Serves meat, veg options available. Focus is on plant-based cuisine, with the option of poultry. Everything is vegan at the core - all soups, dressings, desserts. Uses vegan butter, plant-based milks, and veganaise for all recipes requiring dairy. In addition to ample vegan breakfast, lunch and dinner specials (such as vegan biscuits & gravy and pancakes, black bean burger, or chimichangas), the cafe offers a full espresso bar featuring Rocky Mountain roasted Bongo Billy's organic/fair trade coffee; made-to-order healthy smoothies, vegan and gluten-free desserts. Has parking lot and free wi-fi. At this location since Jan 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
829 E Market St (Campbell)
Louisville, Kentucky 40206
502-749-8911

Open Mon-Fri 11am-6pm, Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 9am-3pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by phoray
TiffanyBright
TiffanyBright

Love, Love, Love

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

My children and I are totally addicted to this place! We have tried just about every vegan option (breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert) and it is hard to pick out a favorite. The food and drinks are so fresh and everything tastes amazing!! Their vegan biscuits and gravy is a hit with one of my girls, one likes the vegan pancakes, my oldest likes the veggie rice bowl and I really can't decide, but if I had to choose I guess I would say the naked burrito is at the top of my list. The staff is extremely friendly and always willing to make a customized vegan cinnamon vanilla hot chocolate for one of my kiddos, while steaming some soy milk for another. There are too many desserts to list, but my oldest is a fan of the gluten free brownie and, oh my goodness, the pineapple cupcake will leave you speechless!

Erejimbo
Erejimbo

nice option off the main area

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

Great staff, interesting building with old vineyard growing in small garden near entrance. Rice and quinoa bowls were fantastic. Also had kids options and pork and turkey options for non-vegans.

Pros: staff, price
  • stacie1128 stacie1128

Hello, while it's true we serve poultry, we do not serve any pork or beef products. Perhaps the tempeh "bacon" or pecan and sunflower seed "sausage" was confused for pork.
    However, thank you for the kind review!

BuddyWheeler
BuddyWheeler

Good food, very friend;y place.

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2014

Very vegan friendly, The food here is really good. Lots of vegan options including several different non-cow milks for coffees. Stop in and give it a try!

Pros: Good food, Friendly people

sarahburnsy
sarahburnsy

Great Place for Everyone!

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2014

I've been back several times and this time I brought the in-laws! They are the "country cookin'" type and they really enjoyed their meal. I got the vegan Ruben which I've had at least three times and I love it! My husband loves the buffalo tempeh wrap and my father on-law got the tempeh BLT! He really enjoyed it and the bonus was the avocado. My mother-in law got the garden salad and was really pleased with the pumpkin seeds. Thanks again Earth Friends!

Pros: Something for everyone, Healthy Food, Local
Rodney J
Rodney J

Great vegan food.

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2013

Cute location. Tucked behind a small grape vineyard in a rapidly developing part of Louisville, NULU. Lots of vegan choices. Very tasty. Recommend the pumpkin seed wrap when in season. 3 bean salad excellent. The vegan BLT is my favorite right now.

Pros: flavorful, tasty, quaint
Cons: small portion sizes
AlissaAgonist
AlissaAgonist

great!

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

Lovely place, super friendly staff. Great food too, lots of vegan options. The staff have me two free vegan desserts too since there was a bit of a wait for my order. Highly recommended.

christina_h
christina_h

Delicious Food, Very Nice Staff!

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2013

I have popped by Earth Friends Cafe for lunch/dessert a several times in the past year. I make a point in ordering something different each trip and everything has been phenomenal!

A few of my favorites are the reuben, apple and smoked cheddar tempeh sandwich, white bean wrap and buffalo tempeh. The side options and desserts are incredibly tasty!

This adorable cafe is filled with compassion- in the food and in the staff. Be prepared to be greeted and served with genuine smiles and friendly chats!

Whether you live in Louisville or are driving through, Earth Friends Cafe is a must try!

Pros: Delicious food, Well-priced, Friendly service
Raesock
Raesock

Great breakfast!

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

We are in Louisville a lot to see relatives and I was so stoked when this place opened! There aren't many places to get a vegan breakfast (unless all you want is oatmeal) and this place has tons of options! I got the vegan panini with strawberries and vegan cream cheese and it was SO GOOD! My husband got the EFC breakfast burrito and he liked it too. The service was great and our waitress was attentive and knowledgable. We'll definitely be back next time we're in town! I've got to try the vegan waffles!

Pros: vegan breakfast, good food, great service
AuraCV
AuraCV

Great coffee cafe!

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

A few weeks ago Earth Friends Cafe relocated to the neighborhood where I work. I had been previously to their New Albany location and found it tasty and enjoyable, but slightly out of my way. A while back they put up a poll asking what neighborhood in Louisville their Facebook fans would like for them to relocate. I voted NuLu!! And asked a few other people I know to do the same. I had been keeping up with facebook posts ever since and showed up on opening day at the new location.
I am happy to have the cafe close by for coffee and a hearty and satisfying lunch option. The menu is simple yet diverse and will please even the most picky eater or people with food allergies or who are strict vegans.
I haven spoken with one of the owners and I am happy to report not only do they change their gloves when making vegan or gluten free items, but they also uphold the highest standards regarding purchasing for the cafe right down to the cleaning products. You will find lots of local products from other small businesses including coffee beans from local roasteries and vegan/gluten free baked goods!
It is difficult to please everyone, but I believe that Earth Friends is certainly accomplishing it well. If you fancy coffee, soups, salads, and sandwiches/wraps you will leave satisfied and well-nourished.

Pros: Tons of "milk" options for coffee, Easy parking, great location, Cozy comfort food, GF friendly
Cons: Limited menu, Not open evenings
xsamx
xsamx

Excels on almost all counts

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2013

Earth Friends is a recent transplant from our neighboring city in Indiana, New Albany, where they had a great idea but horrible location on Grant Line Rd. While I believe they still have a location in a library over there, this new spot exceeds it on many levels: more variety, a great location right in the heart of NuLu (across the street from my Crossfit gym!) and beautiful outdoor seating when it warms up (which, in Louisville means next week or next month, who knows!)

The food is pretty good, and the coffee is amazing. Tons of vegan options, including a high-protein bagel with vegan cream cheese - the only place I know of in Louisville as of Feb 2013 where you can get vegan cream cheese served to you - a vegan waffle dish, Morels wraps (see the Morels listing on HappyCow), their own concoctions like "Olive Nut Sandwich" and "Apple Tempeh Melt," and so on. Sides are chips, fruit, and some other interesting things. They also have protein smoothies and vegan treats from Annie May's Sweet Cafe (vegan & gluten-free).

You may wonder why EF uses "cruelty free" in their slogan, along with a plethora of vegan/veggie language, but serves chicken and real cheese. This is a point of contention that I've discussed with the owner since EF has opened, and she's fully aware of the (for lack of a better word) hypocrisy. However, this isn't a point that I'm going to deliberate over or boycott EF because of. The promotion of veganism in this place is strong, and while there may be a conflicting message, it's my hope that by patronizing them and choosing only the vegan options (which many do), their need for serving/sourcing/defending meat will eventually decrease to the point where they no longer need to buy and serve it. I suspect the owner would like this as well, but it often takes time for that kind of progress.

Other cool things: free wifi, nice bathrooms, board games, cool books/magazines, good parking (lot or street), and bike racks out front.

The cafe itself is tucked into the complex on Campbell and Market, so when you see the "A-1 Upholstery" sign, go behind that and you'll see the entrance between all the foliage.

phoray
phoray

Will visit whenever I'm nearby.

4 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

Good stuff, 3-5 vegan options clearly listed on the menu. The fruit is actually edible, not that pre sliced fruit other restaurants keep on ice in the fridge till it's gross at all. Even though they didn't list Frappicinos on the menu, the barista whipped one up (vegan version) for me anyway. They even have raw food desserts.

My omnivore friend loved her vegetarian wrap and said she would visit again herself.

Pros: Food, flexibility, vegan desserts

PART TWO

Reading the message she sent me, it seemed she was deeply upset such a mistake had been made, and offered freebies and a promise to talk to her employees. I never read this message. I really wish I had.

However, after our back and forthing on Happycow (which you can read here on HC) a year ago, she sent a follow up message.

Her exact words:
    ""please go away. Take responsibility for being Vegan. You have to ask a lot of questions. We offer the public options, but you have a huge responsibility in making sure you don't eat non-Vegan. If you eat sugar you are eating charred animals. You sound like an uneducated angry child. We do not need your energy in our cafe. If you are seen here, you will be asked to leave.""

So, after reading the 1st message, for 2 seconds, I reconsidered giving her my business again. Obviously it had been an honest mistake on my part, as I don't use FB much. But the follow up message (I'm supposing in response to my happycow review a yr ago)was rather... immature. As a business, people talk about you; and sometimes silence is the best answer if you can't formulate a calm reply lacking name calling.

I'm in charge of the dine out events of the Louisville Vegetarian Initiative. I have gone out of my way not to frequent her cafe, due to previous misunderstood discourse, with my groups of 5-20. I will continue not to do so as I am "an uneducated angry child." Putting that aside, apparently I would be asked to leave; simply for airing my complaint publicly enough to tick off the owner. Interesting.

• phoray phoray

I guess this will be a two part reply, as HC is being weird.

PART ONE

A yr later, I was clicking through FB messages and came across a yr old message from the owner of this establishment- That I NEVER read until now.

The sequence of events.
    1. I complained on their FB page.
    2. The complaint was removed with no comment made to me (as far as I then knew)
    3. Feeling angry for being "silenced" I posted my complaint on Happycow, a place she could not silence me.
    4. She made a not so nice response to my review, right here on Happycow.
    5. This solidified my dislike of the owner as someone who would not only ignore a complaint; but seemed to also like arguing with a customer.

• stacie1128 stacie1128

This post is ridiculous. I'm the owner-operator of Earth Friends Cafe, I am Vegan, and I can promise you this cafe is very conscious of catering to Vegans. We use Earth Balance butter across the board on everything, Veganaise for mayo, our soups are 100% Vegan. There are non-Vegan items at the cafe, including chicken sourced from a local farm in Kentucky and milk from an Indiana farm, however, we offer almond milk, soymilk and coconut milk options. We have "power" smoothies which use organic fruit. We do stock sugar laden fruit smoothies that are bought already mix - as all coffee shops do - and not healthy, but people want them, so we sell them. We don't pretend they are healthy. We are obviously not McDonald's due the fact that we source all of our meats, cheeses (Organic Valley) and milk from animals that have had lives in the outdoors. The staff member who waited on this person was confused by the fact that she was in fact Vegan due to comments made and previous orders. This particular person had been ordering caramel sauce - commonly known to contain milk - with almond milk for a latte. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON for patrons to be order alternate milks and not be vegan. We have all kinds of people who come in with food sensitivities that are not vegan, but do not eat dairy. It can become very confusing. However, due to this unfortunate incident, we are designing a separate clean menu specifically for Vegans, and when any questions are asked to trigger someone may be Vegan - we will outright ask if the person is Vegan. We are a peaceful place that is big on good service, morals with food, and respecting one's dietary choices.

• phoray phoray

2 months later, I am very upset. Just posted this on their facebook page. This vegan has been a months long customer. I've brought friends. I've brought family. Almost every visit, I got a special frappe made just for me. Being Vegan, I asked the usual questions about ingredients my first order. The server assured me that it was a vegan drink. Each time I arrived for subsequent visits, I ordered specifically vegan things, and asked about specific meal choices to assure I was following my morals. Today, due to the fact I was on a diet, I wanted to see the nutritional information. And came to learn that I had been served a very obviously non vegan drink. The server seemed nonchalant when I found out the mistake; after all, only my morals have been broken it's not like I died... No big? I am very disappointed. I expect a place that caters to vegans to actually know what veganism is. You've broken my trust to know what you're talking about and to be able to serve my needs. If I have to ask about every single ingredient, and the ingredients of your ingredients, then what makes you better than any other random restaurant? I chose to visit because you advertised as catering to vegans, but then your servers don't know what it means... or don't care enough... to know which of your ingredients are actually thus. ALSO... your fruit smoothie was gross. what are you, Mcdonalds? that your "fresh fruit smoothie" is made from something that is essentially blueberry syrup with 180 calories per 4 oz and 45 grams of sugar. Coming from a gal who eats REAL fruit smooothies all the time, maybe you should make space in your freezer for real fruit. They hold up really well over time. Promise.

Dear Owner and Manager of Earth Friends Cafe:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Louisville page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/06/29