Vegan doughnut shop located at the Montrose L train stop. Offers a large variety of vegan donut flavors plus coffee, ice cream, and Italian soda. more-less

First Review by chollowell
EmilyBennett3050
EmilyBennett3050

Favourite place on EARTH!

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

I managed to try many veggie/vegan places while on holiday in New York last summer, but Dun-well is the one that I keep thinking about over a year later. The doughnuts are very light, not at all heavy, and they literally melt in your mouth. Everything is freshly made and there is a great array of unique flavours such as peanut butter & jelly, smores, Boston cream, lemon poppy seed, chai tea and butterfinger. Old favourites include chocolate, vanilla, raspberry and almond. It is hard to believe that everything is vegan! Dun-well has won awards for making the best doughnuts in New York and once there it's really not hard to understand why. Visit and visit again. Eat as many as you can! Phenomenal food and a lovely vintage feel to the place too.

Pros: Everything!
Cons: Open one in London - PLEASE!
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Yummy!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2014

I know they have a lot of options listed on their website that they apparently rotate, but we visited three times and pretty much saw the same options (bar one or two) on each visit =(

Having said that they are really great and light- not too sickly/ stodgy/ sugary.....we ended up buying a dozen to take away! I think each day they have like 8 options available, with the option of ice cream and coffees....the coffee was alright, really cool to just sit by the window in this place watching Brooklyn go by. The place looks great too =)

Pros: yummy
SarahBaker
SarahBaker

I dream of donuts

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

Amazing. Everything was great. The place was cute. My donut was called the Homer Simpson. Delicious. I am here for four more days and I am going at least 3 more times. Thank-you so much for existing!

Pros: Donuts are amazing, Cute place, good coffee

Babette
Babette

Perfection

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2014

I arrived at Dun-Well and was disappointed to see that no flavor that night particularly appealed to me (no chocolate, for instance, there were only 4 flavors left). But I chose two anyway (glazed and jelly filled), and to my surprise, it was incredibly good.

And last but not least, I had the butter pecan ice cream there... it is one of the best ice cream I have ever tasted.

Do not miss any oppotunity to go there.

Pros: Go Max Go bars, amazing ice cream, nice doughnut wooden plates
cookiem
cookiem

Old-fashioned feel but oh so vegan

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

As soon as you walk in the door, actually before, this storefront is very appealing. It brings back the concept of an old doughnut shop or more likely a bakery in the earlier half of last century. However, the vegan-ness is definitely of this century and out of this world. I just don't like that I can eat anything there, and so..... I have a tough time deciding what to eat/ order!!!

The most popular seems to be the maple-glazed, or maybe they make less of it... but, either way, it was the favorite flavor I tried. It's a yeast-raised with maple glaze infused throughout the entire doughnut... it's incredible.

The creme filled donuts are alright, pretty good, but for some reason, I did not like the creme filling as much as say Voodoo in Portland. The jelly and pbj were alright, too, but I prefer the plain yeast-raised doughnuts here. Still, I appreciate this venue and will return.

They also have cake doughnuts like the blueberry one, which was delightful.

On top of the doughnuts, they have hand dipped ice cream... drool. Go and enjoy the ice cream with doughnuts, you will be happier afterwards for all the joy you brought to your taste buds!

And… did you know that you can get day-old doughnuts, too? Interesting option if you want more choices!

Pros: Vegan yeast-raised donuts, Vegan ice cream, Vegan!!!
Cons: Donuts have short shelf life
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Amazing vegan donuts

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Amazing vegan donuts, changing flavors of the day, and just plain awesome.

Go here.

Pros: Vegan donuts
joelrama
joelrama

donuts!!!

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2014

Well the donuts are great of course.

I'd love a cream filled option. And cash only is a pain. And the horchata latte seems to really be coffee.

supertramp
supertramp

EAT ALL OF THE DOUGHNUTS

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Amazing doughnuts, great atmosphere, awesome & friendly owners. Couldn't ask for more in a doughnut shop except that they one day become a chain and replace Dunkin Donuts, pretty plz.

Pros: Delicious and nutritious. JK--just delicious, Lovely storefront
Cons: No public bathroom, sorry
xsamx
xsamx

Best Vegan Donuts Ever...

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2013

...second only to Ronald's in Las Vegas! No, it's really hard to decide which is better, honestly. But we had a slew of donuts from Dun-well and they were all incredible. The ice cream was off the chain as well. More places like this!

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

all vegan doughnut shop

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

We arrived with another couple and we all agreed to share to try the different flavors. Although they have over 200 different flavors, about a dozen were on display in the store that day. We tried the blueberry, cherry pie, and peanut butter and jelly ones. Dirk got a doughnut sundae with the root beer doughnut and mint chocolate ice cream. All heavenly. The place has a few tables and stools at the counter. They have an old time décor which is very cute. Be warned they are cash only and have no restroom.

Pros: vegan doughnuts!, vegan doughnuts!, vegan doughnuts!
Cons: cash only, no restroom
Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

Definitely worth the trip!

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

Coming from NZ, a shop selling only vegan donuts was a must-do. Although I had family in the neighbourhood, others should definitely get out to Williamsburg for the food. Dun Well is a charming, rustic shop and the donuts - amazingly fluffy. I went all out and got a chocolate peanut, jam filled, praline and even a pride donut (it was Pride Weekend). Yum!

Pros: Donuts, Fun area, Best donuts in the city!
tab
tab

INCREDIBLE

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2013

These are the best donuts I've had, PERIOD. Easy trip on the L train and SO worth it.

vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

fantastic

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2012

Even non-vegans would love these delights! So fresh, soft and yummy. They also sell the go-max-foods vegan chocolate bars. Free wifi too

turtleveg
turtleveg

OMG

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

now I see why they won best donuts in NYC! Donuts are just one of those things that is tough to find vegan (especially the yeast variety like they have at DunWell) so it's an extra special treat to have a place like DunWell. The chocolate covered; glazed; and jelly filled remind me of my childhood. The guys running the place are the friendliest folks! It's a good thing I don't live close by though or else I would eat one every single day.

chollowell
chollowell

THE BEST DOUGHNUT EVER!!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2012

NEW YORK DAILy NEWS RATED DUN-WELL DOUGHNUTS #1 BEST DOUGHNUT SHOP IN NYC!!!!

Pros: EVERYTHING

Dear Owner and Manager of Dun-Well Doughnuts: