Serves meat, veg options available. Will accommodate vegans upon request. Pasta and bread are vegan. Cozy, old world ambience. Expect a wait on weekends nights if without a reservation. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

TristaTabaldo
TristaTabaldo

Meh.

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2011

They really don't have many vegan options. Of course bread and pasta are vegan. Why would I go to Edo Squid to have pasta and tomato sauce? I can make that at home. You'll survive, if a non-vegan friends drag you there, but I suggest go there for a nice dining experience if you're vegan. You're not who they feed.

Guest

EDO'S IS UNIQUE and WOndErFuL!

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2009

If you're looking for a quiet romantic night out with your honey, this aint it. If you want some socko Italian food and love Garlic, go nowhere else. Scungilli! YES! Edo's is not cheap but it's not as much as some other places. Crowded, yeah, service? great to lousy. That's not why you're here. The ONLY thing I don't like is if you have a large party you can't necessarily order exactly what you want. It's like family style. You order a few large orders and share. Some people like it. Not me. But I go with my wife or family every chance I get.

Pros: FOOD, FOOD, FOOD
Cons: service, loud/crowded, not-A-problem
ny8ycc
ny8ycc

Caution!

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2009

I am writing this review to caution everyone who values a pleasant restaurant atmosphere while dining out.
I had heard a few good things about Edo's Squid, so I decided to give it a try with my wife. Unfortunately, I wish I didn't- the noise was absolutely deafening and it was impossible to hold a conversation with someone less than two feet away. The restaurant is cramped for space (that's an understatement), and you literally sit elbow to elbow with others, unless you are fortunate enough to get your own table. There is no waiting area- you have to stand in the doorway with everyone else, just inches away from people who are trying to have their dinner. The menu is limited and very expensive, and no one even bothered to explain it (probably because they wouldn't be heard with a bullhorn). The food, in my opinion, wasn't as great as people are making it out to be- it was ok, but definitely not great. The bread was stale [edited by wm]. If you order a soda, you are given a tiny 10 ounce bottle, but you are charged several dollars for it.
The service was just "ok"- no one bothered to follow up after we received our food to ask if everything was alright.

Granted, I visited the restaurant on a Saturday night, which is probably their busiest night, but still, the atmosphere is much less than desirable.

Just thought I would caution anyone who values a pleasant restaurant atmosphere.

Pros: none
Cons: deafening noise, expensive, cramped

Unprofessional

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

I made a reservation for 8pm. Had another reservation for a show at 10pm. All of this for my girlfriend's birthday who was coming from out of town. When we arrived, the place was packed (WHICH IS WHY I MADE THE RESERVATION!!!) We weren't seated until an hour later. The hostess was rude and indifferent to our wait (in her defense she was obviously stressed). We missed the 10pm show and I had to eat the cost of the tickets. When I spoke with the "manager/bartender", and demanded some compensation, he simply said sorry there was nothing he could do other than get us some drinks next time. If your'e not going to honor your reservations, then simply don't take them. Don't ruin peoples evenings!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: None
Cons: Rude service, Reservations are a joke
mdavidson
mdavidson

Service & Food Great, Could do without the smoking

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2008

I just went to Edo's Squid for the first time last Sunday. I read reviews of Edo's Squid and on numerous sights everyone agreed the food was great, but the service was aweful. Well, knowing that, we set our expectations low on the service in order to not spoil the evening, but was happily surprised at getting great service as well as great food. The only issue that we had was the smoking. The restaurant is small and you sit close to your neighbors, so if someone is smoking - everyone is smoking. I hope they consider making the restaurant smoke-free.

Pros: excellent food, fun atmosphere, interesting menu items
Cons: smoking, tables very close together
lovesbella21
lovesbella21

3 Times a Charm

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2007

I have been to Edo's Squid three times. The first time was on a Saturday night with a large group... we had a reservation, but ended up waiting 45 minutes in the very cramped lobby area, wedged between the bar and nearby tables. The waitress was extremely rude and dismissive... but the food was so good, that I decided to give it another try. The second time I went I was with my fiance and we went early on a Friday night. Sadly, we had the same waitress... thankfully; we had the same quality food. The peppers and mozzarella appetizer was awesome and my shrimp diavolo pasta was perfect. The third time I went with a group of three on a Sunday evening. With a reservation, we had to wait for 10 minutes, but the hostess was friendly and even asked us which table we preferred. I was thrilled to have a new waiter approach our table. He was helpful and friendly... and he made some great recommendations of food and wine. I was very pleased with my third experience at Edo's Squid... largely due to the change in servers. With such a charming atmosphere and unique menu, Edo's Squid has the potential to one of my favorite spots in Richmond. However, good food will only take a restaurant so far... the overall service needs to be improved at Edo's Squid.

Pros: great food, charming
Cons: poor service
beyonde_1
beyonde_1

Great food

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2007

The conc appitizer was incredible! The marinara is homemade. I can see where people would say the service is bad but this particular time it was good.

Pros: conc appitizer, marinara, french bread
Cons: service

Dear Owner and Manager of Edo's Squid: