Serves meat, veg options available. Bar and Mexican food restaurant. Offers vegan versions of nachos, quesadilla, burritos, and tacos. Salsa bar with house-made salsas. Owner is vegan aware. Busy and loud spot. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Mexican, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
5465 Leary Ave NW (Ballard)
Seattle, Washington 98107

Curiosity Saves Cats
Curiosity Saves Cats

Those nachos - OMG!!

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2015

I loved this place. As much as I prefer to eat at an all veggie place, when you are with non-veg friends, I love finding places where we can all be happy. And this restaurant is that for sure.

The vegan offering is really extensive and clearly marked. Plenty of options and vegan sauces to go with them.

The nachos are to die for. Seriously, better than the loaded nachos I used to have before I transitioned to veganism. The portion is massive, so make sure you share them! I then ordered 2 tacos: the one with mushrooms and the one with potatoes. Both super delicious too. The margaritas are cheap and cheerful, so overall a really nice meal. They were playing sports in TV which is not really my thing, but I dont care for as long as they keep making those nachos lol ;)

Pros: Nachos!
jwpuma
jwpuma

Rabbit meat!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2015

I am not sure how this place ended up being approved to be on HappyCow. I was just looking at their menu and they serve "shredded rabbit." I think this restaurant should be removed. Disgusting!!!!!

axis777
axis777

A (small) vegan slice of heaven

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

El Borracho (The Drunkard) is a very friendly Mexican restaurant that has some semblance of what real bars/food joints are like a bit off the beaten path in Mexico. There's a central bar, indoor/outdoor seating with a large garage door that opens in front, and some booths and tables for families or groups. It's not a place to go for a quiet meal, so go for the fun and (some of) the food. Be aware that it's not a vegetarian-only place - they serve a lot of meat in spite of the owner being a vegan(?!). What makes this place really special, though, is the vegan nachos - a wonderful, tall stack of chips laced with Daiya cheese, guacamole and jalapeƱos. They are to die for, especially with one of their signature margaritas. You can also get vegan burritos, tacos and quesadillas in case you want more food than you can eat. For added flavor, they make about a half-dozen of their own hot sauces (all vegan as well). It's a great place that's well worth the trip to Ballard.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 27, 2014

Pros: Vegan nachos, burritos, tacos and more, Friendly, open indoor/outdoor space, Semi-authentic Mexican feel
Cons: Not vegetarian-only, Somewhat expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of El Borracho - Ballard: