Edge of the Woods Natural M...

Family owned all-vegetarian health food market and deli offering an extensive selection of natural groceries. Has an onsite bakery, a sandwich and pizza bar, self-serve hot foods & salad bar, and a fresh juice bar. The buffet bar dishes are clearly labeled. Carries meat only in the dog and cat food. Seating available inside. more-less
379 Whalley Ave

Alisonrub
Alisonrub

Predates all the fads

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2014

Edge has been around for a long time. When I moved to New Haven in 1992 it was already an established place to buy organic as well as kosher. It is still great. A very extensive choice of food, cleaning and health products. It has everything and now the cafe is even better. There is pizza day (vegan I believe is also available), baked goods, sandwiches and a hot/cold bar. I love this place. It is supported by the local community which is a nice mixture of people of colour and religious Jews plus a sprinkle of ageing hippy types. Don't miss it.

Pros: Wide choice of products, Good food, Community-based
Cons: A little worn around the edges, Prices (but with organic.....)
mark m braunstein
mark m braunstein

a vegetarian health food store, hurray!

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2010

A health food store that carries meat only in the dog and cat food (same as the wonderful Willimantic Food Coop), Edge offers a good bakery and a an even better buffet with everything clearly labeled either vegan or dairy. Seating is available upstairs, but it's setup more for take-out. With Ahimsa closed down, you'll do better to eat here than at New Haven's Claire's Cornercopia, which only pretends to be vegetarian, and even pretends to be on a street corner as alluded to in its name. Indeed, Claire is not herself vegetarian, and she even opened a meat restaurant right next door. While not glamorous, this is the best place for vegans and vegetarians to eat in all of New Haven. And the parking is easy too.

Pros: buffet, bakery
xcharliex
xcharliex

I wish I lived closer.

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2009

I live 50 miles away but anytime I'm in the neighborhood, I try to stop in. The cafe alone is worth it. The full range of vegan baked goods is great and so are the sandwiches. Haven't tried the bar yet. The rest of the store is packed with stuff to make vegan living even easier. I will say that if the girl behind the sandwich counter is the same person described in a previous review, I agree - she's pretty snotty and really detracts from the atmosphere of the place. Other than her, everything is great.

Pros: Wide vegan assortment., Huge selection., Vegan brownies.
Cons: Sandwich Counter Girl.

anthony
anthony

This place rules, but....

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2008

The woman who closes the hot bar can eat a bag of shit. Twice this has happened. We go in, and for no apparent reason, all the ingredients have been removed from the items on the hotbar. If you ask for the ingredients, she either a) straight up lies- i caught her telling me something was vegan that wasn't. b)she just ignores you, or c)-this one is my favorite, can't figure out what the word 'ingredient' means.

Let me illustrate:
me-"what are the ingredients to the soy cutlets?'
her-"soy cutlets"
me-"right, but what are they made of?"
her-"soy"
me-"well, obviously, but what else is in there, I see that there is some sort of tomato sauce, and some vegetables, so obviously its more than just 'a soy cutlet', WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS?
her-"soy cutlets, with tomato sauce....."

Seriously, what the fuck. Why is she employed?

Pros: 100% veg, Tons of Vegan options, Great location
Cons: The woman who closes the hot bar is dumb
solarvegan
solarvegan

What a find!

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2007

We had expected a small natural foods grocery. But we were pleasantly surprised to discover how big this store was when we drove in to the spacious parking lot. And once inside ... wow! The produce section was so well-stocked with many organic choices. And the grocery section ... wow again! So many natural food products crammed into this vegan shoppers' paradise! I even found Vitasoy chocolate banana soymilk -- a summer product discontinued -- and key lime flavor Tofutti Cuties, a brand new variety. The point is that the selection was as good as in stores many times its size! And the cafeteria and bakery! Vegan choices everywhere! Had we not filled up at the nearby vegan restaurant, Ahimsa, we would have partaken of the many tempting choices in the lunch buffet. But we did purchase a vegan chocolate raspberry cookie and vegan brownie to take home. All vegan choices were clearly labeled! And no flesh anywhere in the store. Bonus: we could feel good supporting a natural foods store that is not part of a mega-corporation. I have frequented veggie natural food stores for over two decades and of them all, this is one of the best!

Pros: huge all vegetarian selection, cafeteria/bakery with vegan choices, helpful staff
vegeway14
vegeway14

I remember them when..............................

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2007

This place started out on Edgewood Ave. back in the 1960's just a hole in the wall, but the vision was there. They followed it and look at them now! We go ther once a week and it's always such a joy and very calming, and such great choices for luch.(veg or vegan)
Nameste

Pros: great food, very helpful staff
Cons: cost
Guest
Guest

Great Cakes!

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2007

We had Edge of the Woods make six vegan cakes for our wedding and they were FABULOUS and pretty to boot. Our guests couldn't beleive they were vegan. So yummy. The rest of the store is awesome, though pricey.

Dena
Dena

Best vegan food in New Haven

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2007

Without Edge of the Woods, we could not live in New Haven! This place has an amazing selection of vegetarian/vegan groceries, cosmetics, vitamins, etc. and an extensive bakery/juice bar/buffet. Grocery prices are comparable to what you'd find in a chain supermarket, and the prepared food prices are more than reasonable. The food on the buffet is absolutely delicious and creative...there is always something new being served...most recently we had an incredible seitan pot pie. Everything is clearly labeled with ingredients and vegetarian/vegan status. Staff are always friendly and helpful. We love this place!

Pros: 100% vegetarian, huge selection, great buffet
Cons: not the best neighborhood

Dear Owner and Manager of Edge of the Woods Natural Market: