Eden Alley Cafe

Restaurant at the lower level of Unity Temple on the historic plaza. Offers an extensive menu that includes vegetarian, vegan, raw, soy-free, and gluten-free food with brunch served on Saturday. See website for menus. Has wifi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, International, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering

First Review by nychippie
swhyte2020
swhyte2020

Loved it!

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

Just went there today and it was great! I went there for lunch and had the sweet potato burrito, and I came back later for a brownie for dessert. The food was really delicious, and incredibly filling.

The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu (which I think changes from time to time). There is plenty to eat for vegans, and those on a gluten-free, raw, or soy-free diet. Everything's vegetarian so that's excellent.

The location is right near the plaza. It has a open atmosphere, high ceilings. There's also a play area for children.

I highly recommend coming here if you're in town.

Pros: Good food, Friendly Staff, Cool Atmosphere
PennyU
PennyU

Great Food

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

Eden Alley is a great vegetarian cafe with many vegan options. You could eat there many times and not order the same meal. We recently enjoyed a barbeque veggie burger special and a grilled tofu sandwich. Both were very good and filling. The host and waiter were attentive and friendly. They offer Saturday brunch and Friday evening is Date Night.

Pros: Very good food, Many vegan choices, Unique atmosphere
luma
luma

Yummmm

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2013

We sat on the patio, shaded by giant, old trees. Service was great and the menu varied and affordable. The food was well presented and delicious. Interesting beverages, too.

Pros: great food, pleasant atmosphere, good staff
RayRoberts
RayRoberts

Simply Great

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

One of the best (if not the outright best) places in the city for vegetarian fare. Great menu selection and options for gluten free and vegan options for items that are not already GF or Vegan. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Some outside seating which is nice. Unique atmosphere as it is in the basement of Unity Temple on the Plaza, so may be a little tough to find but well worth it.

Pros: Great food, lots of options for menu items-vegan, GF, wonderful staff
Cons: may be a little tough to find
RunningCUTIE
RunningCUTIE

Amazing!

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

I was in town visiting friends, who suggested this place. I had the most amazing smoky avocado salad; the flavors were excellent, it was well-put together, and it was full of many healthy ingredients. I couldn't have asked for a better meal, truly. None of my friends are even vegetarian (I'm vegan and gluten free), but they all loved their meals. Everyone left full and totally satisfied. I also split a piece of avocado cake (also vegan and gluten free) and we both loved it.

I appreciated that everything was labeled on the menu; it was very easy to know what I could or couldn't eat. The waitress was very friendly and gave spot on recommendations. The food was fabulous; I would go back regularly if I lived in Kansas City!

Pros: Great Food, Well-labeled menu, Lots of choices

agriot
agriot

Sinfully delicious;)

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2012

Had lunch here when I was in town for the Kansas City Storytelling Festival. The waiter recommended the tacos which were yummy. Neither of my two friends are vegetarian and they enjoyed their meals immensely. For dessert we had the sinfully delicious triple chocolate cake (I don't think that's what it's called but I like the name:). It was too, too good!

Pros: yummy, friendly folks
Cons: Washrooms seemed inaccessible for wheelc
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Glad to hear it's changing; was not impressed

3 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

I went to Eden Alley 2 or 3 times a few years ago. I was definitely not impressed and only went back when other people really wanted to go there.

I'm glad to hear it's changed/changing lately, because the layout was tacky and they served fish on the menu, despite calling themselves 'vegetarian'.

The other part I found annoying was this: they had a some kind of Hare Krishna affiliation at that time, and those people get offended whenever vegans ask if something is vegan. "It is all blessed by Krishna" doesn't tell me if it's vegan, but that reply tells you they're offended that you are questioning their food. It became a chore to find out what was vegan.

There was one girl who worked there at that time who would let us ask what was vegan, but I never much cared for the place. The food wasn't great, it was a 'veg' restaurant with fish on the menu, and I didn't like the "don't ask what's vegan" vibe I got.

From reading the reviews, it's changing a lot lately; I also looked at their website, and that seems to be true. I hope that's the case; it might be worth going by, if you're in the area, and investigating.

However, in 2005-2006, I was not impressed at all.

Pros: Vegetarian
Cons: Hard to find, Difficult staff
JenK6
JenK6

Standard Veg Fare

3 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2011

Went here while on vacation. This place can be tricky to find since it's under the Unity church. I sat outside on their patio since the weather was perfect. The chairs are quite comfy and the garden atmosphere is quite lovely. Our waitress was super nice, a little too exuberant and chatty but I'll take that over grumpy. The agave butter that comes with the bread is just genius. The vegan bread, sourdough, didn't pair that well with the butter. I had the in-house made veggie burger, which was very good but a little too thin in relation to the bun size. Thicker patties please! I also had a side salad that was pretty standard. I ordered a slice of vegan chocolate mocha cake to go and it was rather disappointing. It was pretty dry and the frosting was too thin, I ended up pouring a little almond milk on it to make it more palatable (I hate wasting food). Overall, it was good/okay and I would go back to try other items on the menu. My mom went with me but didn't order vegan, she ordered the egg salad and loved it. So much so she went back a second time by herself.

Pros: Garden Patio Seating, Friendly Waitress, Dog Friendly
Cons: Lacking in vegan dessert options
VgnCupcake
VgnCupcake

Delish

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2011

I have been to Eden Alley several times. Every time I go I am blown away by not only the quality but the quantity of food. My non-veg friend love it too. Desserts are amazing. My fav entree is the Raul's Potato Burrito hold the cheese and substitute cashew cheeze. For dessert the raw carrot and coconut tart

Pros: Delish, Great ambiance, Friendly staff
Cons: a little pricy
alexsummer123
alexsummer123

Great child play area!

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

My daughter loves to go to Eden Alley, not to eat- but to play! The child play area is incredibly convenient. Bringing a toddler to a restaurant can be extrememly difficult, so I really appreciate the kid-friendly atmosphere. Unfortunately, several of the dishes are prepared with honey, which I don't eat. However, it is great to be able to replace cheese on almost any item with the Cashew Cheese!

Pros: creative dishes
Cons: a tad bit overpriced
leireceleste
leireceleste

To be vegetarian...

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2011

I visited this restaurant a few days ago for the first time. I was amazed by the service,an excellent meal and dessert. Overall an awesome place to visit.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
harumi
harumi

Yum!

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

Great atmosphere, very friendly staff, quick service. It was my first time there. Had the falafel and it was SO good. Also had some lovely chocolate ganache. Love how vegan-friendly and adaptable the menu choices are. Went with an omni friend who enjoyed the tacos very much. Would definitely go again if I lived closer.

Special note: Agnostics and atheists need not be put off by its location adjacent to a Unity Center. The keyword is "unity." Unity is based in New Thought teachings. They neither preach nor proselytize and believe in living in harmony with all; regardless of background or belief system (however differing) :)

Pros: great food, good atmosphere
Cons: pricey (worth it for organic, local tho)
lexuslover
lexuslover

LOVE LOVE LOVE

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2010

Eden Alley was my very first vegetarian/vegan restaurant and can I just say was/ am very impressed.
I first tried their Sweet potato burrito and then the next day I got their mushroom loaf, then I got it again and the following day and progressed to their Veggie burger.
I guess my point is that even picky eaters will enjoy this resturant. the atmosphere is very calming and the food i wonderful the service is also on point... I guess that's the reason I'm hooked :)

Pros: customer service, Great food, nice atmosphere
Cons: sort of hidden
deannafitzgerald
deannafitzgerald

Very pleasant experience

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2010

I really enjoyed my evening in Kansas City because of this place. They have an unusual vegan butter which I found was Earth Balance sweetened with a little agave on fresh bread. The menu is creative and changes nightly. I had a quinoa with greens and white grapes which was magnificent and some kind of delightful chocolate dessert. I'm surprised at the reviews that made an issue out of it being in a church. I'm not a church-goer, but first of all, it's Unity church which, if you don't know, is not your typical church-they're not going to be chasing you down with pamphlets or anything. Second, if you were blindfolded until you got to your table, you'd never know you were in a church. This is a restaurant, ignore the building. And if you're not intimidated by the word "church", there's a very nice bookstore on the other side of the building with primarily eastern spiritual philosophies. And they won't chase you down with pamphlets over there either.

DrHeartless
DrHeartless

Best vegan and vegetarian food in Kansas City

5 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2010

I cannot say enough good things about Eden Alley. Located in the Plaza area Eden Alley welcomes you right away with its open and visually interesting decor. The staff is always cheerful, helpful and ready to answer any question. This makes it the best place to take new vegetarians and vegans or your meat eating friends and family. The food is amazing! They feature a good number of stable dishes such as veggie burgers and veggie tacos, as well as a new and exciting daily special items. The menu is clear and easy to understand with vegan or how to make vegan items clearly marked as a few items do have cheese or honey. Everything is expertly prepared and full of flavor. Desert is Eden Alley's crown jewel. Their cakes, pies, and bars are crazy good. If you are there on a day they have the Mexican chocolate orange cake get it!

Pros: crazy good food, awesome staff, cool decor
Cons: parking can be hard, Tricky to find
Prose
Prose

My Favorite Place

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2010

I love Eden Alley! The menu changes all the time and always has plenty of vegan, raw, and gluten-free choices. Everything I have tried is delicious, especially the vegan desserts, and the portions are quite generous. The service is friendly, and you get to see an eclectic mix of patrons.

Pros: Delicious food, Great variety, Portion sizes
Cons: Lacking ambience, Location is easy to miss
ochibawolf
ochibawolf

Not churchy at all - great food!

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2009

As an atheist, I wasn't thrilled about going to eat inside a church. But WOW this place is worth it. First off, it's hard to find if you don't live in KC. If you go in the front entrance, head down a flight of stairs and wa-la! There is Eden alley. A true Eden within a church. I love the atmosphere! The food my fiance and I ordered was fantastic. The hummus is to die for. As vegans, this place had a great menu that told you exactly what is vegan and what isn't and almost all menu items can be made vegan, or have vegan substitute. They even have cashew cheeze! Despite all the other reviews, if you in town, go check out this place - and don't forget to order a vegan dessert! (They have a GREAT vegan chocolate and peanut butter cake =D)

Pros: Vegan desserts, organic and local , easy to identify what's vegan on menu
Cons: located in a church, hard to find if first time visiting , small hot tea pots
pattydebellis
pattydebellis

One dish is never enough

4 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

Prices here are a little high, but the portions make it worth it. Whenever we go, we can never choose one dish. We always have to choose their "can't decide-pick three" option. I have had/tasted the tamales, the lasagna, the sweet potato burritos, the soup, the sandwiches. I've yet to be disappointed. There are so many offerings I want to try, I can't pick one thing.

vegantraveler
vegantraveler

Its in a Church???

3 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

Well at least they are trying:) I liked the chocolate waffle and mash potatoes. It did look like they had some good deserts. But I must say I was just here for breakfast. Why I was eating mash potatoes for breakfast I don't remember, I'm just a sheeptard anyway. So I'm guessing its better for dinner. Basically, if you live in KC go here if you don't, don't travel 4 hours or more to get here.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Not that great for vegans

3 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2007

I appreciate what they are trying to do, but I should have known when it was inside a church it wouldn't be up to my par. The menu is not that expansive. (plenty of eggs for you chicken killers) The food is so so. I really hate to be hard on any place that has vegan on the menu. The staff is nice, but its really not worth the visit. I only took a few bites of my brunch and opted to consume my calories elsewhere. It did look like they had a nice selection of vegan desserts. Give them a shot if you're an adventurous vegan and add another review.

Pros: some vegan food, vegan desserts, nice staff
Cons: bland food, smell, eggs galore
  • pattydebellis pattydebellis

I didn't think that it was part of or under a church was all that imposing. There's a completely separate entrance, the servers do no preach to you, and the only place where there is anything spiritual is in the bookstore. But, even then, they have multiple religions and spiritualities represented in there as well as things that have NOTHING to do with religion. I think you might be over-sensitive.

PuppyGirl
PuppyGirl

Great, filling food.

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2007

I visit Eden Alley often and enjoy it every time. I am surprised by the reviewer below that said you would need 5 entrees to feel full, because neither me nor my husband can typically finish one entree. The serving sizes are generous and you can order 1/2 sizes (which I usually do because I love their salads so much). I have not seen chicken on the menu in a very long time and have not noticed fish for quite some time, either. I go there knowing that I have my pick of the menu, unlike most other places in KC (or elsewhere). I've been to veg restaurants in other areas of the nation and I think Eden Alley is at the top of the list for great veg food.

The only thing that I have ever felt was not great about the place was the ambiance (they are in the basement of the Unity church), but they have recently redecorated and it's really given the place a lift.

Pros: Portion sizes, Flavorful food, Friendly service
nychippie
nychippie

not bad for kansas city

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2007

for kansas city this is an improvement! nice eclectic atmosphere as its right off of the plaza! has interesting options and a good vegan selection for kansas city.

Pros: clean atmosphere, healthy options, good value
Cons: slow wait staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Eden Alley Cafe: