CLOSED: Earwax

Serves meat, veg options available. Coffee, soy lattes, veggie burrito, falafel, seitan reuben on rye bread; plenty vegan dishes and desserts. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Good Bye to An Old Friend

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2011

Ok, sure, the place has a disgusting name and may have been closed due to a rat infestation. I don't care at all.

EarWax has been serving vegan food before most people had any idea what vegan was. This place has been open since 1980. I've personally been coming here since the early 90's when it was located just across the street from where it is now. It's kept the same hipster vibe and vegan-friendly menu the entire time. I feel very loyal to a restaurant whose liberal atmosphere made me feel so comfortable and served the only budget-friendly vegan food I could afford at the time. Sure, veg-friendly restaurants are everywhere in Chicago now, but let's not forget an old friend. This is the type of restaurant that set its roots in the community 20 years ago, introduced the neighborhood to veg dining and made it possible for new vegan restaurants like Native Foods to survive and thrive today.

Veg*ns in Chicago, especially Wicker Park and Bucktown, owe a debt of gratitude to EarWax. It's a neighborhood landmark. Old friend, if you are truly closing your doors for the last time, I am sorry to see you go and thank you for your service.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Yuck, never again...

1 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2009

OK, so not only is the food bland here, but it's served in a place that had (or may still have) a rat infestation! I stumbled upon a list of restaurant closures and found this article. Sick! And I even ate there around that time, yuck!

My original review:

Posted on: Sunday, January 27, 2008
Review: Today I had the Veggie Hash, which was pretty good [but I've had better and leftovers aren't as good]. In retrospect, I wish that I had tried one of the seitan dishes, but there's always next time. This is a nice place to eat alone at [or with a group of people].

Cons: Closed down by health inspector
  • peasonearth peasonearth

Hi Synthvegan, Thanks for posting that article. After reading that I think I'll give the place a miss. Just the name of this place makes me squirm!

JulieV
JulieV

Definitely worth trying

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

I really like Earwax. I have heard both good and bad reviews but I think it's a great place! The food is good, the decor is silly and colorful, the staff is friendly.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Cons: small-ish, usually a wait

yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

It's a deal, it's a steal.

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

This place is awesome, plain and simple. I've eaten here for years and can't recall being disappointed once other than a poorly made vegan peanut butter chocolate shake. Sorry guys, but that was weak! However the rest is pretty amazing. I highly recommend the BBQ seitan burrito (vegan optional), the Jamaican jerk salad (vegan, unbelievable), or the black bean burger. The grilled cheese and tomato soup is pretty legit too. To top it off there's a great atmosphere, delightful wait staff, and fairly priced. I will be eating at Earwax for years to come. I love this place!

Pros: Food is incredible., Fairly priced., Friendly staff.
Cons: Can be a wait at times.
AnnaMaus
AnnaMaus

Just can't get with it.

1 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2008

I suppose if I lived in the neighborhood, I'd come for a coffee and to rent movies, but every time I've gone in for a snack, I've regretted it. It's not too expensive and the quality's pretty average, but everything's sorta sloppily thrown together and nothing tastes good. Dishes are quite bland and oversalted. Feh.

Pros: Decent location, Vegan options, Movie rentals downstairs
Cons: Bland, Not a good value, Sloppy
iojove
iojove

Worth a visit

3 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2008

The vegan banana nut pancakes are the best! If you're not in the mood for breakfast food, it's not the most inspired menu, especially for a vegan. However, the staff is really friendly and it's a great place to just sit and chill :-)

Pros: Vegan banana nut pancakes!, Great people
Cons: Limited vegan options
khb
khb

OK, but I wasn't impressed

3 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2008

I was intrigued when my friend who took me here insisted on having dinner at 4:00 PM, and the place was packed. It must be even crazier at peak mealtimes. The "homemade vegan chorizo" in my burrito seemed to be just TVP with some seasonings - the texture was all wrong, from what I know of chorizo (which admittedly isn't much). The burrito was just the TVP and some refried beans - some actual veggies would have been nice, but I guess it was my own dumb fault for not reading the menu closely enough.

Pros: veganizable items clearly marked, and there are a lot of them
Cons: crowded, not really my kind of crowd, food isn't that great
steve dumperth
steve dumperth

great low key place

3 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2008

nice place to discuss liberal ideals. don't show up in nice clothing or you'll feel like "the man", and not in the good sense. great desserts, though. great breakfasts.

Pros: vegan carrot cake
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Not Boring, I had a tastey Veggie Hash

3 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

The place could definitely use a fresh coat of paint, but hey its in hipster (I don't even know what that means) Wicker Park. The vegan veggie hash was amazing (I think the soy sauce did the trick). I didn't expect much from the decor, but it has a good crowd and an ATM near the back. (Its CASH ONLY)

Pros: veggie hash
Cons: cash only

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Earwax: