Eden's Vegetarian Dining...

Chef Alexander specializes in vegetarian and vegan cuisine and is able to cater for all dietary requirements. Uses seasonal items that are available in the local area markets. Reported to be all vegan except one item which contains dairy. Open hours vary, call ahead. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, American, Catering

First Review by myHania
granolagirl
granolagirl

One of a kind experience

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2013

We visited Eden's after a day at the outlets. We were greeted by Alex, who is as kind as all the reviews say. He really has a passion for what he does. I am a vegan and my husband a meat eater who enjoyed the meal as much as I did. We had a family style meal of all the days offerings. There was a seasoned brown rice, vegan ribs, vegan curried chicken, curried chickpeas and potato, collards, steamed veggies, salads and foccacia. We enjoyed it all and Alex took special care to let us know what each dish contained. There was so much of it that we had a full meal for leftovers. He also had a new peanut butter cake he had been working on that he wanted us to try out. I enjoyed it, it was very moist and not overly sweet. Everything was a flat price, irregardless of how much he kept bringing out. I really like that he has a passion for sharing his food and is open to suggestions. It's not your traditional dining experience, but I think that is what makes it special.

Pros: Variety, Hospitality, Fresh
2Chickens
2Chickens

What a great find!

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

We were traveling from Florida to Virginia, and lunch was looming. I have been a vegetarian for a good while, but recently transitioned to vegan and was wondering what to eat. I remembered the Happy Cow app, and we downloaded it. We happened to be near Smithfield, so Eden's popped up. What an awesome find! It is just minutes off 95.

We walked in and Chef Alex greeted us with the menu for the day. He also welcomed our dogs to hang out on the porch. I chose the vegan meatballs which came with wild rice and veggies, and a fresh salad with what I think was a mango dressing. We did take-out to keep on moving, and just had to wait a few minutes, which was a good chance to walk our pups. The price was reasonable and Alex was really nice. I commend him for his efforts to spread the message of veggie eating!

How great to eat fresh, yummy vegan food on the road! Thanks to Alex for a great meal and thanks to Happy Cow for leading us there.

Pros: Easy to find, Yummy food, Hospitable host
Cons: Limited menu
VeganET
VeganET

Everybody needs to go here!

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2011

We discovered Eden's via Happy Cow and decided to give it a try. We were sure our GPS was leading us astray since this is one of the last places you'd expect to find a veg resteraunt. Alex let us inside and asked us, "vegetarian or vegan?". We didn't get menus, Alex just brought a 3 course meal out to us. Everything was fresh from the garden (as in, Alex just picked the tomatoes right before we got there). Everything was made from scratch right on the spot. The food was AMAZING and it ended with home-made vegan ice cream. It did take about 1.5 hours to eat here but who's complaining when the food is so fresh & good. I think the entire 3-course meal was $12.95, which was an incredible value. I can't say enough good things about chef Alex and Eden's Vegetarian Dining.

Pros: Fresh , Friendly staff , good value
Cons: long prep time

mikeyguy7
mikeyguy7

Eden's is Now on Facebook !

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2011

Eden's. What a wonderful place to dine. I have never eaten better vegan/vegetarian food than the food served at Eden's Vegetarian Dining & Catering services! And I am happy to announce that I found Eden's on Facebook! HappyCow Friends, you must spread the word about this restaurant! Tell your family, friends, and co-workers to check out the following link! www.facebook.com/pages/Edens-Vegetarian-Dining-Catering-Services/169551426427515?ref=ts

Pros: Friendly Chef, Tasty, Healthy Food, Great Prices
Cons: Not Enough People Know About Eden's!
gratefuljoey
gratefuljoey

Wonderful vegan food in Smithfield, NC

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2010

I have been on the road traveling to different colleges in the US setting up a disco roller rink. It is hard to find good quality food on the road as a vegan. I ran across Eden's Vegetarian dining on an internet search and have nothing but wonderful things to say. I was served one of the best curried seitan dishes I have ever had. The environment was inviting and relaxed, and the chef/owner/server was an awesome and wholesome individual who knows his vegetarian foods. I highly recommend this place if you are ever near or in Smithfield, NC.

Pros: Food, Price, Environment
hoffmans2
hoffmans2

Memorable Experience

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

We dined at Eden's over a year ago but I still can't get the experience out of my mind. The service was warm, personalized, and friendly. The food was fantastic, and prepared fresh. The best bread, split-pea soup, salad dressing, and iced tea I've ever tasted!

Mighty Vegan
Mighty Vegan

One of our favorite restaurants

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2010

My wife and I discovered Eden's Vegetarian about a year ago on our drive from Florida to New York. It is truly an Oasis. The chef and restaurant owner, Alex, served us a sampler of all his vegan dishes for the day. It was a fantastic meal and we talked about it for months. It was just a few minutes off of I-95 so it was the perfect meal to break up the day and the drive. We wound up staying long past our meal talking with Alex, learning the interesting history of himself and his restaurant.

Early December of this past year were again on the road, this time driving from Florida to New York. We emailed ahead to Alex, as most nights dinner is by reservation only. We showed up that night an Alex had prepared for us a special vegan thanksgiving. He came out of the kitchen with dish after dish. The food was just so amazing. Its not often in life that something lives up to its memory, but we left the 2nd time even more impressed with Eden's Vegetarian.

I would suggest checking their website for hours as well as contact details if you would like a meal outside of normal hours. I think they do catering too. Both times we visited we just asked Alex to put together a medley of his favorite stuff, and both times we were not disappointed.

Pros: an oasis, great food, friendly chef/owner
mrslaughinghouse
mrslaughinghouse

I'll be back at least once a month...

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2009

I called the restaurant on the Friday before Father's Day. Chef Alex is just as pleasant and kind in person as he is on the phone. Smithfield is about 30+minutes from our home in Raleigh, so we thought. Chef Alex pointed out a short cut to our home accompanied with scenary. That's how cool he is.
Now to the food.
The salad with house dressing was just ridiculously AWESOME! the foccacia bread that accompanied our salad was so tasty. We were offered another slice and readily accepted. My husband is originally from the south (NC) and I'm from Oakland, CA (the bay area). He's a big meat eater, and has been putting up with my new vegan lifestyle. Thanks to Alex's cooking, he's considering becoming more vegetarian. My hubby ordered the vegetarian lasagne with string bean casserole. His first bite of the lasagne and he was amazed. I ordered the vegan barbeque ribs with rice n' peas and broccoli n' carrots. My hubby kept taking meat off my plate and asking over and over again, "that's not meat?" Chef Alex's food prep is awesome and you can tell that he enjoys what he's doing. God's blessings to him and his family as he continues to prepare healthy foods for us all. We have vowed to returned at least once a month.
Lastly, the food was inexpensive. You spend more money at Applebee's, Fridays, etc. not including the extra time to the gym and poor health. We can all help the health care system by treating ourselves to fine dining like Eden's Vegetarian Dining and Catering.

Pros: Personal Service, Best Vegan/Vegetarian International Food, Economical Pricing
Cons: Wish it was closer to my home
cmonetomas
cmonetomas

Great Food

4 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2009

I found this restaurant on my new iphone app "Vegout". My partner & I tried it last night and the food was fantastic!
The chef Alex is wonderful, the place is cozy & the food is wonderful. All of my tastebuds came alive. We both had salads with the "house dressing". The salad was fresh & crisp & the dressing was awesome. Both of us also ordered the sample platter so we could experience everything he had to offer. There was plenty of food & it was all delicious. The ribs were out of this world. Curry chicken...great, 3 bean curry stew...wonderful. We had about 5 different dishes & each taste was totally different & equally good. We just made the transition to vegetarian this year & it gets a little boring when u don't have access to different places like you would in larger cities. I live only 30 minutes from here & I know it will be a weekly favorite. I would recommend this place to anyone who craves good food. The prices were reasonable & did I mention the ribs were a hit. He was also featured in Raleigh's "Triangle" magazine this month. If you're in the area shopping, passing through on 95, or just coming to Smithfield to visit Eden's; it is so worth the trip. Very easy to get to off of 95. I was very impressed & I wish I could get him to move to Wilson.

calhattrick
calhattrick

Serendipity on the road

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2009

On the long road from Boston to Hilton Head, we're passing through Smithfield and need lunch. Okay, we'd carried an old listing of vegetarian restaurants in the car trunk, remembered someplace in Smithfield, NC ... had to ask around a bit, locals not too certain it was still there. But lo' and behold, it is. And it's worth it. What a delightful surprise! Alex is exactly as others describe him, and so's his food. Normally I'm not a great fan of gluten shaped into meat substitutes: but his "ribs" were remarkable! The corn bread: smashing. The saffron rice and veggies: happy-making. The menu didn't seem germane: he seated us and told us what he was serving. Worked for us, may not for you. But I hope it does. It's worth a detour or a stop just to sample this guy's work, holed up in a small town and making food better than many of us in larger cities don't get to taste very often.

Breezy
Breezy

Amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2008

On our way back from Florida, we wanted to find somewhere that was close to I-95 to stop and eat, so I chose this place. I am so glad that I did. Alex (the chef) was so kind to us and accomadating! He opened for us for dinner, and served up the most delicious meals in those parts of hick-town. My dad had the bbq and I had the curry chicken which was delicious. The salad with the house-dressing was so fresh and tasty. I wish I lived closer, because I would definitely go back there more often. The dining room was absolutely gorgeous as well as the location. It was so nice. Probably the best I've been to so far. Check it out if along your way on 95 through NC.

Pros: Delicious, Beautiful dining room, Nice chef
gaijin89
gaijin89

Wonderful Sunday Dining Experience

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2008

If you are vegetarian this place is not to be missed. The restaurant is in an older Southern home in the middle of Smithfield NC. The owner/cook/host Alex is so friendly and hospitable. He is great! We tried everything he cooked today including a salad with the house dressing which was strawberry grape (delicious) and two different kinds of breads (focaccia and corn bread), tamales, veggie meat loaf, mac and cheese, collard greens, veggie lasagna, rice and beans, veggie barbecue. We had a sampler plate and it was out of this world tasty delicious!! We can't say enough of the food and Alex. We will definitely go back. In fact we wouldn't mind going every couple of weeks. It's that good. Oh and the homemade lemonade too with a hint of lime in it. Refreshing! Alex also gave us a glass of sparkling grape juice which was great too.

Pros: Friendly host/cook, Great food, nice atmosphere
Munchi-chi
Munchi-chi

What a treasure!

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2008

I travel a lot for work and before I head out I always check out Happy Cow. How surprised I was to see an all veg restaurant on my way to Fayetteville from Greenville in this small town of Smithfield! I really hope the local people there know & appreciate what an awesome restaurant this is. Alex (chef/owner) is very friendly and was happy to describe the menu choices for the day. I had the BBQ Soy-Ribs served over rice pilaf and veggies on the side. Very tasty. I highly recommend if you do not live there that this worth the stop if you are passing through.

Pros: $7.95 lunch, great value
wilderness
wilderness

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2008

On our way up 95, I happened to check for the off-chance that I might find a vegetarian restaurant on the way. I was surprised to learn of Eden's as I had never heard of Smithfield before. Luckily, it's right off of exit 90 or 93 on I-95. It was actually pretty easy to find. Alex (who along with his wife seems to run everything and wait on tables) greeted us when we walked in and explained a bit of what food they had and his philosophy. I guess during the week they have a menu but on Sunday there were a couple specials, of which we were informed. I ordered the BBQ "ribs" and my husband had the curry "chicken", which came with rice and beans, mixed greens, a delicious salad and fresh-baked foccia bread. The BBQ Ribs are out-of-this-world and the portions are generous, and the prices are very reasonable. We were completely stuffed and satisfied all the way home to Delaware. The house raspberry vinaigrette is very light and fresh, and everything was perfectly prepared. The herbal iced tea is also delicious. I couldn't find one fault with the restaurant. It's worth a little out of the way trip or advanced planning if you're heading through on 95 to stop at Eden's, and it's nice to help support wonderful people making delicious veggie food in the heart of pork country. Also, the restaurant is housed in a very elegant restored Victorian house--nice atmosphere.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly chef, Reasonable prices
Cons: Far away
myHania
myHania

Wow! A refreshing place in the middle of BBQ land!

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2006

Alex is great. Excellent food served by a man on a mission to bring great tasting vegetarian food to a world in need of just that! We had a group there for my Mom's birthday dinner and everyone, even the non- vegetarians in the group thought this was the "BEST"!
Alex really gets around too! Last year our church had a Valentine's Banquet that Alex catered. He did an excellent job with the meal and all talked for weeks about how good the food and the whole experience was. The other review hits it on the head with the description of the classic atmosphere of dining in an elegantly decorated old Victorian house. All in all, for both the food and the atmosphere it's hard to beat! If you have a little time on your hands for a meal, you'll walk away from this dining experience feeling great. Don't rush the experience! Enjoy the great food and a nice chat with Alex while your there.

Pros: Reasonable price, Elegant atmosphere, Excellent food
Cons: Difficult to locate

Dear Owner and Manager of Eden's Vegetarian Dining and Catering: