CLOSED: Earth House

Organic vegetarian restaurant with extensive staff of volunteers. Also features gluten-free foods. Has wifi access. Thursday nights are open mic nights. All ages and smoke free. See website for changes in schedule and events. All food and espresso drinks are vegan. All vegan as of April 2012. Open until 10pm for some big events. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American
237 N East St (east side of downtown Indianapolis)
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
317-636-4060

Open Mon-Fri 7am-9pm, Sat 7am-10pm.

First Review by SKA (SeitanKicksAss)
AllanBarger
AllanBarger

A Happy Find

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

I made a point of visiting this restaurant while attending a Conference in Indianapolis. It was a serendipitous find. The food was very good and the staff friendly. The staff were not aware of a "forks over knives" type of eating, but willingly modified a vegan dish to reduce the oil they typically used. I had lunch their and would have considered returning for another meal had my schedule allowed. Personally, I find this place more a lunch than dinner experience, but not having actually been there for dinner, I could be wrong.
Be aware Earth House is located in the back room (fellowship hall?) of a church building so it makes it easy to find on one hand, but may make you a bit hesitant to enter since it is a church. Go around to the side for the restaurant entrance. You won't be sorry.

Pros: Vegan, Many options, Friendly
Cons: A little funky
kaduhacissej
kaduhacissej

Undecided

3 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

I drug my omni husband here for my birthday dinner. I wanted to support the only all-veg place in town finally. It's located in a church, so it's a bit hard to find and somewhat weird. It was open mic night, so the cafe had a few performers and their friends, and that's about it. It was a bit awkward feeling. We went to the cafe, and were apparently standing in the wrong place to order, because the guy behind the counter would not even acknowledge our presence until we went to the right place. There was no signage so we had no idea where we should be standing. Once we got to the right place he was attentive and super nice. I wanted the jerk sandwich, but they were out, so I ordered the beanball sub with a chai. Husband ordered the gyro. The beanball sub came with barely any sauce, so it was a bit dry, but it had good flavor. The chai was delicious. Husband's gyro made me jealous. He thoroughly enjoyed it and I liked it more than my sub. I'd go back, but more for lunch time probably. I wasn't digging the evening atmosphere there.

Pros: Yum, Chai, Gyro
Cons: Questionable service, Seems to run out often, Awkward vibe
KatieFucito
KatieFucito

Not what we expected...

2 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

On our trip from Chicago to Nashville, my husband and I stopped here for lunch. First of all, it was very difficult to find. When we finally got in, I was disappointed in the extremely small menu and they were even out of things which made the options even fewer. The menu included stuff like PB&J. Are you serious? Anyway, my husband got the gyro which was pretty good but they gave him tortilla chips on the side without any kind of salsa or dip - kinda boring and pointless. I got the TLT with a sliced apple. The tofu was way too tough and the tomatoes were overripe. They forgot to put the vegenaise on it and when I went up to ask for some they acted as if I were lying about it. The people working there were very inattentive and were more concerned with their conversations than they were helping customers. I understand it's a cafe but they had almost nothing to drink if you're not a coffee person. Also, the chocolate chip cookies we got were overcooked and didn't taste very good. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone or go back... ever.

Pros: interesting building
Cons: limited menu, unfriendly staff, hard to find
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Not what you would expect, but vegan items

3 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

Earth House is not what you are going to expect, because its a little cafe counter inside of a big empty church. Parking consists of only a few spots along the back of the church. Finding the place in a maze of one way streets is not easy either. I wouldn't recommend seeking this place out if you are just in town as a vegan, but if you live here its probably worth putting up with the pitfalls to try out some vegan dishes. We were the only ones in the cafe at the time and a band was setting up somewhere else... Its a little off putting and the whereabouts of the kitchen food prep were of concern, as well. I think had we arrived on another day things would have been better. We couldn't figure out where we were supposed to sit as there was no seating. Call ahead before this adventure.

Pros: vegan food
Cons: weird church, minimal parking, is it a restaurant?
TabithaShearer
TabithaShearer

Best vegan food in town.

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2011

In my opinion, this is the number one place to get vegan food. 100% vegetarian, and MOST menu items are vegan and gluten-free, and everything is clearly noted on the menu board. Menu items are changed often to reflect what's local and in season, and everything is creative and delicious. Portion sizes are NORMAL, not huge...which is a plus in my opinion. Prices are modest - not always cheap, but definitely not expensive. Atmosphere is totally laid back, but it can be a little noisy due the acoustics in the room. And depending on the time/day you go, it may take a while to get your food. That never bothers me, because I am never in a hurry to leave Earth House.

Everyone who desires veg food should eat here. It can be tricky to find, but totally worth it!

Pros: vegan and gluten free menu, local and organic, great atmosphere
Cons: slightly noisy, sometimes a little slow

lpass809
lpass809

Great atmosphere!

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2011

Lots of great choices that are mostly vegan and gluten-free. I loved the atmosphere of this place. Very conducive to friendly lunches, study dates, or just reading a good book while enjoying good food.

Pros: varied selection, great atmosphere, friendly staff
piratexchicx13
piratexchicx13

Way More Than Fair Trade

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2011

Earth House is the first veg friendly place I've been in my life. I had no idea what to expect and I dreaded feeling left out because I know practically no one in this town. But the woman at the counter was friendly, and knowledgeable about their offerings. She even recommended my new favorite drink, yerba mate tea with honey and rice milk. The mango black bean pizza was killer, with balsamic onions, shredded sweet potato, chunks of mango, poblano peppers and black beans. The sweet and savory flavors comingled in a divine taste that left me wanting more, even though my stomach clearly said 'No way, honey,'. I also sampled a colorful salad with delicate baby greens, candied walnuts, dried cranberries and a luscious tahini-maple dressing that surely came from heaven. All this, while basking in the ambience of a true indie dive. My short but heavenly visit to Earth House was as filling as it was fulfilling, and I can't wait to see what's in store for me next time.

Pros: excellent food , friendly staff, mellow atmosphere
Cons: noisy, salad could have been bigger, a bit expensive
LarryButz
LarryButz

BEST VEGAN FOOD IN INDIANAPOLIS, great prices

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2011

I was in Indianapolis for a week doing some activism and decided to sample all of the vegan food places there. I looked at the menus of everything and planned on going around, but I wound up spending all of my free time at Earth House. The food was great and super affordable. The recipes were creative and turned out delicious. Be prepared for a low-key, hangout atmosphere that will just encourage you to relax and enjoy the food as well as the really groovy decor.

You will enter a pretty traditional-looking church and be totally blown away by a unique cafe with a warm community focus. I'm not a christian and it didn't matter--everyone will feel welcome.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, encouraging you to look around and take things in. They want you to feel at home.

I think I had just about everything on the menu, which changed daily, and constantly stuffed myself. Even then, I stayed under my per diem.

Vegan pizza, soups, salads, all full of nutrition and flavor.

Okay, I have to stop writing now because I'm starting to miss it too much!

Pros: excellent food, relaxed atmosphere, low prices
Shane Rice
Shane Rice

food is back on!

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

It is true that they were not serving food for a time, but they are serving it again. It is served upstairs from the coffee bar area, and not downstairs for the time being. It is vegan, organic, and local...and delicious!

Pros: vegan, organic, local
fbfcn
fbfcn

No food but beautiful Cafe

3 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

They are currently not serving food, since apparently they are without a chef. It was still a very nice atmosphere that was peaceful with plenty of drink choices. The one girl working there was very cute and sweet and made for a pleasant experience. They have some amazing artwork there too.

Pros: Staff, Drink selection
Cons: Not currently serving food
mrukz
mrukz

Great!

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2009

This place is great! A cafe upstairs, and a kitchen downstairs. The cafe upstairs is really nice to sit in, with a high ceiling, couches, and really nice decor. The hall downstairs has a bit more of a community center feel, but is cozy and nice. In any case, one can eat and drink their coffee either upstairs or downstairs. There is also a nice library there, where some classes (yoga, etc.) are held as well.

We had coffee, chai, and food there, and all was great.

The only problem with Earth House is its off location, which may put off some tourists. I made a trip there specifically to check the place out, and I was not disappointed.

Also, for these of you that care about such things, Earth House is run by a co-operative, with volunteers and all. This gives the place a really personal touch, so different from our nation's beloved corporate establishments.

vegbrarian
vegbrarian

Great Food, Great Place

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2009

Indianapolis lost one of a handful of vegan-friendly eateries with the recent closing of the Abbey Coffeehouse. Fortunately, Jenxie's Cafe is a welcome addition to downtown Indianapolis. Located in the basement of the eclectic Earth House (a collective space housed inside a Methodist church) Jenxie's is currently serving during lunch hours with extended evening hours on the weekends (check the website for up-to-date hours.)

On a recent visit my eyes were drawn to the falafel and wheatberry salad. It was the most expensive item on the menu at $9 but it was well worth the price. After a short wait (everything's made to order) I tucked in to a large whole wheat pita stuffed with lightly seasoned falafel and fresh toppings. The wheatberry salad offered a tangy, chewy compliment to the main dish.

I had a great meal and I certainly plan on repeat visits. Vegans might want to ask about which items are vegan or can be veganized, which the staff are welcome to accommodate.

Pros: large portions, local, organic, reasonably priced
Cons: not handicap/wheelchair accessible, limited hours, vegan items not listed
nupe
nupe

Jenxie's in the basement

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2009

Had a great lunch at Jenxie's in the basement of Earth House. Fabulous mushroom burger, sides of wheatberry salad and beets. Wonderful orzo/squash soup and canneloni bean soup! Fresh fabulous flavors.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, taste
marktaos
marktaos

Amazing Vegan Food- Organic, Locally Grown

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2009

This place was a very pleasant surprise! I am in indy for a family reunion downtown for the weekend. The only vegan place in the city is just a few blocks away, and they are only open friday, and also saturday when there are events. The place is in a beautiful old church building. The food was incredible! I ordered falafel, the root vegetable plate, and the soup. All were flavorful and delicious. All the produce is organically and locally grown and all dishes were made from scratch. The staff was friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this place.

Pros: yummy food, organic local food, all vegan!
Cons: only open friday and some saturdays
SKA (SeitanKicksAss)
SKA (SeitanKicksAss)

One Rad Place

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2009

This place is awesome and has serious potential. At this time they don't have that many menu items, but let me tell you the falafel and hummus (made from scratch) are superb. I do have to say, if you're vegan, watch for honey. I've suggested that they use agave nectar in its place - we'll see if they take my advice. In fact the next time I am in there I am going to donate (as this is a co-op) some agave nectar so they can put it out as a coffee/tea sweetener (as they've already got honey and sugars out). They do label items that have honey as vegan, even though honey is not vegan (bees = insects = animals). I understand that there are individuals that live an otherwise vegan lifestyle that consume honey, but there are some vegans (or most??) who do not. Other than that, I've got nothing but positive things to say about Earth House.

Pros: falafel, hummus, atmosphere
Cons: labeling problems
  • MareaKinney-Vegan MareaKinney-Vegan

Hi Ska
    I just wanted to let you know that I have been offering agave nectar since I started managing the cafe in February. I am vegan and will never advertise an item as vegan if contains any (honey included) animal product. In fact, all of our food options are vegan. The only thing not vegan is the cow's milk for espresso drinks. However, we offer soy and rice milk made in house (almond milk coming soon!). We have new menu specials every week.
    Hope to see you here!