Eight Treasure Vegetarian

Serving a wide variety of vegetarian cuisine. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese
282A South Bridge Road (next to Singapore Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, Chinatown)
Central Singapore, Singapore 058831
65-65347727

First Review by bandita
Osfede
Osfede

Good food but quite expensive

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

Food was good, but found it really expensive. And also they brought me the bill when i didnt even start eating my dishes...
But the food was good

Pros: long menu
Cons: expensive
emme emme
emme emme

Too much focus on fake meat

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2012

I think the cuisine at Eight Treasures is not the best, but the service is very attentive. The waiter was very friendly. What I didn't like at all was the huge choice of fake meat on the menu. I don't need to eat fake meat to be satisfied, and I prefer fresh food. We didn't see a lot of fresh vegetables on the menu and this to me doesn't sound very healthy, but we might have missed something. We had many courses as recommended by the waiter, but can't remember the name of anything. Everything had a strong salty taste. Nothing was very memorable. They have a very simple dining room, nice enough but the best thing is the view of the nearby Buddha Temple. This is not an expensive restaurant for this city. But surely there are many other good vegetarian restaurants for the same price that I missed. Anyway I have to note again the friendliness of the waiter but I'm sorry, I'd probably never return and will try some other places.

Pros: friendly staff, food arrived very quickly, convenient location
Cons: too much fake meat, few fresh vegetables, very salty flavours
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Gourmet delight

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

Visited around Chinese New Year, so was presented with a limited menu, however, upon asking if they could do other dishes regularly available but now only appearing on the set menu, they were very accomodating. Should you visit January/February be sure to try the Lucky Yu Sheng, a shredded vegetable, crispy cracker, plum sauce and myriad other ingredient concoction, which was simply delectable.From the regularly available dishes we were particularly impressed with the black pepper fragrant potato basket, the bamboo pith sharks fin soup and the abalone mushrooms with seasonal greens. The regular menu is wide and varied, the restuarant very comfortable and the food simply sublime. It was on e of the best meals I have ever had. The only problem is the price- our bill came to S$90, so I wouldn't classify the price range as moderate. Open 11am-10pm daily. Treat yourself!

Pros: Great food, Large menu, Comfortable place
Cons: Expensive

Peace ...
Peace ...

Buddha Jump Over the Wall & 8 Treasures Herbal Sou

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2010

Buddha Jump Over the Wall @ ($15/$25/$25)+
When I last dined at Eight Treasures Vegetarian Restaurant, something caught my eye - Buddha Jump Over the Wall, which is a Chinese Cuisine delicacy dish! So, on our next visit, we ordered this specialty dish - Vegetarian Version Buddha Jump Over the Wall. The dish looks presentable and the pricing for this dish is reasonable ($15/$25/$25). We ordered the $15 Buddha Jump Over the Wall which is more than enough for 2 pax.

It consists of broccoli, mock abalone, mock shark's fin, wolfberries, mushroom, mock sea cucumber, angelica root (I think). What I loooove most was the mock sea cucumber, the chewy texture was just right and it tastes so delectable after soaking up the rich broth. It paired beautifully with their special brown rice - which consist of barely too and very delicious.

8 Treasures Herbal Soup @ S$18.80+
Herbal soups served in Vegetarian Restaurants are not losing any goodness. There are 2 types of herbal soups to choose from - 8 Treasures Herbal Soup and Ginseng Mock Chicken Soup.

As I am not a big fan of mock meat, I picked the 8 Treasures Herbal Soup that uses many different types of herbs and mushrooms This is a big pot for a small eater and both of us just could not finish it. The waitress was so proactive that she suggested packing it up for us to take back home.

Black Pepper Mock Chicken Chop @ S$7+
They has quite an extensive menu with 120 dishes - which include a well planed small section on Western Menu that consists of Crispy Green Salad, Fruit Cocktail Salad, Black Pepper Mock Chicken Chop and Fish and Chips which taking into the needs of local and tourist (vegetarian) who likes western food.

On the whole, the food is more toward Traditional Chinese Cuisine (Vegetarian) and is delectable. Prices, in the range of any causal dinning non-vegetarian restaurants/eateries but if with their privilege card that entitle to 12% off, it offset away the 10% service charge. Ambience - a Chic and Stylish Chinese Vegetarian Restaurant with a lively and cool ambiance.

My non-vegetarian friend who has a lovely dinner at this restaurant decided to bring her Catholic Friend to this restaurant and they really enjoy and like the food even it is vegetarian.

Must Tries: Mini Pot Vegetarian Shark's Fin, Buddha Jump Over the Wall & 8 Treasures Herbal Soup, 8 Treasures Tea, 8 Treasures Tofu

Pros: Good Ambience , Friendly Staff
bandita
bandita

Great variety, nice location, and pleasant setting

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

The menu is what first got my attention. There is so much variety and for a reasonable price. However, whatever they bring you before you order, don't expect it to be complementary. They brought us tea, napkins and peanuts, and everything was charged. The $5 tea surprised us the most. However, the meals were tasty. My friends and I all shared our dishes, and all tasted great. My favorite was a fish dish my friend ordered...can't remember the name but it had a bbq taste. My friends favorite was the monkeyhead mushrooms. My other friend enjoyed the black pepper chicken. He actually ordered a different type of fish dish, but it never arrived but we were all fine with that because we ended up too full. They immediately brought us the receipt, before our desserts came, so we reminded them that were were charged for them, and they confirmed that the desserts were on the way. About 20 min later, my friend went to ask them the status, and turns out they forgot about it. We saw them take the desserts out of the fridge and walk to the kitchen (obviously, to put them in nice silverware). We were surprised about that too because how can they forget when we reminded them at the time we got the receipt and paid our bill, especially when it was just a matter of pulling it out of the fridge instead of actually having to go out of the way to make it? We didn't care for the mango dessert...tasted syrupy, like straight from a can. The honeydew sago on the other hand was delicious. Tasted like vanilla ice-cream, with a hint of melon, and some sago pearls among other ingrediants. The waitress also didn't understand English very well. Fortunately, my friend can speak a little.
It's a nice, relaxing setting, and upstairs where you can look down at all the hustle and bustle. Well, even though we didn't care for the service very much, especially since there really wasn't an excuse because it wasn't very busy, the food was good, price is reasonable (most meal was about $10 for a small size, which was a pretty good size portion), and the setting is nice, so I'll still rate it a 4.

Pros: Great variety, Reasonable price, Great taste
Cons: Surprise charges, Forgetful waitress

Dear Owner and Manager of Eight Treasure Vegetarian: