CLOSED: Eden Vegetarian Cafe

Seasonal, all vegan restaurant in a 120-year old renovated house in Mt. Desert Island near Acadia National Park. Features world vegetarian flavors made from locally grown organic ingredients. Some gluten-free and soy-free options. Reservations are not required but are suggested if you know you're going. New location since summer 2011. SHUT DOWN DEC 2013, CONFIRMED BY ITS WEBSITE MESSAGE. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, International, Beer/Wine
321 Main St (Edgewood St)
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
207-288-4422

Open May thru October Mon-Sat 5pm-9pm, closed Sun.

First Review by massta
trematode
trematode

I dream of Eden

5 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

The Eden Vegetarian Cafe was our last stop on our USA vacation. I was not disappointed.

The restaurant sits in a quaint older house. We were seated upstairs. The room was bright and welcoming and the staff were friendly.

I splurged and got a blueberry martini. Very tall bread with a homemade vegan butter was brought out. The boyfriend I split the fried cauliflower appetizer. I opted for the BBQ tempeh steak with potato salad and greens. I am not a huge fan of tempeh but decided to give it a try. The sauce on the tempeh was amazing. I loved it. I sneaked a taste of the boyfriend's seitain steak and it was great as well.

For dessert, I opted for the tres leches and the boyfriend got the peanut butter cup. I expected the tres leches to be more authentic, but it was moist and delicious. The peanutbutter cup was just awesomeness.

This was the most expensive meal I have eaten, but it was well worth it. I highly recommend it to any vegetarians or vegans visiting Bar Harbour. I wish I lived closer.

Pros: delicious food, lovely atmosphere
Cons: expensive
elephantelizabeth
elephantelizabeth

Awesome!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

Such a nice surprise in Bar Harbor! It reminded me of my favorite restaurant in my hometown, Garden Grille, and was probably even better! I still dream of the meal I had here. And the dessert... my family and I ordered four out of the five desserts and all four were delicious! Our waitress was very patient with us, as we are awful deciders, and did not mind that we were the last ones in the restaurant. I also loved the location, past all of the tourist stops you reach a quaint little house and inside is Eden! Wish it was closer to me!!

Pros: Staff, Dinner, dessert, Nice vibe
Cons: Not in Rhode Island!!!
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

A Bar Harbor treat

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

We were very pleased with this restaurant; great tasting and well presented food. I decided to make a reservation before we left for Bar Harbor and although the restaurant was busy, it was not overly busy. We split the appetizer - the Fried Korean Cauliflower -excellent. For the main, I had the Grilled Seitan Steak which I enjoyed. They have a good selection of beers and the local one we had was very good. Cheesecake and coffee finished off the meal. It was unfortunate they are not open on Sundays since we would have gone there again.

Pros: Great vegan food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff
VegMomma
VegMomma

fabulous vegan dining!

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

Eden is a great restaurant. Everything is vegan. We love that they have a seasonal menu and they support local/organic farms. Eden is a fairly fancy restaurant but they are very kid-friendly. We've taken our toddler son there the past few years (we always go right when they open) and they are so kind to him. He always finds something good on the kids menu and we all love the desserts. It is fairly expensive so this past summer we only ate there once--but it is totally worth it. We will definitely go back next time we are in Bar Harbor. I just wish they were open for lunch!

veganhelen
veganhelen

Great restaurant!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

Although Eden was a bit expensive, it was worth it! The food was great, and i got a peanut butter moose cake for dessert that was awesome. My friend who usually doesn't like vegan meals was raving about a pesto pasta dish she had there, saying it was the best pesto she's ever eaten. If I lived closer I would go there all the time!

Pros: Great good, good location, friendly staff
Cons: expensive
massta
massta

Perfect

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

This dinner really topped off our vacation in Bar Harbor. The setting is a home turned restaurant with a clean natural wood feel with colorful walls and glass paintings. The staff was very informative about the meals and history of the establishment. We considered this place fine dinning and the prices showed but was worth every penny. Wish it was closer to my home!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Eden Vegetarian Cafe: