Duke's Alehouse and Kitchen

Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant and bar. Veg choices including pizza, tempura green beans, hummus, salad, sandwiches. Uses local and some organic ingredients; there is a list on the wall of the different farms in the area where they are sourcing ingredients (and also grows some of the produce). Half-price veggie food on Mondays. Vegan beer and wine selections, too. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

debbo2
debbo2

Awesome menu

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

Great place for vegetarians. Gluten free options too. Great beer selection. Lots of craft beers. Food is awesome. They use local ingredients and have a no waste policy.

Pros: Great food
Lindsey
Lindsey

Legitimate Vegan Options in the Suburbs

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

My husband and I ordered the grilled vegetable flatbread pizza that is made with Daiya. The crust was delicious! It had plenty of Daiya on it too. We had the jalapeno hummus for an appetizer, which was tasty and a nice portion. My husband was very happy with the beer selection. Here's the one thing that makes me maybe not want to come back...the second I walked in - the smell of urine hit me! I thought maybe it was just the restrooms leaking into the bar/entrance area, but the smell was also in the dining area. I went to the bathroom, and it did not smell like that in the bathroom. It smelled like air freshener. They must use the same dirty mop for the bathroom and the rest of the restaurant. Yuck!!! Other than that, the service was friendly; it was a pretty cool building, and the location is great - downtown Crystal Lake is really nice. Maybe the smell was a one-time thing. I'll probably give it another chance sometime. There were a lot of other people there who seemed to be regulars, so it must not have been bothering everyone.

Pros: options actually marked vegan on menu, friendly, tasty pizza
Cons: place smelled like urine!, somewhat inconvenient parking, could have more vegan items
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Duke's Alehouse and Kitchen

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

Last weekend I was shocked by the offerings of Duke's Alehouse...way out in Crystal Lake at that! I ordered the raw pasta, not expecting my dish to be awesome. But my assumption was wrong, that raw pasta was very good. It was made of zucchini and had sun dried tomatoes and olive tapenade - I didn't even have to salt my dish. I have a lot of friends in the area, so I'll certainly go back and try their other offerings. Certainly Duke's was above my expectations.

hungrig
hungrig

Great option in the suburbs

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

It's really nice to have a place with a few good vegan options out here. My first time there I had the raw spaghetti salad. Very healthy, tasted ok. Second time I had the vegan pizza that comes topped with arugula salad. It was excellent! I also like the fried tempura beans. Love the huge beer selection. Plenty of vegan options there. Only negative was the waiter who called me 'hun.' I found that extremely rude.

Pros: Multiple vegan options, Nearby, Great beer selection
Cons: Rude waiter
MattyB
MattyB

Good food, good beer, good people

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2011

This is a nice restaurant/bar that has a few vegan and vegetarian meals, and a great beer selection. The establishment is environmentally conscious and is a hidden gem in an area with very little to offer vegans. Located right at the Metra station in Crystal Lake.

Pros: Vegan choices in a town that offers none, Good beer selection
Cons: Only a few vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of Duke's Alehouse and Kitchen: