Non-profit ecological shop and 100% raw food restaurant built with non-toxic products. Supports sustainable living, education, local businesses and farmers. Uses purified water in food preparation. Shop sells juicers, dehydrators, books, and more. Un-cooking classes offered last Sunday of month 3-5pm followed by a raw vegan potluck at 5:30pm. Free lectures every Tuesday 6:30pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, All Raw, Organic, American, Juice bar, Beer/Wine
2409 Lyndale Ave S (24th St, Twin Cities)
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55405
612-874-7336

Open Mon-Thur, Sun 9am-10pm, Fri-Sat 9am-11pm.

First Review by r.matey
olldock
olldock

Great food and dining experience

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

I am vegetarian and attempt to keep most days vegan. The idea of raw and vegan intrigued me. I was completely amazed at the presentation, taste, and quality of dishes at Ecopolitan. The server was helpful in guiding choices. The raw carob and blueberry pie for dessert was exceptional. The juice bar selections were great to accompany the meal. I plan to become a regular patron and look forward to the variety of dishes through the seasons.

Pros: Quality of food, Variety / creativity in dishes, Service
Cons: Stark atmosphere, Parking
schel112
schel112

Best place ever!

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

I've been here about a dozen times, and it's always fabulous. Chili 'cheese' burrito is by far my favorite. The banana parfait is a close second.

Pros: Excellent food
thebeardedcarrot
thebeardedcarrot

Amazing food!

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2013

We had the chili cheese burrito and pesto pizza. I was blown away at how flavorful everything was. They're juice was also incredible. This place was great.

Pros: all raw , vegan, awesome juice
sagasandstars
sagasandstars

Only all vegan in town.

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

This place is amazing! Best cashew cheese roll ever!
We have never been disappointed with our food. Fresh, healthy tasty, and prepared to perfection!

Pros: Vegan, Raw, Eclectic atmosphere
bruble
bruble

• raw

what a nice find!

3 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2013

Food was unbelievable, service pleasant, the ambiance earthy and quite enjoyable. Can't wait to come back and try something new!

Pros: delicious, clean, healthy
Cons: none
no whey!
no whey!

Raw yum

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

So i'm a non-raw vegan, and I went here with my mostly vegetarian friend and we looooved their food. I rarely get dessert when I go out (maybe because veg desserts are hard to come by), but we ordered crazy spicy wheatgrass shots, an appetizer, meals, AND dessert. And a bloody mary. Everything on the menu sounded good, and everything we tried was insanely good. This place was busy, but managing the crowd well. Lots of tables had kids and skeptics and grandparents, and everyone seemed impressed with their orders. It was understandably priced, given the quality of the ingredients. I would totally recommend Ecopolitan

Pros: Spicy shots, Desserts, ALL dishes are good
Montejarvis
Montejarvis

Ecopolitan is delicious

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

Ecopolitan is delicious. I love their smoothies and juice bar. The recipes they have are flavorful and nourishing.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Flavorful food, Always vegan, gluten free, and raw
Cons: Some find it spendy
KyeClare
KyeClare

Accommodating

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

The food was pretty good, it's not for everyone's taste.They have really good smoothies. They are very accommodating, I have a walnut allergy, and when I mentioned it to them they directed me to choices on the menu without walnuts and the options that allowed substitutions.

Pros: friendly staff, accommodating, raw vegan
Cons: not for picky eaters
steveveg
steveveg

Vegan live food

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2012

We had dinner recently at Ecopolitan. We always eat there when in Minneapolis and have never been disappointed. This time we had a Savory Cassorole and Falafel Wraps. All were quite good. Desserts were excellent: a fig newton, coconut cream pie and pumpkin pie. Service was quite attentive and timely.

Pros: vegan, live
earthville
earthville

Highest quality food in the Twin Cities

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Ecopolitan serves fresh, vital, well prepared, and really delicious food. Service was exceptionally good, too -- warm and helpful, with just the right amount of attention. The "taco salad" is surprisingly good. And there's a very tempting selection of fancy desserts.

I really can't complain about any aspect of Ecopolitan. I give it 5 cows on every count except value for money, which is about 4 cows. It's really high-quality food, prepared with care and skill, so it definitely deserves to be priced above the average, but the portions seem just a bit on the small side for the price, making it pricey to fill up, so it feels like a splurge.

My humble suggestion would be for them to offer at least 3 or 4 dishes that that offer more generous portions at more reasonable prices. It isn't necessary to lower the price of every dish on the menu, but adding a few more affordably filling dishes would be very welcome.

Pros: Excellent food - tasty and fresh, Great service, Menu has good variety
Cons: If you're quite hungry, it can be pricey
TillieGarafola
TillieGarafola

Food description does not match food received

3 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

The menu described full entrees and wholesome meals, what we received after ordering the Mac n Cheese and the Rawvioli, was not what we had anticipated. Both meals were served over lettuce and the food described was actually only 30% of the entire dish the rest was lettuce "filler".

Pros: healthy food, Delicious Juices, Fresh food
Cons: Over priced, Incorrectly described, Slow prep time
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good Raw Option

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2012

I thought that the Ecopolitan was very good; however, I felt that everything was abit pricey, I say that even factoring in the higher cost of raw/organic food. In Chicago we have places just as expensive but the portions are larger; with that said, I think quantity or prices can improve at the Ecopolitan.

We ordered the Tostadas (yummy!), veggies and ranch dip appetizer (good, but you get so little for ($6)), and the Thai Noodle dish (yuck - this tasted like soap). We actually mentioned that the Thai dish tasted like soap and the waitress did not hesitate to ask us if we wanted something different, so we opted for a raw pizza (100% better). Overall we were pleased with our meal; although service was a little slow, she did make up for it by replacing our meal.

tsneed
tsneed

Enjoyed the food & atmosphere

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2012

Despite what some are writing in the reviews here, I found the staff to be quite friendly and helpful. My husband ordered the pesto pizza with the faux sausage, and I had the macaroni and cheese. While we liked both, I think the pizza was especially good and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried raw before. I had a vanilla and almond smoothie--yum! We also had the ice cream parfait. We were very stuffed when we left. It is true that the food is expensive, but I don't know how it can be anything but, given that everything is organic and that they are using expensive ingredients like nuts. (Note: This restaurant is very tiny and they often have just one cook and one waitress on staff so if they suddenly get busy, a customer may have to be patient. In our case, the restaurant wasn't particularly busy and we were served right away.)

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, very filling
Maveric123
Maveric123

Great Food

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2012

I have read some of the negative reviews and I kind of know where the reviewers are coming from, but I also think the approach by the customers makes a difference. And overall the food is great and it's worth dealing with any drawbacks. At first blush, it seemed like the wait staff was a bit uninterested, but once I engaged them and seemed excited about the food (which I was!) the server responded in kind. I then had a great experience. Should it be the responsibility of the diner to set the tone? No, but then again I'm not a believer in a passive experience and I was not willing to be unhappy. Anyway, nothing can take away from the fact that the food was really good and I appreciate vegan restaurants. I am also willing to put up with a lot to avoid animal cruelty. I will definitely go back.

Pros: great food, nice ambiance, Vegan!
Cons: somewhat disinterested staff
jrfishe1
jrfishe1

Fantastic, flavorful, raw cuisine!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

I was pretty amazed with the food here. Everything we tried was extremely flavorful, from the cashew "cheeze" log to the eco-sausage pizza, to the green burrito. The prices were quite reasonable for raw food, the servers were nice, and the food was just fantastic. The juices were excellent as well.

roblock
roblock

non-willing to engage wait staff

2 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2012

We had (2) juicing drinks and (2) smoothies which were excellent & delicious yet a bit on the expensive side. Our wait person seemed to have zero social skills and if she did it certainly was not apparent. Her actions towards us or better put lack of was something along the lines of next time send you money along yet you can stay home - an all-mightier than thou type of energy.

Pros: delicious, filling, nutritious
Cons: non-engaging
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Many, many positives

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

Traveling through Minneapolis, I am really happy that my companions and I decided to make our one restaurant Ecopolitan.

Raw food is my absolute favourite and Ecopolitan offers just about all that one could hope for with a nice assortment of food (all organic), and drink (great smoothies, juices and organic wines) plus a good deal of products and raw food elements in their on-site shop.

Among our party of three, we ordered the 'raw'violi, the taco pizza and, listed on the menu, the 'surprise entree' for my friend who was overwhelmed with choice and couldn't decide.

The rawvioli, which I ordered, was okay. It consisted of cashew 'mush' sandwiched between what seemed like a thinly sliced root. There were 4-5 of these rawvioli pieces resting atop a nice salad. Unfortunately, the mix of these two elements wasn't overly tasty. Still, it was a good, filling, healthy meal. The taco pizza was enjoyed by everyone who tasted it; slightly spicy, light but filling and, again, healthy. The surprise entree was a bowl of zucchini pasta with a mix of fresh vegetables, lightly marinated. My friend, who ordered it, couldn't stop raving about how delicious it was. Based on the bite I took, it was very good.

For desert we each ordered a slice of pie from their display fridge. Everything in there looked amazing and what we tasted confirmed it!

I have somewhat of a hard time giving a 5 cow rating to a restaurant where I didn't particularly enjoy my entree but, considering all of the positives that come to mind beyond the taste of my meal - such as: amazing smoothies, organic wines, all day breakfast, free off-street parking, their own organic vegetable garden, the eco-shop, community involvement, etc. - I can't resist giving them the highest marks.

Ecopolitan truly is an excellent restaurant.

Pros: All organic, Very healthy, Health/eco shop on site
Cons: Somewhat expensive, Limited seating, Food isn't exceptional
LilyBlue
LilyBlue

I've been there many times...

4 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2011

As far as I know, Ecopolitan is the only raw food restaurant in Minnesota. For that reason, I love it. I bring friends and family to the Ecopolitan. I'm a vegetarian who loves raw meals and wants to support the wonder that is raw cuisine. Still. I have left Ecopolitian disappointed. If you go and don't enjoy your meal, don't discount the restaurant or raw food. I've had the most fantastic meals ever at Ecopolitan (80% of the time, great) and I've had really poor quality and because of that, over-priced meals. The service is a bit uninspired and slow. I can handle slow but in a place like this, I would like my server to care about the food.

Still, I would say try it! Ask questions before you order. And try a few things... appetizer or juice or dessert AND an entree. If you go with someone, share the entree and get an appetizer or two.

Update: 8/2011 I recently enjoyed a wonderful Ecopolitan meal with a friend. The service was much better than it was in the past. We both really enjoyed our food and juice.

Pros: unique, raw, usually quality
Cons: slow service, sometimes hit or miss
veganlogger
veganlogger

Only Go There If You Have Time...

2 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2011

As the only all-vegan and only raw restaurant in Minnesota, Ecopolitan has a lot to live up to. The first time I went, I only got juice. It was expensive and took a long time, but tasty.
The second time I went, I went with two friends who are omnivores. We all got juice, and one friend vehemently hated her carrot juice. Too bad it was $6. I got the rawvioli, which was good, but I don't think I would pay $15 for it. The service was horribly, and we all thought the server was incredibly rude. There was an air of superiority that we did NOT like.

I'll probably go back, because its the only place to get raw food, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to a friend unless he/she already knows that he/she likes raw food, and is willing to sit for four hours and drop $20 on lunch.

Pros: All vegan, Healthy
Cons: Long wait
veganchick80
veganchick80

Great Food! Highly Recommended!

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2010

I've only eaten here a few times, and I loved everything that I had. They have really great smoothies and the hummus and flax crackers are just divine. Last time I was there I had the burger and for dessert a slice of coconut pie and both were really good. As a vegan it's nice to try something new and also support a local business and the only all vegan establishment in the Twin Cities. I always leave here feeling good because the food options are so healthy. The only downfall is that it's very pricey to eat here and the portions are on the small side. This isn't a place I can eat often because it always ends up being so much, but it is a nice special treat and I'm never disappointed. I've also had really excellent service everytime regardless of how many other patrons were there.

Pros: Healthy Cuisine, Friendly Staff, Excellent Food
Cons: Very Expensive, Small Portions
happy_vegan
happy_vegan

If you love raw food

3 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2009

I am not new to the vegan food thing. I have been vegetarian for 14 years. The last 8 years of those, I have been vegan. I love food and love to experiement with new food and I went to ecopolitan because it was the only 100% vegan restaurant in Minneapolis and we were here from out of town. Ecopolitan has a lovely atmosphere with a very cozy feel. The servers were vere nice. We opted for sharing a few appetizers. The flax crackers that they serve their dip on seem a little damp. The pine nut nacho cheese that we had was spicy which I like. The salsa and the Guacamole were alright. The cashew cheese log was five crackers and about 1.5 oz of dip for the appetizers, which we ordered a few of instead of having the meals. Overall, I think it's great that this restaurant is completely vegan and I respect that, as a vegan, especially if you are a raw foodist or this would be your first time experimenting with raw food.

Pros: Cozy Atmosphere, Comfortable seating, They sell a few bulk food items
Cons: small portions
mandalay.mooncrystal
mandalay.mooncrystal

Great Food, Slightly Odd Atmosphere

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2009

The food was absolutely fantastic. Also, I was discussing with my relatives who were there why you shouldn't eat honey, and our server was nice enough to let us look at a poster about the subject that they had on the wall. The only thing I didn't like was that the atmosphere was a little weird. For example, our table was a glass disc on a planter, which was filled with dirt and a few seashells. The other thing was that the music was a little uncomfortable. Overall, though, it was a great restaurant.

Pros: Good food, Friendly Staff, Good selection
Cons: Dirtiness/ odd tables, Weird music
smasheasy
smasheasy

Great Food!

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

And our service was fine...the tables outside were packed, and there were 2 other tables inside besides us. No problems.

The organic wine list is great. The food is exceptional! We had the tostada with extra not-cho cheese (fabulous) and the casserole. The description of the casserole on the menu really undersells it. My salad was lovely as well.

I've been vegan for 9 years, vegetarian for 21 before that, but not raw vegan. I can really appreciate the time, work, and effort that goes into creating great raw vegan food. Wish I had an ecopolitan in my neighborhood!!

For dessert, we went downstairs to the oxygen bar!

Pros: Great Recipes, Organic Wine, Nice Location
Cons: a little funky edge (is that a con?)
Alexa
Alexa

A favorite, but could use some improvement.

3 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2009

I love Ecopolitain's all-raw vegan menu, and my experiences here have mostly been good. However, individual menu items can vary greatly depending on the day, season, and whoever is preparing your food. There's usually only one person waiting tables, and they may or may not be preparing some or all of your food as well, so service can be slow. The restaurant itself could be cleaner, and the kitchen could be tidier.

That said, I've never ordered food here that I didn't like. Raw food is an interesting concept to most people, and almost every non-vegan or raw person I've brought here to try it out has loved it and asked to come back with me. The only person who wasn't down was a young man who apparently couldn't stomach raw vegetables of any kind.

I recommend the falafel plate, sprouted hummus, and daily pies in particular. They have good take-away items as well, if you check out the fridge and dessert case.

Pros: Healthy, tasty food, All-vegan, all-raw, Unique atmosphere
Cons: Service can be slow, Varying skill of wait-staff and chefs, Iffy seating and facilies
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Rarity - Great Raw, Organic, Vegan Food

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

Great imaginative menu items. In traveling from Detroit to the northwest, I make it a point to drive through Minneapolis during business hours, so that I can eat at the Ecopolitan. It's that good. Service has always been either great or good, but with this rare treat of a restaurant, who cares about the service? Even if my service had ever been less than good, the food is worth it. Not only is the food unbeatable, the fruit smoothies are the best anywhere. Try the soy milk, banana, almond, vanilla, date smoothie.

brittany
brittany

Raw at it's best!

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

My first raw experience was at Ecopolitan. I was in Minneapolis for 5 days and ate there twice. I was so amazed at what they could do with raw food. The fettucini alfredo is awesome, as well as the tosadas. Definitely worth the cost!

Pros: delicious, doesn't weigh you down
generalamazo
generalamazo

Green Burrito of Goodness!

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2008

Stopped into Ecopolitan on a trip down south. The food was fantastic and one of the best vegetarian meals we have had. The Green burrito was pretty amazing. The staff were excellent.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Location, Friendly Staff
Guest
Guest

Our favorite restaurant of all time

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2008

First, the food is excellent. The quality of the produce is unrivaled anywhere. I don't know how they source so many wonderful organic fruits and veggies year round, but we are never disappointed. If something isn't the best quality, they don't use it. Their recipes (even for the same dishes) are never the same, they change with the seasons to ensure that the quality is good. As far as the price, it is absolutely reasonable, if not a little low, for the quality and quantity of food that you get.

The flavors are unique, diverse, and exciting. I don't understand the person who thought everything tastes the same... must be a smoker or something.

As for the staff, well, it's an experience. Often times the waiter is the person who will be making your food (or at least helping to make it). But, it is slower. Don't expect fast food or chain restaurant speed. That said, service is always friendly and I'd rather have a thoughtful friendly wait person than a fast inattentive one. Oh, and I have never been someplace that is more accommodating to special requests.

Really, there's nothing bad to say. I have taken several meat eaters there, and everyone has left full and satisfied. Just go there with an open mind, and make yourself at home. I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone, it's a true gem of the cities.

Pros: Unique flavors, Excellent quality, Warm atmosphere
Cons: None, Everything is great
condekedar
condekedar

Interesting food, poor service

3 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2007

Ecopolitan is the only pure vegan (and raw) restaurant in Minneapolis, but it's a bit of a let-down. The food is interesting and fairly tasty from what I can tell (I'm not too experienced with raw cuisine), but I found many of the dishes to be indistinguishable from each other. They have a full menu of breakfast, lunch and dinner items with healthy desserts which creates a varied experience. Prices are slightly high ($10-14 range), but reasonable for the novelty value of the food. The service, while mostly friendly, is inattentive, slow and limited. You have to seat yourself and usually there is only one waiter for the whole room. Seating is limited. On a whole, I'm glad Ecopolitan is here, but it has room to improve.

Pros: Pure vegan, Varied menu, Hours
Cons: Service, Limited seating, A bit pricey
wc
wc

bad service, mediocre food

2 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2007

I don't think I've ever had service as bad as that at Ecopolitan. Fifteen minutes for a menu, fifteen more for a wine list, fifteen more for her to take our orders, a hour wait for our bottle of wine, more than that for our meals...all adding up to a dinner that was over three hours. They were out of many things on the menu, so we had to change our order numerous times. There were only two other tables, two people each.

Cons: service, food
r.matey
r.matey

Good food...

3 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2006

Saturday lunchtime visit here. The food was good -- the raw pizza comes on a delicious crackery crust; the casserole had a fascinating combination of tastes. Though there were only a handful of people there, we waited 15 minutes for a table, again for menus, and again for our order to be taken. 30 minutes later our server returned to announce that she'd forgotten to put in our order and forgotten what we'd ordered. When it came time to pay our bill we sought her out after waiting fifteen minutes for our card to be returned.

I understand that the food takes a while to prepare, but there's no excuse for such slow service. Go for the food, but be prepared for possibly a long wait.

Pros: interesting food, unique cuisine
Cons: slow service

Dear Owner and Manager of Ecopolitan:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Minneapolis page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/10/16