so even if you don't speak or read Spanish very well, you can safely order anything off the menu if you're vegan.
The staff was super friendly & family-run. We enjoyed talking and laughing with everyone who worked there. They helped to translate some of the dishes that we couldn't decifer & we never had to wait long for any assistance.
The food was delicious. Each night we were there we had 2 appetizers, 2 main dishes, & 2 desserts. You cannot pick a bad or average dish. Everything was exceptional & the portions were big enough for even the biggest of appetites (& I'm no slouch when it comes to eating big meals). The plaintain appetizer was super tastey & the guacamole they serve was probably the best I've had. The burgers are large & the bread they are served on is soft & amazing. I could've ate the buns alone as another appetizer.
I'm a big coffee drinker & this was the 1st place I was able to get a cup of coffee. They had soy milk but you really don't need much if you don't like black coffee b/c even the black coffee is sweet enough to drink plain.
The music & atmosphere was chill, warm, & inviting. You can really tell the love & work that went into putting the place together.
Truly, you canNOT find a better place to grab food within a fifty kilometer radius (if not the entire country). After a long day of hiking around the Poas Volcano area, this is THE place to refuel.
They only take cash but you can pay in either US dollars or local Costa Rican colones.
I can't wait to return to Costa Rica. I am saddened I can't eat here every day.

Pros: friendly & helpful staff, delicious & generous portions, inexpensive
Kyleigh100
Kyleigh100

The Best Restaurant in Costa Rica

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2014

I absolutely love this restaurant!! During our brief stay in Alajuela my husband and I ate here twice The food was amazing. Everything we ordered was full of flavor, and tasted amazingly fresh, you can tell that a lot of love goes into the food preparation as well as the restaurant as a whole. It’s a beautiful place, comfortable and down to earth. The family that runs the restaurant is super friendly and helpful, they really make you feel welcome and at home.

The menu selection is varied, with something for everyone. For an appetizer we ordered the fried plantains, which comes with refried beans and guacamole or pica de gallo - we chose guacamole which was awesome! These were fantastic! We also tried the humus with pita which was very creamy, light, and had the perfect touch of garlic.

For our meals my husband had the Portobello burger which came with a side of rosemary potatoes, and the Sandwich Lu. My husband loved the sandwich and gave me a bite, I thought it was excellent too.

I got the Garbanzo Bean burger which also came with rosemary potatoes and this was probably one of the best burgers I’ve ever had. The patty was moist, and soft, yet flaky. The flavor was amazing, and the bun was to die for. This also came with rosemary potatoes which were great. I tried the No Sea Burrito too. Great flavor. I loved how the tortilla was crispy on the outside yet still soft. Fantastic! It came with a nice green salad with a tasty dressing.

For dessert we tried a Chocolate Brownie which just melted in your mouth. One of the best brownies I’ve had. We tried a cupcake which was moist, and not overly sweet which I loved. We tried the cinnamon buns which were fantastic. Crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside with a delectable cinnamon glaze. Perfect!

There are not enough good things I can say about El Chante Vegano. If you’re in or near Alajuela you must pay them a visit, you won’t be disappointed. Out of all the places we ate on our trip to Costa Rica this was our favorite. High quality food, great flavors, wonderful atmosphere, great selection of music playing over the stereo, and wonderful people. What more can you ask for? Anytime I’m in Costa Rica this will be my go-to restaurant destination.

Pros: Amazing Food, Great Atmosphere , Inexpensive

Dear Owner and Manager of El Chante Vegano: