"The healthy supermarket." Market chain offering choices in fresh local and organic produce, salad and hot food bar, bulk staple, vegan-friendly items, and other natural grocery. Open daily. more-less

First Review by crystalglen
Julie R
Julie R

GREAT GROCERY STORE

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2011

I have been to both Earth Fares in Asheville. I have also been to the one in Greenville SC (an hour away). All three are great grocery stores. Lots of vegetarian and vegan selections in the deli area and beautiful organic produce. There is also a fantastic salad bar. They sell plants and herbs, as well as vitamins and stuff like that. Try the curry fake-chicken salad from the deli! It is delicious! Another great thing about it is, behind the store there are several huge recycling bins for every type of recycling. I don't know if those bins (they are dumpsters!) belong to Earth Fare, but I am guessing they do. When I leave the area, I miss shopping at this store. (p.s. the reason I give it only 4 happy cows is because they do sell meat.)

Pros: Super-Friendly Staff, Fantastic Deli Selections, Organic Produce
Cons: ISN'T IN MY HOME TOWN!
Anna Marie
Anna Marie

When we travel

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

When we travel we stop at this Earthfare and all of dining needs are met. It is a grocery store so no wait staff. More like cafeteria dining. The healthy/organic food is the draw.

Pros: travel friendly, great food, huge selection
Cons: cafeteria style

AJ Veggie Girl
AJ Veggie Girl

Like the breakfast hot bar...

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2009

I love organic grocery stores and this is a great one, but the main reason I like going to Earth Fare is for the hot breakfast bar. My husband and I are vegan and have found many vegan options on the breakfast bar...on the weekend. We recently visited Asheville during the week and found that there are not as many vegan options on the bar on a weekday as on the weekend, specifically vegan biscuits. We asked about them and were told that they are only made on the weekend. But they do usually have vegan sausage and home fries all the time.

The deli does offer some vegan options at lunchtime, such as vegan BBQ tofu. The bakery had vegan chocolate chip cookies the last time we went.

Earth Fare is definitely worth a visit.

Pros: vegan options, hot breakfast bar, clean
Chrilynhawk
Chrilynhawk

Great place to shop!

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2009

I've been to several Earth Fare stores over the past few years and this is by far my favorite thus far. I also like it in comparison to Green Life Grocery (which is touted as the biggest green grocery in WNC). Earth Fare has a large section of bulk bins, which is the section I visit most often, much bigger than the one I found at Green Life. Everyone on staff I've had the pleasure of meeting has been very friendly as well as being super helpful. I have also gotten advice from random customers while in that store, and been approached by several more asking my advice on products. The overall "vibe" of this Earth Fare is second to none. I highly suggest shopping there!

Pros: large selection, great deli section, amazing staff
Cons: pricey (like all healthfood stores), didnt find a vegan option in the bakery
rockervegan
rockervegan

Heaven for Vegans

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2008

I love this Earth Fare - the amount of vegan choices are practically endless. The store does have meat/dairy/eggs but those items are harder to find - like vegan items in other stores. The vegan chocolate chip cookies and cheesecake were amazing. The vegan potato salad and sea cakes were tasty as well. The ONLY complaint I have is the produce section is small and expensive.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Vegan cheesecake, Wonderful, helpful staff
Cons: Small produce section, Can be expensive
Guest
Guest

Love it!

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2007

I make several trips a week to Earth Fare. A lot of the time, my husband & I go there for lunch. Chef Gail is amazing! The food is wonderful. Sometimes, I am a little turned off by the high prices.

Pros: Tasty food, Helpful employees, Convenient to-go section
Cons: High prices
chandadefoor
chandadefoor

Yummy Food Bar

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2007

I live in Georgia, so I'm familiar with the Earth Fare in Athens. The one we visit in Asheville is the original. We love to eat at the food bar. Last time we visited, I had the seiten loaf, and I must say it was EXCELLENT!!! The other food was great too, and I was impressed that you offered vegan biscuits.

Pros: Food, Options, Selection
Cons: A little pricy
crystalglen
crystalglen

Impressive

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2007

As we were travelling through, felt lucky to find a place to eat and get organic groceries. Echoing the other reviewer, the prices are a bit steep. Our first visit we got there late, so the (delicious!!) buffet was apparently half price. We found out when we went back another time and paid full price (ouch!). Not sure when the special price happens but definitely worth finding out because the food is great but why go broke if you don't have to? We liked the atmosphere but know nothing about the "corporate" agenda behind the scene mentioned in the other review that would sort of dampen our enthusiasm for the place.

Pros: Awesome buffet, Great selection, g Diapers!
Cons: Expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Earth Fare - Westgate: